IGNORED

Who are You Going to See?

1 hour ago, TubeLover said:

I had the opportunity to see Graham Nash the other night, in fifth row center seats, in a reasonably intimate music venue. Great show. His voice has held up incredibly well for a 77 year old (where has the time gone?). He played for nearly two hours, and played a nice selection of songs.

Wow, that’s great.  I would really enjoy seeing him.  Too bad his tour does not bring him out west (or perhaps it did and I already missed him).

For anyone that knows Graham Nash mainly from his collaborations with Crosby—and of course with Stills and Young—I highly encourage you to check out his very first solo album, “Songs for Beginners” from 1971.  It has some incredibly strong songwriting and holds up surprisingly well.  Terrific ensemble playing, including Jerry Garcia, David Lindley, Rita Coolidge, Bobby Keys, Dave Mason, and Phil Lesh!

Doug Sax even did the mastering.

[Songs for Beginners was actually the second album I ever bought—at 11 years old in 1973.  The first LP I bought that same year was The Mothers of Invention “We’re Only in it for the Money,” and The Beatles “Abby Road.”  From then on I always had a part time job to support my record and hi-fi habits.  In fact, aside from bicycle stores and the beach, most all my other teen time was spent hanging out either at record stores or making a pest of myself at hi-fi shops—until one finally hired me.

Sorry for the OT.  Just remembering first records took me down memory lane...B|]

Completely agree on "Songs For Beginners as an excellent piece of musiuc. I personally feel it is by far his best solos effort. Thanks for the SQ breakdown of the variations of this recording that have been available, Firedog. 

It's hard to imagine any fans of Graham Nash, David Crosby, or CSN/CSNY wouldn't be aware, but the Graham Nash David Crosby album by those two is, again, in my personal opinion, , possibly the best recording by any of the CSN triumvirate outside of their work as a group. Consistently excellent songs, beautifully performed and still timeless.

image.jpeg

One further thought, with apologies for diverting a bit from the point of this discussion. Granted, I resurrected it from near death, so some leeway seems only fair. Not to mention, discussion of good music should never be restricted. 

I would also highly recommend the live album by Crosby and Nash, "Another Stoney Evening" as a must listen for fans. Superb versions of a number of songs, including Southbound Train, Strangers Room and Guinevere are included, as well as a quite well recorded intimate evening with these two legends.

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

John Mellencamp tonight.  I think his latest album is really fine.

Last fun for awhile, as our dog is having surgery and it's a 12-week recovery.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 hours ago, Jud said:

John Mellencamp tonight.  I think his latest album is really fine.

Last fun for awhile, as our dog is having surgery and it's a 12-week recovery.

Jud, agreed on the latest Mellencamp being excellent. Best wishes for your dog and his recovery.

JC

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow 21:30 h,

Emir Kusturica & The No Smoking Orchestra

@ our local Chateau de Cangé in an free open air event.

Like his films a lot and Wikipedia's genre categories says Garage rock, world music & gypsy punk. 😎

Can't see what could be worse with that than my new neighbor playing Spice Girls much too loud (while I'm writing) 🤢😱 

Cheers, Tom

Whoops, recently saw Flutes of Three Nations (China, Japan, and Korea) on June 9th, which was a great display of mutual respect among musicians, as well as great traditional music.

Also saw Fabian Almazan Trio here in Portland at the Old Church on June 21. Finally got a chance to see two of my favorite musicians live (Linda May Han Oh and Fabian Almazan, what simpatico) and get their autographs!

Two days before that show, was lucky to watch The Comet is Coming put on an awesome show at Doug Fir Lounge - if you haven't seen a show at Doug Fir, do it. The sound is fantastic. King Shabaka... nuff said.

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

Monophonics on Aug 9 at the Aladdin. I have a work trip I’m returning from that day so wish me travel luck on getting there on time!

Connie Han Trio on Aug 13 at Lan Su Garden. Bringing my leathers... not.

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

• 1 month later...

Black Pumas coming through PDX on 10/19 at the Wonder Ballroom. Their album got me through weeks of windshield time driving through the Southwest this past July - highly recommended if you need awesome road trip music, I got hoarse singing along.

Hey Ted,

Have you seen the "big band" version?  I will tell you in many ways it is the "best" version of KC ever (OK I did not see the 70s band... but have seen every version since '81).  I am sure you can still pick up a ticket... And they usually play nearly 3 hours of music.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio