IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

26 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

Is it true that Uptone recommends that when using an external PSU that 12V is best- or is this incorrect?

I'm not asking for listening impressions- but rather from a technical angle- is there a difference which voltage is used as long as it is between 7-12V?

As per Alex:

"As indicated in the EtherREGEN User Guide—and on the back panel of the unit itself—any +DC voltage in the range of 7~12V is perfectly fine.

The EtherREGEN consumes the same wattage regardless of input voltage. 
The heat does not vary with input voltage.

And—assuming same performance of the power supply at different voltages—the sonic performance of EtherREGEN will be the same from 12V as from 7V."

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

18 minutes ago, PYP said:

As per Alex:

"As indicated in the EtherREGEN User Guide—and on the back panel of the unit itself—any +DC voltage in the range of 7~12V is perfectly fine.

The EtherREGEN consumes the same wattage regardless of input voltage. 
The heat does not vary with input voltage.

And—assuming same performance of the power supply at different voltages—the sonic performance of EtherREGEN will be the same from 12V as from 7V."

Thank you.  Apparently I did need to be corrected....  There is an audiogon review of the ER which claims Alex told the reviewer that 12 V is best.  I will assume PYP has the correct info....

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

Since the POWER does not depend on voltage, the CURRENT goes down as the voltage goes up. Getting a supply that can supply all the current needed seems to be far more problematic than getting the higher voltage, so we generally recommend using a higher voltage if you have it available. Not because it is "better" but because you will have a much higher probability your supply will have enough current.

John S.

I'm not verse in the subject matter, but the logic doesn't jibe.

If the current goes down as voltage goes up, and our aim is to get enough current, shouldn't we reduce to voltage so the current goes up?

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

and voltage does not create heat ... current does ?

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

20 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

So at 7V,- the minimum voltage, how many aps are needed from my PSU for optimal functioning?

I think my Teddy Pardo is 7V, 2A?

From UpTone's website (EtherREGEN, Other Specifications section):  "DC power input range — 7V/1.4A, 9V/1.0A, 12V/0.8A"

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Alex, that does make sense and I know you want to move on, but it begs this question: with the *LPS 1.2,* is there any reason to run *it* at any particular output voltage?  I believe you suggested that I run mine at 12v, but does it actually make a difference, given that the load won't vary at the powered device?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

• 2 months later...

Wow, 54 pages deep on this thread. I'm a little late to the party. My etherregen is hours old. I can report a major upgrade in soundstage layering, width and depth. More 3D. The transient decay can be beautiful. A reduction in harshness and brittleness to the point of satisfaction. I can rock Led Zeppelin albums again. But, it didn't fix the problem that has vexed me for so long. I have a problem with high frequency metal percussion. High frequency cymbals and the like get distorted in time. I stream through roon, DSD, MQA, FLAC, NOS, OS, same problem. Have tried filter, after filter, after filter. Seems album dependent. Do you guys hear high frequency metal percussion junk on these tracks? Ahmad Jamal, Ahmad Jamal's Alhambram (live): Sweet and Lovely? Or Duo Brothers, Cookie Stars: Cookie Stars? Or Hadouk Trio, Utopies: Suave Corridor? HELP!

Qnap NAS (roon)>>Asus Lyra Mesh>>EtherRegen>>Mytek Brooklyn Bridge>>Parasound JC5>>Magnepan 1.7i

Power Conditioning: Emotiva cmx-2, Furman P-1800 PFR

Cables: Mytek BB: audioquest water xlr and NRG Z3 ac power cord

JC5: Furutech FP-S55N w/ FI-48 connectors ac power cord

Ethernet: DH Labs Reunion Cat8 w/ Linkup Cat8 Connectors 

Magnepan 1.7i: Audioquest rocket 11 w/ AQ psc jumpers

Gr8tful to be an audiophile, and in a place measuring doesn't equate to science. Sheesh. Cheers!

2 hours ago, Gr8tful said:

Do you guys hear high frequency metal percussion junk on these tracks? Ahmad Jamal, Ahmad Jamal's Alhambram (live): Sweet and Lovely? Or Duo Brothers, Cookie Stars: Cookie Stars? Or Hadouk Trio, Utopies: Suave Corridor?

Have listened to the Hadouk Trio Utopies several times previously (not my favorite of the Trio, but I enjoy it) and never heard a problem.  Just listened to it now streaming via Roon/Qobuz and it sounded very good indeed, especially for a 16 bit recording.  No frequency anomalies.

My first eR took at least a month to settle in to hear 95% of its qualities, but took longer for the high frequencies to even out.  Just my system/room/ears, but if your HF sounded fine before the eR, I suggest you give it longer to settle in/break in.   Have fun.  

6 hours ago, PYP said:

Have listened to the Hadouk Trio Utopies several times previously (not my favorite of the Trio, but I enjoy it) and never heard a problem.  Just listened to it now streaming via Roon/Qobuz and it sounded very good indeed, especially for a 16 bit recording.  No frequency anomalies.

My first eR took at least a month to settle in to hear 95% of its qualities, but took longer for the high frequencies to even out.  Just my system/room/ears, but if your HF sounded fine before the eR, I suggest you give it longer to settle in/break in.   Have fun.  

Thanks PYP, the problem was there before. ER brought improvements all around the problem. Starting to suspect the converse digital streamer in the BB is the problem. Guess the only way to test that theory is with the optical rendu! Cheers!

8 hours ago, Nikko1960 said:

LOL, if you are liking the ER, then you need to add the AfterDark clock (see their forum).  I did and it takes the sound to a whole other level.  I bought the Queen version with the matching LPSU, and my only regret was not ordering the Emperor version.  It's that good.

I also bought a used UltraCap v1.2 off EBay to power the ER, and that brings a less substantial but nevertheless noticeable improvement.

ER=🥳🥳  ER+AD=🥳🥳🥳 Not absolutely needing AD but obvious improvement albeit almost 200% more for my double crown. Save $ on cabling in powercord, lps, ethernet cable etc. with stock ones and have an oxco 🙏

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

20 minutes ago, richard_crl032 said:

ER=🥳🥳  ER+AD=🥳🥳🥳 Not absolutely needing AD but obvious improvement albeit almost 100% more for my double crown. Save $ on cabling in powercord, lps, ethernet cable etc. with stock ones and have an oxco 🙏

I agree 100% with Richard here, and found the same thing.  Bought the same Queen unit.  I did use my HDPlex power supply for it.

13 hours ago, Gr8tful said:

Magnepan 1.7i: Audioquest rocket 11 w/ AQ psc jumpers

Gr8tful to be an audiophile, and in a place measuring doesn't equate to science. Sheesh. Cheers!

Hi Gr8tful,

Off topic but cannot help to notice that you are using the nice 1.7i which I had in addition to earlier 1.7 ... fond memories just 2-3 yrs ago.

You may wish to consider 100% reversible and worthwhile modification of the crossover made by Humble hifi for me ... 

Cheers.

Richard

Screenshot_20210911-233735_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20210911-233605_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20210911-234449_Drive.jpg

On 9/11/2021 at 9:19 AM, Jud said:

I've seen more discussion of crossover mods for Maggie 1.7 and 1.7i than perhaps any other speaker, so I'm thinking there's something to this (crossover mod).

Yes, back the day--when we could still obtain the specialized plain films for our film-and-foil MusiCaps (originally at Hovland Company in yellow and then under UpTone in blue)--Madisound used to blast through their Speaker MusiCap stock most months of the values sold to Magnepan modders.

477485811_MaggieMusiCapmod.jpg.30d2c8ade2be48eefd6ecb50cd4e29ca.jpg

On 9/10/2021 at 9:04 PM, Gr8tful said:

Qnap NAS (roon)>>Asus Lyra Mesh>>EtherRegen>>Mytek Brooklyn Bridge>>Parasound JC5>>Magnepan 1.7i

Power Conditioning: Emotiva cmx-2, Furman P-1800 PFR

I share no equipment with your system so my remarks have to be limited, with the exception of the Emotiva. If you haven't already, you might try as I did with success, removing it to test the problem area without it. I can't say it specifically improved high frequency edge you're hearing, but it did improve the ease and naturalness in my system of the high frequency reproduction overall. I was always curious if I could identify which piece of equipment removing the Emotiva affected the most, if any, but liked the improvement too much to go back. I moved on to a Topaz Isolation Transformer and didn't look back.

iMac 27" with local music files > Audirvana Studio > Router/ Modem> etherRegan )JS-2 LPS > Sablon > 2nd etherRegan (LPS 1.2))>UltraRendu (LPS-1.2)> Schiit Yggy > Ayre K5 XE MP Preamp > Ayre v5 Amp > Aerial 10-T Speakers. PC's, SC's and  IC's Cerious Technology Matrix and Ghent DC cords. Gaia under components and speakers. 1 Topaz 1k Iso, BPT power center. Maestro wall plug, dedicated 20 amp run to equipment, second run to distant iMac/Router, BK Precision 1604 and 2nd Topaz.