IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

On 12/9/2021 at 7:45 AM, Fokus said:

You mistakenly thought MQA cannot pass on signal in the 24-48kHz band.

Anything above 24 kHz in an MQA file I have ever seen is simply a mirrored image (pivoted around 24 kHz if the original file comes from 48/96/192/384 originals)

It seems that You know MQA intimately, so I would love to see an example of any MQA file with any true music signal above 24 kHz (not a mirrored signal) Even though I spent a lot of time going through a lot MQA files a few years ago, I never saw any that wasn't just mirrored above 24k.

I would love to see this though.

On 12/8/2021 at 2:51 PM, yahooboy said:

I hope this clears up what I was (trying to) write. From what I read we are saying the same thing.

Unfortunately, your reply seems to completely ignore the part that includes the second image in my post, mentioning that MQA files can have true audio in the octave above 24kHz. I wasn't certain that this was the case, but your more recent replies to others have confirmed this, especially your last post. So, no, we are not saying the same thing.

1 hour ago, yahooboy said:

so I would love to see an example of any MQA file with any true music signal above 24 kHz (not a mirrored signal) Even though I spent a lot of time going through a lot MQA files a few years ago, I never saw any that wasn't just mirrored above 24k.

I would love to see this though.

Here is the part in my last post that you chose to ignore - it clearly shows no gap/mirroring in the 22-44kHz range. I remind you that the image is taken from the same YouTube 'gap' video showing the 2L MQA file track and the quote is the final part of Mans Rullgard's post in the YouTube video page, referring to the analysis of the 2L track in the video: 

The 2L recording originally has a high sample rate, and MQA preserves it reasonably well up to 44.1 kHz. If you did a playback and (analogue) capture through a certified MQA DAC at 176.4 kHz (or higher), you'd see similar mirroring in the 44.1-88.2 kHz range.

This is referring specifically to the 2L track in the video which has an original sample rate above 48kHz and notably does not have the ~22kHz gap:

image.png.3e69c23c2a4b27387890fcf1abb810d7.png

Mans is saying that you will see mirroring with the 2L track similar to the Beyonce track if you were to capture the playback through an MQA DAC. However, it will be in the 44.1-88.2kHz range, ie, not 22-44.1kHz. Here, the MQA upsampling filter is applied in the DAC by the MQA renderer, not the MQA Core decoder.

In fact, this 2L track is the type of MQA file that @Focusis also referring to and ironically, Mans actually says something similar to what @Focusmentioned & you first took issue with - "MQA preserves reasonably well up to 44.1kHz"! 😀

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

2 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Having said that, can't really blame @yahooboy not finding similar examples on TIDAL - over two thirds of the MQA albums/EPs/singles listed on TIDAL are 16-bit and the vast majority of those (98%) MQA-CD!

Sourced from MQA list.csv file (2021-12-04 update) provided by:

The most complete list of MQA so far found on TIDAL

Thanks @Cebolla, as I said it's been a few years since I made my "investigation"  I deliberately did not examine the 2L files back then, as I wanted it to be representative of the music found on Tidal. (had a suspicion that 2L's catalog had been whitegloved)

It seems that the ones I examined must have been misrepresented files, glad I learned something new.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Just when you thought the defense of mQa could reach any lower, I direct you to this beauty from Dave Kelly - https://www.strata-gee.com/mqa-finale-both-anti-and-pro-forces-have-their-successes-and-failures/#comment-47519

I think the supporters of mQa can and will go lower in their desperation. The company has to see the writing on the wall, no market share. And supporters in the music and audio industry are finding their judgement questioned by their support.

I find the amount of energy wasted on this stupid MQA thing pretty amazing - to me, it has the importance of whether a car should have white wall tyres, i.e. MQA, or normal black ones. That is, it's about as close to be being completely irrelevant to the business of obtaining high quality reproduction of recordings, as the decoration of tyres is to how capable a vehicle is on the road.

52 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Fortunately Chris has put a handy dandy "Ignore this topic" button at the top of the page for your use in situations like this...

Normally do ... but Chris contaminated this thread,

by pointing to an article on such - and everyone piled on ...

Something about "bad smells", and "getting everywhere", comes to mind ....

2 hours ago, firedog said:

I don't get that whole article. In an extreme attempt to be fair and objective, it seems to be another example of people who just accept MQA claims.

I couldn't agree more and think this piece is a veiled pro-MQA stance, trying it's best to somehow sound fair, and provide some sort of claimed long hard hours research and analysis in a "civil" manner thats claimed to be otherwise lacking in everything from this forum, to GoldenSound's videos. Gimme a break.

Thats propaganda, and I've lost some respect for Bill Leebens in that regard. The call to authority of the various mastering engineers who stand to make money by kowtowing to MQA in hopes of being involved in their "white glove" efforts, as well as Bob Stuart himself, are just more of the same from that playbook. 

The piece looks to me like a blatant attempt at trying to repair MQA's image at this late date, knowing full well how badly they had shot themselves in the foot in the past at Chris' RMAF talk, and in other high-brow interviews too. Bob's retort to the RMAF incident that in hindsight they simply wouldn't have even attended is just more of the same again, acting above it all and not apologizing for the pathetic behavior of his senior management, and essentially taking the stance that they need not face any scrutiny at all.

2 hours ago, Archimago said:

Someone might want to remind the writer of the "hearing" study results from McGill University. What are we supposed to "hear" again in order to "believe"?!

I thought it ironic that Leebens felt the need to cite George Massenburg's teaching affiliation at McGill, but made absolutely no mention of the McGill study you cite.

I'll also admit that prior to today I had never even heard of Strata-gee, nor Ted Green, and while I appreciate the supposed mission of his site, I don't think this MQA piece/summation provides any unique insight or real value to readers.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group