IGNORED

Who are You Going to See?

On 4/2/2018 at 11:18 AM, ted_b said:

Seen Yes 8 times in my life, but the first four were amazing.  Smallest was Elyria Catholic High School (yes, a high school gymnasium).  I was 5 ft from Steve Howe.  Then later next spring at Lakeland Community college (again, first few rows).  My most amazing concert was taking the most beautiful girl in HS, red dress and all, to Akron Civic Theater in Dec 1971 where they debuted Fragile.  WoW!  And finally, again in summer 1972 at the Akron Rubber Bowl.  Truly the most eclectic concert I've ever attended.  First up was an upstart group with a hit called Witchy Woman, the Eagles.  Then John McLaughlin and Mahavishnu Orchestra (the classic lineup with Billy Cobham, etc) and finally Yes.  We taped their performance (a debut of Close To The Edge) on a cheapo Aiwa portable, but it was great nonetheless.    Four times in two years!   Those were the days.  :)

I'm right with you Ted. I had the great fortune to see Yes quite a number of times in their prime, however, I never managed to see them in any venue as intimate as a high school! I'm jealous.  I saw them on their Fragile tour, Close To The Edge tour, Topographic Oceans tour, Relayer Tour and Going For The One tour. The first three were some of my most memorable concerts ever. Much later, I saw their simply outstanding 35th Anniversary tour with the entire original lineup. They were brilliant that night.

However, and I truly hope things are better for Barrows and others going to see them soon, but I couldn't have been more disappointed when I went to see them last summer. They were without Jon Anderson, Chris Squire (you are very much missed, Chris!) and nearly everyone. Indeed, Steve Howe was the only original member left. I listened to perhaps half of the show, where they seemed to purposely be avoiding any of their most complex hits, because, I expect, they realized that they could not do them justice. I finally couldn't take it any more, having known their music, and performances so well, back in their prime. I went to leave at that point, and, when a friend asked where I was going, I said, "I know Yes, and whoever it is up on that stage, it isn't them". I then turned and made my way out of the facility. 

JC

23 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Sad story. We want repetition of whatever we enjoyed 30 or 40 years ago, but what we really search and want is ourselves, only 30 or 40 years younger. And, it is not possible. We know ourselves, and whoever looks on us from the mirror every morning is not us...

Very true, and painfully so. Though, in this case, it is the loss of nearly all of the musicians that made Yes great that is mostly to blame. They were capable of incredible musicianship even on that 35th annniversary tour. Yes without John Anderson, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman and Bill Bruford honestly should have no right to perform under that name. As much as I admire the skills of Steve Howe on guitar, he alone is hardly more than a reminder of the band. 

JC

So next on the list are:

Bonobo, Alexandra Palace, London, 1st June

Craig Armstrong, Union Chapel, 4th June

David Byrne, Eventim Apollo, London, 20th June

Eric Clapton, Santana and Steve Winwood, Hyde Park, London, 8th July

Australian Pink Floyd, The Forum, Bath, 20th November

Philip Glass, Royal Festival Hall, London, 9th May 2019

Stereo Source: Auralic Aries + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Surround Source: Windows PC

Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s, Anthem D2v

Speakers: ATC SCM50A (L/R/C), C4 (Sub), SCM20-2A (LR,RR)

1 hour ago, paul_riordan said:

So next on the list are:

Bonobo, Alexandra Palace, London, 1st June

Craig Armstrong, Union Chapel, 4th June

David Byrne, Eventim Apollo, London, 20th June

Eric Clapton, Santana and Steve Winwood, Hyde Park, London, 8th July

Australian Pink Floyd, The Forum, Bath, 20th November

Philip Glass, Royal Festival Hall, London, 9th May 2019

Make sure you have enough fun for all of us!

13 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Very true, and painfully so. Though, in this case, it is the loss of nearly all of the musicians that made Yes great that is mostly to blame. They were capable of incredible musicianship even on that 35th annniversary tour. Yes without John Anderson, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman and Bill Bruford honestly should have no right to perform under that name. As much as I admire the skills of Steve Howe on guitar, he alone is hardly more than a reminder of the band. 

JC

I do not totally agree with these sentiments.  In the case of Jon Anderson, i do agree, as I feel Jon Anderson is the "soul" of Yes.  Billy Sherwood was personally asked by Chris Squire, on his deathbed, to take his place in the band, enough said there.  Alan White is a "reall" Yes drummer, having taken part in the creation of some of Yes' most complex and intricate music (Tales and Relayer) and is totally a legit Yes drummer.  

As to Rick Wakeman, well in the context of Yes I actually preferred Patrick Moraz's playing on Relayer to R.W.'s contributions, and the keyboard spot in the band has seen continuous rotation as is well known, from Tony Kaye, to Rick Wakeman, to Moraz, to Geoff Downes, etc.

While of course it would be nice to travel back in time to the 70's (for many concerts, and the powerful aura around rock music which is often absent these days) it is not possible.

I would like to see Mr. Howe and Mr. Anderson mend their differences and join together once again.  Of course there is also the Jon Anderson "version" touring now as well, but I must admit despite his talents as a guitar player, Trevor Rabin is not my cup of tea when it comes to Yes music...

While it may be fun to muse on about the past, it is gone, and the power of one time in history cannot be re-visited.  Still, I will go to concerts with an open mind and no expectations.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 5/1/2018 at 11:23 PM, AnotherSpin said:

Sad story. We want repetition of whatever we enjoyed 30 or 40 years ago, but what we really search and want is ourselves, only 30 or 40 years younger. And, it is not possible. We know ourselves, and whoever looks on us from the mirror every morning is not us...

Call me silly, but I would be bored with the very same old (or young) face staring at me every morning.  I look forward with interest (if perhaps not absolute delight) to seeing changes.

The same with music.  With very few exceptions, too much repetition bores me.  I love discovering music that is new, or at least new to me.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Call me silly, but I would be bored with the very same old (or young) face staring at me every morning.  I look forward with interest (if perhaps not absolute delight) to seeing changes.

The same with music.  With very few exceptions, too much repetition bores me.  I love discovering music that is new, or at least new to me.

I saw Steely Dan a few years ago. Playing live they sounded just like the orignal album when first released.  I fell asleep.

Keep smiling Jud!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

26 minutes ago, lmitche said:

I saw Steely Dan a few years ago. Playing live they sounded just like the orignal album when first released.  I fell asleep.

Keep smiling Jud!

With all due respect, I don't think you were listening (actually, I guess you acknowledged that in your post).  I've seen Steely Dan 8 or 9 times in the past 10 years or so, and they never play the same song twice.  Their jazz influence is crystal clear in terms of improvisation.  They are an awesome band live, even better than their best albums.  They are rolling through on a US tour this summer and fall--I will catch them at least once more.  

LCD Soundsystem at the Santa Barbara Bowl in two hours:D

EtherRegen powered by Sonore UltraCap LPS1.2 -> Optical Cable ->OpticalRendu powered by SGC 50w LPS -> Ghent silver plated ->star quad USB (JSSG360)->Denafrips Hermes DDC -> i2S HDMI (Clocked by Terminator Dac via BNC)->Denafrips Terminator II Dac->Linear Tube Audio Preamplifier->Melody 845M Monoblocks -> Silversmith Fidelium Speaker Cables->Pure Audio Project Trio15 Coaxial Open Baffle Speakers->2X SVS 4000 Subwoofers->All connected to PSAudio P10 Power Plant

8 hours ago, Jud said:

It was about wrong association of "I" with body, or face in this particular case. Thank you.

23 hours ago, Superdad said:

Mahler in Chains?  :ph34r:

Salonen was unchained last night.  What an incredible event.  After the first movement a woman yelled out, "that was amazing!".  At the end of the Adagio Salonen brought the symphony down to where you could hear a pin drop.  The crowd was in awe.  He has a vibrant, animated and emotional style which the orchestra locked into.  Quite a bit different from Muti who tends to be reserved.

2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Salonen was unchained last night.  What an incredible event.  After the first movement a woman yelled out, "that was amazing!".  At the end of the Adagio Salonen brought the symphony down to where you could hear a pin drop.  The crowd was in awe.  He has a vibrant, animated and emotional style which the orchestra locked into.  Quite a bit different from Muti who tends to be reserved.

Wow, wish I could have attended!

I've always thought Salonen esa-betta Mahlerian than Mutti. OK - you try making a pun with Esa-Pekka. :D 

That said, I really enjoyed Mutti conducting Dvorak's 9th the weekend of AXPONA. I hear you about "reserved." By his body language, Mutti seems to think the audience is to be tolerated, at best. 9_9