IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

22 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

A recent "Spotify vs. TIDAL" article appearing in Android Authority stated this:

"Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) promises high-resolution (96kHz/24bit) audio delivered via FLAC or WAV file. Any media labeled as MQA under Tidal means that the artist directly authenticated it."

True or false?

FALSE

Have been involved in taking down local artists album that had been "MQA'ed" they hated what the process did to their original work.

Since they hadn't allowed the MQA version it had to be taken down

It must be difficult getting agreement from all members of a symphony orchestra that the MQA version is truly how they wanted their music published.

Or is this Beethoven's responsibility?

Seriously, how many artists have come out and publicly stated "There are two versions of my art. One is superior (let's say DXD master), and one is inferior. It is my wish that the public only receive the inferior version"

11 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

A recent "Spotify vs. TIDAL" article appearing in Android Authority stated this:

"Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) promises high-resolution (96kHz/24bit) audio delivered via FLAC or WAV file. Any media labeled as MQA under Tidal means that the artist directly authenticated it."

True or false?

False, of course, and tremendously, obviously so.

Who's going to tell AA and will they listen and retract or are they already dead because "they drank the cool-aid'?

14 hours ago, yahooboy said:

FALSE

Have been involved in taking down local artists album that had been "MQA'ed" they hated what the process did to their original work.

Since they hadn't allowed the MQA version it had to be taken down

I wonder if the MQA version had the industry-ubiquitous post processing added?   MQA obviously sucks, but the processing normally done to consumer recordings sucks worse -- it is just that listeners have gotten accomodated to it.   It seems to me that adding a recording to normal distribution, and encoding with MQA might automatically add the industry-wide standard processing also?   To a musician with good hearing, this double damage would be immediately apparent.

(One, secondary, reason why Marios TRT stuff is so good is that it hasn't been processed.   Marios' stereo image handling is certainly most innovative and important, but also his recordings are clean of the industry standard cr*pping on the recordings.   It was WONDERFUL to hear a true, unprocessed recording for a change.)

6 hours ago, Allan F said:

Given that Beethoven was deaf, I doubt that he would be of any assistance were he alive today.

About as much use as some of the low level flunkies MQA uses to "authenticate" it's masters.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

18 hours ago, Confused said:

<snip>

So there you have it, exactly as the artist intended.

Thanks for that.:)

So who does MQA consider to be the artist? The composer, the arranger, the lead player, the band, the conductor, the recording engineer, the mixer, the person at the record company who figured out how to make money out the performance, the MQA designer, the MQA coder, or the MQA tech who pushed the recording through the process?

Man, now I'm really confused!

On 11/7/2021 at 10:14 AM, Confused said:

“exactly as the artist intended”.

I think that this has only ever been a marketing pitch.

In the context of recorded music, I wondered if Neil Young / Pono might be the originator but it’s been around for a while before then:

That's how we at Rotel feel about hi-fi. The real joy of owning an audio system is to experience the pleasure of a great performance by reproducing it exactly as the artist intended.  Stereophile, May 1998.

38 minutes ago, Hifi Bob said:

I think that this has only ever been a marketing pitch.

In the context of recorded music, I wondered if Neil Young / Pono might be the originator but it’s been around for a while before then:

That's how we at Rotel feel about hi-fi. The real joy of owning an audio system is to experience the pleasure of a great performance by reproducing it exactly as the artist intended.  Stereophile, May 1998.

The idea (if not the expression) is even older than this.

707c35275eb73f9494bfbd4c094bef97.thumb.jpg.5269ad05e0050c87473c9e058354b90f.jpg

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

• 2 weeks later...

I see there is a free tier now, which is an interesting move.

Is it possible to infect 160kbs files with MQA?

(I guess it is if MQA is the source file to create the 160kbs file)

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

New: Direct Artist Payouts This program will give artists access to another payment stream by allocating 10% of monthly subscriptions at the HiFi Plus tier to each listener’s most streamed artist.

Now we could face that artists actually support this program and make MQA an selling point.. 

But access to lossy MQA now costs the double. 

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Will need to use the bit perfect test to see.

Is Roon's identification of MQA based solely on a flag? It does identify tracks as MQA even though they don't have the "Master" label on Tidal.

I see that my account was automatically upgraded to HiFi Plus. If they do indeed have lossless CD-quality streams in the HiFi tier, will I have to downgrade to access them?

54 minutes ago, new_media said:

Is Roon's identification of MQA based solely on a flag? It does identify tracks as MQA even though they don't have the "Master" label on Tidal.

I believe so.

54 minutes ago, new_media said:

I see that my account was automatically upgraded to HiFi Plus. If they do indeed have lossless CD-quality streams in the HiFi tier, will I have to downgrade to access them?

I believe so. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

An interesting point about MQA adaption.
iFi, who have developed that phenomenous GTO Filter together with MQA labs for fighting against "post ringing" traumatism to our preciuos ears, have unexpectedly resigned to use the MQA force of propaganda with their iFi ZEN Stream product. They provide Tidal masters as Tidal exclusive streaming mode, however, in their tec lowdown brochure they avoid the MQA tag, and without it they can provide "the purest performance possible".
Interesting alteration of the marketing pitch in a mere 12 month. I am wondering whether the customers have voted against their collaboration with the BS regime?

From all I can get from their product description, the ZEN stream seems to be well equipped for the price you pay.