IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Well, these are good changes to Tidal I think, at least in terms of potentially phasing out MQA. Money talks and the extra cost of the "HiFi+" tier I think is going to mean further reduction in mQa demand ahead.

Personally, I wish the Atmos/Sony 360 content was part of the lossless HiFi plan. As it stands, Tidal still doesn't really compete with Apple Music which has lossless hi-res (if one cares) and multichannel at $10. But Roon/device compatibility is good and the main benefit for Tidal.

Looking forward to analysis of the 16/44.1 stream for mQa corruption ;-).

Obviously, I need to say something about this on my blog (and the legacy/role Stereophile, Atkinson, et al. played in all this nonsense).

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

2 hours ago, Archimago said:

Well, these are good changes to Tidal I think, at least in terms of potentially phasing out MQA. Money talks and the extra cost of the "HiFi+" tier I think is going to mean further reduction in mQa demand ahead.

Personally, I wish the Atmos/Sony 360 content was part of the lossless HiFi plan. As it stands, Tidal still doesn't really compete with Apple Music which has lossless hi-res (if one cares) and multichannel at $10. But Roon/device compatibility is good and the main benefit for Tidal.

Looking forward to analysis of the 16/44.1 stream for mQa corruption ;-).

Obviously, I need to say something about this on my blog (and the legacy/role Stereophile, Atkinson, et al. played in all this nonsense).

Let’s hope they are Red Book copies this needs to be confirmed as far as I was aware original 16/44.1 files were replaced by MQA (15bit versions) covering Warners and Sony releases I’m sure Universal was going to follow 

3 hours ago, rn701 said:

(I still don't get the point of 16/44.1 MQA.)

That's the way to lower resolution - then it does not even reach 16 bits. The next step will be to ask more money for 16 bits.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Simple solution Ryan, dump Tidal. 😁 Talk about an unreliable source for evaluating equipment.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I see with the new Tidal marketing push they seem to be shifting the onus on quality streaming to the Hifi tier which is non MQA only a few months ago MQA was touted as the way to “hear your music as the artist intended” now it’s just good “ole” 16/44.1, the only issue here is how many files do they have that are not “red book” standard and are being modified from MQA versions as these are the only ones left on the platform. 

455BEBB5-661A-4373-86AB-00445F990455.jpeg

Good evening gents:

This interview with the current Editor of Stereophile is intriguing. 

http://highfidelity.pl/@main-1134&lang=en

"But I'm pretty convinced at this point that high-resolution digital – let us say 24/192 PCM and certainly DXD – is capable of total transparency, at least for me. Maybe others can detect a sonic signature – but play me an exquisitely made 24/192 needle drop and I can't distinguish it from the original vinyl. To me, high-res digital is a (potentially) transparent container for music, with no sound of its own, while vinyl is a true medium that has a particular sound."

If this is SO..and and 24/192 PCM is totally transparent, why does speak out of the other side of his mouth about why MQA is valid?

24 minutes ago, Pierre LeMonf said:

Good evening gents:

This interview with the current Editor of Stereophile is intriguing. 

http://highfidelity.pl/@main-1134&lang=en

"But I'm pretty convinced at this point that high-resolution digital – let us say 24/192 PCM and certainly DXD – is capable of total transparency, at least for me. Maybe others can detect a sonic signature – but play me an exquisitely made 24/192 needle drop and I can't distinguish it from the original vinyl. To me, high-res digital is a (potentially) transparent container for music, with no sound of its own, while vinyl is a true medium that has a particular sound."

If this is SO..and and 24/192 PCM is totally transparent, why does speak out of the other side of his mouth about why MQA is valid?

Could ask him @Jim Austin

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png