IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 hours ago, Revelation said:

I know converters and it sounds like Qobuz are using Mytek converters which have a very open detailed sound but slightly edgy on the top end.

So you got the Qobuz option where you get an analog signal out of the Qobuz converters and into a line in on your pre/amp ?  What kind of cable do Qobuz use out of their Mytek converters and into your home ? If its silver or silver-coated , that can also contribute to brightness or edgy-ness .  I have so many more questions but I must now continue to roll around on my living room floor whilst stabbing myself in the eye with a plastic fork much to the bemusement of my wife .   

20 minutes ago, Don Blas De Lezo said:

So you got the Qobuz option where you get an analog signal out of the Qobuz converters and into a line in on your pre/amp ?  What kind of cable do Qobuz use out of their Mytek converters and into your home ? If its silver or silver-coated , that can also contribute to brightness or edgy-ness .  I have so many more questions but I must now continue to roll around on my living room floor whilst stabbing myself in the eye with a plastic fork much to the bemusement of my wife .   

You need to read my post better. I said it sounds like the Mytek. I never said they are using Mytek converters 

11 hours ago, Revelation said:

You guys are too much. 

The main difference D50 has ESS ES9038Q2M Sabre chips,and the D70 has dual AK4497 DAC chips.

It was the same model which had mQa and non mQa and it was on Archimago's site.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

11 hours ago, danadam said:

What does this have to do with anything? The price difference between D90 with and without MQA was about 100 ($ or €):

https://apos.audio/blogs/news/topping-d90se-vs-d90-comparison-chart

topping.png.dbef0b5b9783afafc303215a9ec956e5.png

At audiophonics.fr (but discontinued): D90 non-mqa 749 €, D90 mqa 849 €

That is the mQa tax. That is how much it costs to use the 'patented' mQa file grinder system.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

On 1/3/2022 at 4:57 PM, Don Blas De Lezo said:

YOU HAVE QUESTIONS?  MAN, I HAVE EVEN MORE...

No electron left behind.

On 1/3/2022 at 2:24 PM, Revelation said:

I got Qobuz going on my NAD preamp and Focal Aria speakers. I found some songs sound better than Tidal,  Tidal sounding better Qobuz and some sound too similar to say which one is better.

1. The Beatles remixed Let it Be album. Get Back sound great on both. 

2. Rolling Stones Tatto you: Start me Up. Tidal sounded better. There was a slight edge on the snare drum on Qobuz. 

3. Donald Fagen Nightfly IGY. Tidal is warmer and louder. The CD is closer to Qobuz which sounds better than Tidal.

4. Rolling Stones.  A rock and a hard place. Qobuz is a very clean and slightly edgy. Tidal sounds better...though very similar, it just does not have that edge. 

5. The Eagles Hotel California from Hell Freezes over. I hear that same crystal slightly hard edge on Qobuz that I heard on A rock and a hard place. Tidal is slightly more easy on your ears.

I know converters and it sounds like Qobuz are using Mytek converters which have a very open detailed sound but slightly edgy on the top end.

That's not the revelation you think it is...

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, Currawong said:

Since the Beatles seem to have been MQA'd by hand, the sound is pretty good.

Since the original individual tape tracks were digitized at 24/192 in about 2009 (as were the completed analog master tapes), and kept as digital masters, the exact provenance of those masters is known, and the ADC is certainly known. It's probably still at Abbey Road.

So if you did a white glove conversion of these to MQA, you could get a very good result, much better than batch conversion.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

38 minutes ago, Phil Baker said:

To those comparing Tidal with MQA and Qobuz, this is simple to understand and not at all complex. It's right in front of our eyes.

1. Qobuz and other true hi-res services deliver the original artists' master files at 192/24 in the open lossless FLAC standard. It's as close to what the artist created as anything that exists.

2. Tidal w/ MQA manipulates/processes/modifies the artists' master files. They then call these files Tidal Masters, usurping the definition of what a master file really is. Furthermore, to create these imitation masters, MQA charges the record companies and the customer for the manipulation. 

In one case you get the authentic original in an open lossless format. In the other case you get a manipulated version in a proprietary format.

MQA was originally invented as a way to reduce the size of the file when data transmission and memory costs were high, a worthwhile purpose. But, these costs have plummeted, so now there is no good reason for MQA.

+1000

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 1/12/2022 at 2:22 AM, Phil Baker said:

1. Qobuz and other true hi-res services deliver the original artists' master files at 192/24 in the open lossless FLAC standard. It's as close to what the artist created as anything that exists.

Is that actually true? I always assumed that many of those 192/24 were newly mastered high res versions and that the original masters were mostly locked away by the record companies.

I have been reading this thread for a while now and I agree with most here that MQA is at the very least utterly useless. However, I still use Tidal, mostly because I just don't find Qobuz that enjoyable, since their pIaylists are, to put it delicately, a pile of steaming dog excrements. I use streaming only to discover new music and still buy the stuff I like, either on vinyl or as a download (many times both), and Tidal just works better for that (at least with my music taste).

36 minutes ago, skraggy said:

Is that actually true? I always assumed that many of those 192/24 were newly mastered high res versions and that the original masters were mostly locked away by the record companies.

I have been reading this thread for a while now and I agree with most here that MQA is at the very least utterly useless. However, I still use Tidal, mostly because I just don't find Qobuz that enjoyable, since their pIaylists are, to put it delicately, a pile of steaming dog excrements. I use streaming only to discover new music and still buy the stuff I like, either on vinyl or as a download (many times both), and Tidal just works better for that (at least with my music taste).

Some not all but that isn't the point. Even with over sampling the file, it still gives what the musician wanted it to be. That is way different than what mQa does.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

On 1/12/2022 at 4:22 AM, Phil Baker said:

To those comparing Tidal with MQA and Qobuz, this is simple to understand and not at all complex. It's right in front of our eyes.

2. Tidal w/ MQA manipulates/processes/modifies the artists' master files. They then call these files Tidal Masters, usurping the definition of what a master file really is. Furthermore, to create these imitation masters, MQA charges the record companies and the customer for the manipulation. 

In one case you get the authentic original in an open lossless format. In the other case you get a manipulated version in a proprietary format.

MQA was originally invented as a way to reduce the size of the file when data transmission and memory costs were high, a worthwhile purpose. But, these costs have plummeted, so now there is no good reason for MQA.

Very nicely put.

Even the last point about reducing the file size was a pointless proposition, as lossless Flac cpmpression was already around and widely used. It seems their intented purpose was something else from day one.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

13 hours ago, mevdinc said:

Very nicely put.

Even the last point about reducing the file size was a pointless proposition, as lossless Flac cpmpression was already around and widely used. It seems their intented purpose was something else from day one.

They are trying to follow the business model Dolby used 50 years ago. The difference is Dolby made a huge difference -- we needed it.

On 1/13/2022 at 9:33 PM, botrytis said:

Some not all but that isn't the point. Even with over sampling the file, it still gives what the musician wanted it to be. That is way different than what mQa does.

But does MQA actually do anything besides the whole marketing mumbo jumbo? 

I have never heard any MQA on one of those fancy DACs, but through Roon I cannot find any meaningful difference between Qobuz and Tidal, except when there are different masters available. If pressed I would say that Qobuz maybe, just maybe, sounds a tad bit better, but not fundamentally different.

Don't get me wrong though, from everything I read about this topic, I think MQA appears to be a crappy company with rather dubious intentions and I hope Tidal gives up on MQA at some point (or Roon includes Spotify or Apple). 

33 minutes ago, skraggy said:

But does MQA actually do anything besides the whole marketing mumbo jumbo? 

I have never heard any MQA on one of those fancy DACs, but through Roon I cannot find any meaningful difference between Qobuz and Tidal, except when there are different masters available. If pressed I would say that Qobuz maybe, just maybe, sounds a tad bit better, but not fundamentally different.

Don't get me wrong though, from everything I read about this topic, I think MQA appears to be a crappy company with rather dubious intentions and I hope Tidal gives up on MQA at some point (or Roon includes Spotify or Apple). 

Yes, it makes music sound worse, unless you hear 'white glove conversions' then it is 50/50.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590