IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

All this bitching about MQA....if you don't like, just don't use it. No one is forcing you to use it. It sounds better than Spotify and they have a better catalog than some of the other ones out there that sound slightly different. 

The background of MQA does not seem to be good but if I'm not playing records or CD's Tidal is currently the best option for me. If don't like the Dolby sound effect Apple puts on their music and we have the choice to choose what we want. Trying to get people to change their mind and debate is a waste of time.

Peace!

I have been passively following this thread for a while now and, I fundamentally agree that MQA doesn't really bring anything spectacular to the table and, to its bare bones, it's mostly a licensing scheme.

Having said that, I have listened to a lot of hi-end MQA recordings from 2L. The amazing thing with this label is that they provide free samples of each and every sample rate so you, the customer, can compare.

So I did that and I have found that there is no audible difference whatsoever between the DXD version and the MQA version. I don't know if 2L is getting a white glove treatment from MQA but I love what I hear. I'm using an MQA-enabled DAC with 131dB dynamic range.

That said, would I prefer a FLAC file or the MQA file? Sonically speaking, I don't care, they sound exactly the same (and for any golden-eared person, I would challenge them to a blind AB test). But ethically speaking, I would rather get the open source FLAC file any day.

2 hours ago, Revelation said:

All this bitching about MQA....if you don't like, just don't use it. No one is forcing you to use it. It sounds better than Spotify and they have a better catalog than some of the other ones out there that sound slightly different. 

The background of MQA does not seem to be good but if I'm not playing records or CD's Tidal is currently the best option for me. If don't like the Dolby sound effect Apple puts on their music and we have the choice to choose what we want. Trying to get people to change their mind and debate is a waste of time.

Peace!

Problem is on Tidal, you can't get rid of it. I will not buy mQa nor will I support a DAC company that has put it in. SMSL had a Dac with and without mQa, basically the same model, and the mQa version was 100 USD more - there is your tax for a tech that makes music sound like garbage.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

Problem is on Tidal, you can't get rid of it. I will not buy mQa nor will I support a DAC company that has put it in. SMSL had a Dac with and without mQa, basically the same model, and the mQa version was 100 USD more - there is your tax for a tech that makes music sound like garbage.

The McGill University study demonstrated that listeners cannot hear a difference between 24/96 PCM and MQA and personally I can't hear a difference between redbook and the 'first unfold' of MQA, or between Qobuz and Tidal for that matter, *unless* a different master was used. I think we should avoid statements like MQA is "a tech that makes music sound like garbage ." It's not true and it doesn't help anyone.

Now the Tidal Hifi tier is another matter. It most likely streams MQA without unfolding to 96 or 88.2 kHz. This may result in audibly degraded sound.

52 minutes ago, Abtr said:

The McGill University study demonstrated that listeners cannot hear a difference between 24/96 PCM and MQA and personally I can't hear a difference between redbook and the 'first unfold' of MQA, or between Qobuz and Tidal for that matter, *unless* a different master was used. I think we should avoid statements like MQA is "a tech that makes music sound like garbage ." It's not true and it doesn't help anyone.

Now the Tidal Hifi tier is another matter. It most likely streams MQA without unfolding to 96 or 88.2 kHz. This may result in audibly degraded sound.

I have heard enough mQa files and compared with non-mQa to honestly say garbage is appropriate term for what I heard.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

9 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I have heard enough mQa files and compared with non-mQa to honestly say garbage is appropriate term for what I heard.

I would not want to waste more than 15 minutes of my time to listen to MQA just to confirm it is crap!!! If I spent 15 minutes on this crap I lose 15 minutes on listening to good quality music!!!

1 hour ago, dericchan1 said:

I would not want to waste more than 15 minutes of my time to listen to MQA just to confirm it is crap!!! If I spent 15 minutes on this crap I lose 15 minutes on listening to good quality music!!!

I agree but I was listening to speakers to what I would get next.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

13 hours ago, botrytis said:

So are you saying the conclusion of the McGill study was wrong and there actually is a clearly audible difference between MQA and regular 24/96 (or redbook for that matter) using the same master? Did you do a blind test?

I think most (if not all) people will be unable to hear a difference as is shown by the McGill study and which is also my own experience. You may subjectively believe that MQA sounds worse, just like MQA proponents may subjectively believe MQA sounds better. But stating that MQA sounds like 'garbage' doesn't help the objective discussion IMHO. It may even push some neutral listeners into the pro-MQA camp because what you state is obviously not what they hear.      

1 hour ago, Abtr said:

So are you saying the conclusion of the McGill study was wrong and there actually is a clearly audible difference between MQA and regular 24/96 (or redbook for that matter) using the same master? Did you do a blind test?

I think most (if not all) people will be unable to hear a difference as is shown by the McGill study and which is also my own experience. You may subjectively believe that MQA sounds worse, just like MQA proponents may subjectively believe MQA sounds better. But stating that MQA sounds like 'garbage' doesn't help the objective discussion IMHO. It may even push some neutral listeners into the pro-MQA camp because what you state is obviously not what they hear.      

You can't hear with my ears and they didn't use mine for the study, so I won't talk for them, To me, as I stated before, I hear it being worse.

If what I say pushes them over the edge, that is THEIR problem not mine. I stated my opinion and you have tried to make a big deal about it. IT IS MY OPINION.

The study just backs up what I heard is all.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

20 minutes ago, botrytis said:

You can't hear with my ears and they didn't use mine for the study, so I won't talk for them, To me, as I stated before, I hear it being worse.

If what I say pushes them over the edge, that is THEIR problem not mine. I stated my opinion and you have tried to make a big deal about it. IT IS MY OPINION.

The study just backs up what I heard is all.

The McGill study does not back up what you state you heard and without a blind test your opinion basically has no value. As far as we are trying to stop MQA here, your opinion is doing more harm than good IMHO.   

41 minutes ago, Abtr said:

The McGill study does not back up what you state you heard and without a blind test your opinion basically has no value. As far as we are trying to stop MQA here, your opinion is doing more harm than good IMHO.   

That's a bridge too far in my opinion. 

The McGill study couldn't have used every track to which @botrytis listens, and of course couldn't use his ears and audio playback system. The study showed the participants couldn't hear a difference. Taking the conclusion farther than "the participants couldn't hear a difference" is a bit antithetical to science and your call for blind testing. 

It's entirely possible that some listeners, outside the McGill study, listen to tracks that mQa has screwed up and they don't like what they hear. It's also possible that people listen to what's available to them, without the pristine master and mQa'd version of the same master, and decide that mQa sounds bad. We have to go with what's available to us, not a perfect situation that doesn't exist outside the laboratory. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's a bridge too far in my opinion.

Sorry, but I'm mightily confused.

The study says that the participants didn't hear differences. Both you you and botrytis seem to agree that this is what the study says.

Then botrytis says he himself heard a difference. Ok, fine, whatever. Then he says the study confirms what he heard. How?

I don’t know any details about this “controlled” study you referred to and how representative it is taking a small sample of testing population to try and reach a conclusion. 

If you want to talk science, here you go

https://goldensound.audio/2021/11/29/tidal-hifi-is-not-lossless/

measurement of added noise in mqa that is indeed audible, otherwise, manufacturers like ifi or software developers like Hqplayer would not have to write specific digital filters to account for the added noise in mqa.  And I can relate this to my own ears, own experience that mqa is crap!!! And yes you heard what you heard with your own resolving system as long as you are happy with the sound!!! I know guys who insist mp3 sounds better than hires too