IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

On 2/8/2021 at 9:58 PM, Superdad said:

Our shop is getting crowded and expansion is planned for this year as we have several other new products to roll out in the coming months.

Hi Alex, 

Is it too much to tell us about the timeline? 
Can’t sleep! Too anxious. 
Pleaseeeeeee!

🤗😂🤗

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, http404 said:

WHOA! Not at all subtle!

The cat ate yet another optical cable between my fiber media converters (grrrr) so I decided to try the ER. My hopes were along the lines of the improvement I got from powering my UltraRendu with an UltraCap LPS 1.2. Forget that ... more along the lines of putting the Tesla in Ludicrous mode ... big grins! Thanks guys.

aren’t cats awesome, hide the fiber better. 👍

You could use one FMC and go optical into the ER.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

1 hour ago, MarkusBarkus said:

Naw, it's a dietary fiber issue. Sounds like you'd better switch back to Cat6 for better resolution. 😽

Just as long as they don't start making the fiber optic cables with soy-based plastics.  We have a major problem with pack-rats around our rural home and they have already disabled two of our vehicles. >:( Auto makers use soy-based wire insulation and component plastics and the rats love to eat that stuff! 

2 hours ago, http404 said:

My hopes were along the lines of the improvement I got from powering my UltraRendu with an UltraCap LPS 1.2. Forget that ... more along the lines of putting the Tesla in Ludicrous mode ... big grins! Thanks guys.

That's really great. Many thanks!

And to all those waiting:

210 EtherREGEN circuit boards arrived to us this Monday.  My staff has already flash programmed and tested all of them. Tomorrow we start affixing heat sinks to the chips and when the thermal adhesive dries we will install in cases, clean, and kit up in retail boxes. Will begin shipping the domestic units by the 11th or 12th, then the internationals (which take more time due to export paperwork).  So all will depart on time or early--not later than the 17th.

There are still a few spots left in the March batch, so if you are about to land on the "buy" side of the fence, now would be a good time to get your order in.  Have been so busy that we have not even begun to schedule the next 250 boards after these. We are partially constrained by world shortages of certain unique vendor circuit parts.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Just as long as they don't start making the fiber optic cables with soy-based plastics.  We have a major problem with pack-rats around our rural home and they have already disabled two of our vehicles. >:( Auto makers use soy-based wire insulation and component plastics and the rats love to eat that stuff! 

Sounds like you need a few rat traps in the engine bay!

Super stoked for you on the continued demand for the ER. I just love mine with a PHynes SR4T power supply.

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

16 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

Naw, it's a dietary fiber issue. Sounds like you'd better switch back to Cat6 for better resolution. 😽

I've always suspected that the E in Cat6E (etc.) was for Expletive when the furry fiend chews something new.

15 hours ago, Superdad said:

You just need to use chicken wire like they do in Canada!  Then you would be all good! 😉

https://westkootenayhiking.ca/porcupine-proof-vehicles/

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

4 hours ago, PYP said:

If you try the chicken wire solution for your setup, please provide before and after pictures. ;)

I'm sure it won't be long before we can get special audiophile grade chicken wire starting at $250 a foot. The rocks are likely to be expensive though!

34 minutes ago, http404 said:

I'm sure it won't be long before we can get special audiophile grade chicken wire starting at $250 a foot. The rocks are likely to be expensive though!

Group buy opportunity!   Will also need some anti-vibration material for the chicken wire.  If the wire is copper, would this be a faraday cage?  I'm glad you are going to try this and report back.  Thanks!

I'm sure folks will prefer tungsten to rocks.  But back to the thread....

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

A little Guidance please. Hope this is the right thread.

I just ordered an EtherRegen, which should arrive by the end of the month. As a background, I purchased a Bryston 3.14 steamer/dac. It will only receive DSD via USB input. I was hoping to use my Sony HAP-Z1es, but it does not want to work.  DSD plays fine, but internet radio, cpm etc all I get is loud white noise. 

So, back to a Mac mini currently used as computer. Plan to pick up a 2018 model and use it or current 2011 (perhaps add MMK)  model for music only. Purchased Audirvana which I quite like. Dug out original sotm sms-200. I have been able to send music via dlna? to the Bryston, a first for me. I'm not interested in Roon, Tidal etc. just internet radio and perhaps Spotify if it goes to cd quality. 

It appears that people are evenly split between sotm sms-200/Ultra/Neo etc and the UltraRendu. For those using the sotm do you still need/use the Iso Regen before your dac or does the EtherRegen take care of that? Now I have a chance to trade my sms-200 for an sms-ultra for a used unit at a reasonable price. The trade or a new ultrarendu will cost the same.

My understanding is that the ultrarendu has regen module built in. It also talks to Audirvana and has support to Spotify.  

Does the MMK mod only help if the mini is in the stereo rack or also on a dlna set up. Any preference ? Not sure if I should keep the music mini next to dac or other room.  Musically what have you found.

Thank you for your time.

56 minutes ago, tubegem said:

A little Guidance please. Hope this is the right thread.

I’m struggling to understand you. 
It seems you have 3 or 4 products doing the same thing. Your problem with the Sony HAP-Z1es must be related to settings. 

Can you explain how you like this to work ? Make a drawing. 

Planned to edit this to say 'might further improve the sound as YMMV', but one of the children banged their head and I found I could no longer edit this when I got back!

A USB regenerator would fit between the sms-200 and the Bryston. AudioQuest, iFi, Uptone Audio, SOtM and Innuos sell them at various price points.

52 minutes ago, jandersonhill said:

Mac mini -> EtherRegen -> sms-200 -> Bryston DAC

I think the SMS200 or a Renu isn’t needed. Your Bryston 3.14 has Ethernet in. The Mac can be anywhere in your network.

Why would you use USB ?

If any Rendu should be considered, it should be opticalRendu. 

A usb regen after a Rendu is normally used with the Microrendu. (It’s equal the ultraRendu). 

Sell the SMS 200 and buy a clock from AfterDark. (Or a second EtherRegen 😀)

43 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I think the SMS200 or a Renu isn’t needed. Your Bryston 3.14 has Ethernet in. The Mac can be anywhere in your network.

Why would you use USB ?

A usb regen after a Rendu is normally used with the Microrendu. (It’s equal the ultraRendu). 

Consider 1. the upsides of the new mac M1 & 2. the usefulness of an NAA to mac upsampling ie optical rendu or say hqp naa.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

1 hour ago, jamesg11 said:

Consider 1. the upsides of the new mac M1 & 2. the usefulness of an NAA to mac upsampling ie optical rendu or say hqp naa.

Your Bryston 3.14 is limited to DSD support up to DSD-256. But, if NAA, yes, you need one of the Rendu’s. You may keep your present Mac, and consider a Sonictransporter with embedded HQplayer. 
Your present Mac may do 256 ?

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Why would you use USB ?

Perhaps he is not just connecting using Ethernet because needs it to make music and it appears the Bryston's ethernet port is only for control of the device. So any of the Audio inputs could be used and he seems to have chosen USB.

Regards

GG