IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

6 hours ago, rtsusc83 said:

Alex, many thanks!  I received mine today. Hooked up and running! Easy Peasy!  All I can say is WOW!  Even at low volume, I can hear more detail!  I can tell the difference with the music I am very familiar with.  Most definitely one of my best purchase in my pursuit of enhancing my music streaming!

Bob

yeah great, after a few weeks of use it will sound even better 😄

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, got about 200 hours on the etherregen now. Like many have claimed, a layer of grain has been removed.  I wouldn't characterize it as "huge", as far as upgrades and sound quality improvements go, as I have done quite a few lately, but the improvement is definitely there. (Perhaps my ethernet is not as dirty as others?)

A quick listen and I could see someone thinking it is like detail has been lost, but that was the glare and haze that was riding on top of the detail. But I didn't think there was any grain or glare in my system! Low level details are more easily identified, as the background seems a little blacker, and perhaps dynamics seem slightly increased as a result? Definitely smoother and more analog sounding. 

I'll add a few choices to the many good suggestions in this thread: 

Fleetwood Mac- Second hand News

3 tracks of guitar, the first one in the left channel, another in the right, and a muted low level strum in the right centre. Pick any of them: All three are better resolved and more natural with the ER in the chain. There is so much going on in many of these Lindsay Buckingham produced gems. 

Neil Young - The Needle and the Damage Done

One guy and his guitar. What better way to show the analog sound. His voice sounds more realistic, and the guitar sounds, well, more acoustic. And of course every file is MQA free 44.1 Khz 16 bit: thanks for coming back to Tidal Neil 😍

Now to hook up this Audio Sensibility Supra ethernet between the ER and the Playpoint in place of the $2 one and see if that improves anything.

IMG_2204.thumb.JPG.25376536a864f5771cba510a02a6a00f.JPG

Roon/Squeeze>Cisco2960>EtherRegen>SOTM DCBL Cat7>Antipodes K50>Jorma AES>WeissDAC501>Acoustic Zen Silver ref II>Marchand XM44>Acoustic Zen Absolute>Apollon NCx500 / Acoustic Zen Matrix II>VTV NC500>modified Magnepan 3.6R: Audioquest Hurricane & Zavfino Silver Dart power cords, Solid tech reference rack of silence with feet of silence, PSM156 power conditioner/ultimate PC, Plixir BDC power supply, Audio Sensibility DC, Gaia II, Primacoustics absorption and DIY diffuser room treatments

Huge in this no end pursue does not come at usd700 ? 😅

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

I have the same experiences with audioquest niagara and the associated power cables.
In my opinion, everything is important and clearly observable in the chain:

- A good grounding system and the prevention of ground loops.

- Using an LPS anywhere with proper fuses and cables.

- Modem/router also equipped with LPS and good cables and also a correct grounding system, which also prevents ground loops.

- The use of the correct filters and/or amplifiers and grounding on the CAI system which is linked to the modem/router.

- Using a good OCXO clock on the ER, also with LPS and good cables

On 2/17/2022 at 2:17 PM, watts said:

Okay, got about 200 hours on the etherregen now. Like many have claimed, a layer of grain has been removed.  I wouldn't characterize it as "huge", as far as upgrades and sound quality improvements go, as I have done quite a few lately, but the improvement is definitely there. (Perhaps my ethernet is not as dirty as others?)

A quick listen and I could see someone thinking it is like detail has been lost, but that was the glare and haze that was riding on top of the detail. But I didn't think there was any grain or glare in my system! Low level details are more easily identified, as the background seems a little blacker, and perhaps dynamics seem slightly increased as a result? Definitely smoother and more analog sounding. 

I'll add a few choices to the many good suggestions in this thread: 

Fleetwood Mac- Second hand News

3 tracks of guitar, the first one in the left channel, another in the right, and a muted low level strum in the right centre. Pick any of them: All three are better resolved and more natural with the ER in the chain. There is so much going on in many of these Lindsay Buckingham produced gems. 

Neil Young - The Needle and the Damage Done

One guy and his guitar. What better way to show the analog sound. His voice sounds more realistic, and the guitar sounds, well, more acoustic. And of course every file is MQA free 44.1 Khz 16 bit: thanks for coming back to Tidal Neil 😍

Now to hook up this Audio Sensibility Supra ethernet between the ER and the Playpoint in place of the $2 one and see if that improves anything.

IMG_2204.thumb.JPG.25376536a864f5771cba510a02a6a00f.JPG

200 hours is a little too short. Give it 360 hours and the ER will open up even more. The sound will plateau after that and that grain will be gone. 24/7 burn in with signal even better.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

On 2/18/2022 at 4:18 AM, Johnnydev said:

I have the same experiences with audioquest niagara and the associated power cables.
In my opinion, everything is important and clearly observable in the chain:

- A good grounding system and the prevention of ground loops.

- Using an LPS anywhere with proper fuses and cables.

- Modem/router also equipped with LPS and good cables and also a correct grounding system, which also prevents ground loops.

- The use of the correct filters and/or amplifiers and grounding on the CAI system which is linked to the modem/router.

- Using a good OCXO clock on the ER, also with LPS and good cables

Johnnydev, how does one install a good grounding system?

11 hours ago, chungjh said:

I have ER running into Lumin X1 streamer/DAC. I have seen some improvement using the fiber into Lumin X1, but I am using a cheap $150 setup from Amazon. What can I get to get a jump on sound quality in terms of the fiber connection?

Lumin X1/ER user here. I have found my best sound quality to be when connecting the ER A-side optical straight to the Lumin optical. Anytime I added a conversion for fiber it degraded the sound quality. 

• 5 months later...

Has anyone tried both the EtherRegen and OpticalRendu? My current Roon hardware has been in place for several years and I am considering a refresh. I'm broadly feeling that one of these solutions will be the way to go, but quite honestly I am lost as to which to choose...

Owner feedback would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

Has anyone tried both the EtherRegen and OpticalRendu? My current Roon hardware has been in place for several years and I am considering a refresh. I'm broadly feeling that one of these solutions will be the way to go, but quite honestly I am lost as to which to choose...

Do note that both products are currently discontinued and out of stock, and almost rare as hen's teeth on the used market. Personally, I swear by the oR (I have the Roon only version), but have no experience with the eR. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

6 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

Lot's of folks have and have reported about it.  Here is one:

:D

26 minutes ago, TimF said:

I own an Er and have done for some time. Is powered by Sean Jacobs DC3. Can’t hear any improvements with it in. Maybe v2 will be better. 

I have the ER with Paul Hynes SR4T and it makes a huge improvement for me. I totally get that you have your own experience, but it seems that maybe you are the outlier as most report a fairly decent uptick in SQ with the ER and even more once a quality LPS is added. I couldn't live without the ER+SR4T!

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Indeed.

Thankfully, the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe (redesigned with parts more readily available) should be available again within about 2 months;

And at UpTone we are making good progress on EtherREGEN Gen2--with a number of internal technical improvements as well as Gigabit capability on the 'B' port. Have already invested about $30K in chosen chips for production--so that we do not get skunked once we are through design/test/beta and ready to produce boards.

:)

This is good and interesting news!

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

1 hour ago, Pokey77 said:

I have the ER with Paul Hynes SR4T and it makes a huge improvement for me. I totally get that you have your own experience, but it seems that maybe you are the outlier as most report a fairly decent uptick in SQ with the ER and even more once a quality LPS is added. I couldn't live without the ER+SR4T!

Maybe, although I do have a £1000+ psu on it, good cables and a decent system. Who knows!?

2 hours ago, TimF said:

I own an Er and have done for some time. Is powered by Sean Jacobs DC3. Can’t hear any improvements with it in. Maybe v2 will be better. 

Why have you kept it in your system for "some time" if you "can't hear any improvements with it in".

11 minutes ago, Iving said:

Why have you kept it in your system for "some time" if you "can't hear any improvements with it in".

Because I like the comfort factor, I have just left it there along with mains cables and fuses. I like to experiment with things that people recommend. I hope this doesn’t offend you. 

1 hour ago, TimF said:

Maybe, although I do have a £1000+ psu on it, good cables and a decent system. Who knows!?

That's a lot of power supply on a null component ... would you post your "decent system"? Not on your profile.

My eR is in an offline system - between PC and RedNet DDC - serving as both noise mitigator and optical/copper switch. I was one of the first to own an eR. Have always been able to hear a good delta even in primitive configs. of my system. I have a Farad Super3 12V on my eR. I just wouldn't be without it.

afaik production of the original eR was thwarted by parts shortages. So it will be interesting to read "listening impressions" of the eventual v2 - particularly whether it is better than v1.