IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

@Rsbrsvp In my (limited experience) the differences between modules range from negligible to quite noticeable, I suspect the outcome also depends on which switches you are using them in. The issue is that 'quite noticeable' can mean 'noticeably worse'!

Right now, with relatively few people posting about this topic, it feels a bit of lottery buying modules and hoping for the best... but it is a topic I want to look into further.

3 hours ago, jandersonhill said:

Right now, with relatively few people posting about this topic, it feels a bit of lottery buying modules and hoping for the best... but it is a topic I want to look into further.

This should be discussed in other threads. If you use the search function, you should find good posts about SFP+ modules, brand, what laser may be preferred and why, and single mode vs multi mode. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57686-the-etherregen-thread-for-various-network-cable-power-experiences-and-experiments/page/94/?tab=comments#comment-1137230

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/24002-optical-network-configurations/?tab=comments#comment-427434

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/62352-finisar-sfp-modules-for-audio-grade-network-switch-group-buy-for-audiophilestylecom/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-1132280

51 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

This should be discussed in other threads. If you use the search function, you should find good posts about SFP+ modules, brand, what laser may be preferred and why, and single mode vs multi mode. 

Funnily enough, reading the threads using the search function is how I ended up trying out different modules in the first place. My conclusion is this still feels a bit of a lottery, however I agree that this could be split into another topic.

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I already went through many of these threads and bought a highly recommended Finisar module.  I still really like my ER's without fiber and no OM, and I refuse to start testing all these modules.  Just to expensive and time consuming.

If to my ears fiber cannot beat copper with any Finisar module, than I am not going down this road.  Again, I know almost everyone out there prefers fiber over copper, but if my ears are not convinced of this in the next week, I will have to go with my ears. I would not have even given my OM so many chances if it were not for the overwhelming support of it by audiophiles.  But this almost universal support forces me to try..

27 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

I already went through many of these threads and bought a highly recommended Finisar module.  I still really like my ER's without fiber and no OM, and I refuse to start testing all these modules.  Just to expensive and time consuming.

If to my ears fiber cannot beat copper with any Finisar module, than I am not going down this road.  Again, I know almost everyone out there prefers fiber over copper, but if my ears are not convinced of this in the next week, I will have to go with my ears. I would not have even given my OM so many chances if it were not for the overwhelming support of it by audiophiles.  But this almost universal support forces me to try..

All say wireless sucks but my mesh point sounded repeatedly better to my ears than hardwiring from router .. that is all that matters to me.

Any taker for my 25m supra cat 8 cable ? Discounted usd200 via paypal with free global shipping.

Cheers.

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

Difference from what?

The brain can only ‘remember” sounds (to compare carefully) for a matter of seconds. 

that’s why quick a/b testing is the only true way to evaluate equipment. 

14 days is a total bust for memory / comparison. 

Hifi: Qobuz, Roon, Wiim Pro, Mutec MC3+USB, Mutec SF 10 120SE, Grace Designs M903, ADAM Audio A5X  + sub.

Portable: iPhone 13 pro max, Qobuz, Airpod Pro 2, calibrated with Mimi audiogram / apple health 

17 hours ago, Pro Jules said:

quick a/b testing is the only true way to evaluate equipment. 

For me quick a/b testing is the worst way to assess audio equipment.  I can't listen to music properly in that state of mind. and for short a period.  When I relax, listen and absorb my favorite pieces of music in a normal way, it becomes clear to me if the equipment or settings are working well, or not. 

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

13 hours ago, Superdad said:

I usually avoid such debates—and they really have no place in this thread—but what you describe is about how I personally make comparisons. Though I do give time for run-in of new pieces and I try to listen to a variety of music (mostly real acoustic instruments and voices recorded in real spaces—even though my tastes run broader). 

Isn't this thread supposed to be "listening impressions"?

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

Yes but the conversation was veering into the timeless arguments about “how” to form a listening impression. 9_9

Not ‘timeless’, more ‘technical’ (for me) - when comparing an in-place gear item with a replacement, what is the ‘listening’ effect of having to power down a clock, even short term

eg mucking around with those DX boxes (that JS was highly sceptical about) I turned off the modem & I guess there’d be a 10 minute lapse before it was all functioning again ... how long for the clock(s) involved to be where it was - so that an A-B is possible?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

6 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

..initially I was impressed by its detail, but hated it after a week or two. 

Sorry to keep this veering o.t. but I expect for many (and that has included myself) it's easy to mistake that initial difference in sound for better, even if it isn't. It's human to do, and we're only human. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is it true that Uptone recommends that when using an external PSU that 12V is best- or is this incorrect?

I'm not asking for listening impressions- but rather from a technical angle- is there a difference which voltage is used as long as it is between 7-12V?

Higher voltage = lower current into ER for same power needed and lower heat ?

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones