IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

11 hours ago, Archimago said:

Looking forward to seeing the results of that "HiFi" vs. "HiFi+" subscribership numbers (aka "referendum on mQa").

Given what we know from Roon's agreement with mQa, where you've got a clientele that might be more sensitive to the pitch than elsewhere, alongside a company that pays per decode, I'd be doubly curious to know how their subscriber base received the changes.

16 hours ago, Thuaveta said:

Given what we know from Roon's agreement with mQa, where you've got a clientele that might be more sensitive to the pitch than elsewhere, alongside a company that pays per decode, I'd be doubly curious to know how their subscriber base received the changes.

Given that audiophiles are in the minority of listeners then the all-too-common response could well be: "Oh boy, only $X per month to upgrade my system? A bargain! Sign me up!"

On 12/18/2021 at 12:11 AM, R1200CL said:

Most articles has the writers name published. Not so with What Hifi. isn’t that a bit suspicious ?
https://www.whathifi.com/tidal/review

CFB231C0-8245-42E3-BB92-297AE5B20C97.jpeg

I got an email from MQA  that proclaimed this award. 

https://mailchi.mp/mqa/b2c-english-dec-2021?e=8dd14d259a

CE63340D-335F-4B37-8C61-E2C19EA963C2.jpeg

Yeah, it's a bit odd with What Hi-Fi? and their reviews being unattributed. Many of their reviews/awards are like this. Maybe that's meaningful as you suggest about the nature of these reviews and the actual source of the ideas...

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

17 hours ago, Archimago said:

Yeah, it's a bit odd with What Hi-Fi? and their reviews being unattributed. Many of their reviews/awards are like this. Maybe that's meaningful as you suggest about the nature of these reviews and the actual source of the ideas...

Is Archimago suggesting that there's an important difference between "unattributed" and "anonymous"? Our Product of the Year Awards are actually written by the person who wrote the full review, even though his name or initials aren't given. But the issue number is provided in the blurb so you can find out who it was. Look, I'm no partisan when it comes to the MQA debate but I continue to detect a double standard when it comes to public discussion of this technology. Engineers who have anything good to say about MQA are either unqualified or shameless shills; engineers who condemn it are courageous truth-tellers. The dynamic, unfortunately, parallels the tone of the discussion with far more critical issues of the day—vaccination, climate change, election integrity, and so on.

Andrew Quint

Senior Writer, TAS

On 12/18/2021 at 10:11 AM, R1200CL said:

Most articles has the writers name published. Not so with What Hifi. isn’t that a bit suspicious ?
https://www.whathifi.com/tidal/review

CFB231C0-8245-42E3-BB92-297AE5B20C97.jpeg

I got an email from MQA  that proclaimed this award. 

https://mailchi.mp/mqa/b2c-english-dec-2021?e=8dd14d259a

CE63340D-335F-4B37-8C61-E2C19EA963C2.jpeg

If Tidal is "unquestionably" it, how come so many people don't think so? If it was, none of the other hi-res services would have subscribers. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

57 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

2+2=4 whether it’s written by anonymous or it’s unattributed. Objectivity is the basis for @Archimago’s work and anyone with the requisite skills can check it. 

This is very different from the advertorials he mentioned. 

But the What Hi-Fi? award is to TIDAL, not to MQA. MQA Ldt touts TIDAL in their promotional material (as expected, as no other streaming service has taken them on.) What I see is that What Hi-Fi? is considered in the thread as worthy of scorn because they like TIDAL, and TIDAL is worthy of scorn because they offer MQA. It's all so tribal...

Andy

1 minute ago, ARQuint said:

But the What Hi-Fi? award is to TIDAL, not to MQA. MQA Ldt touts TIDAL in their promotional material (as expected, as no other streaming service has taken them on.) What I see is that What Hi-Fi? is considered in the thread as worthy of scorn because they like TIDAL, and TIDAL is worthy of scorn because they offer MQA. It's all so tribal...

Andy

I thought you were talking about anonymous versus unattributed. Oops. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

2+2=4 whether it’s written by anonymous or it’s unattributed. Objectivity is the basis for @Archimago’s work and anyone with the requisite skills can check it. 

This is very different from the advertorials he mentioned. 

I thought that the comment about anonymous What HiFi articles was a gentle dig at the MQA supporters who trashed Archimago's work on the grounds that he (or she) was anonymous.