IGNORED

Who are You Going to See?

16 minutes ago, barrows said:

Hey Ted,

Have you seen the "big band" version?  I will tell you in many ways it is the "best" version of KC ever (OK I did not see the 70s band... but have seen every version since '81).  I am sure you can still pick up a ticket... And they usually play nearly 3 hours of music.

I have not!  We may try and get there...thx

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

Almost bought tix cuz my buddy is in town but we’re going to Mark Knopfler at Red Rocks following night. Enjoy. I love KC. Saw their Three Of A Perfect Pair tour from 2nd row back in the day. 

Would love to see both KC and Mark Knopfler, but flying east on business Monday so need to get home Sunday.

Making up for it a little by seeing my favorite underrated musician, Ryan Bingham, in October.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Drab Majesty

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Jeff Denson, Brian Blade & Romain Pilon on August 30 at the Jack London Revue, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite places to see music here. It's a tiny spot with some big names coming through!

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

Brian, Jeff and Romain groovin, check em out if you can. A new release from this trio expected this fall.

69059587-B573-4C12-8104-669848086686.jpeg

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

• 3 weeks later...

Raphael Saadiq, Feb 27th at McMenamins Crystal Ballroom.

His latest album, Jimmy Lee, is highly recommended if you haven't checked it out yet. It's a gut punch though, despite the funkiness. He worked through some heavy stuff to make this album, which makes me appreciate the result that much more.

11 hours ago, Superdad said:

Thanks for that.  The last tune he played, "Demons & Dancing Shoes" was my favorite. :D

Have seem him live a couple of times.  Always amazing.

Yes, he truly always puts on an amazing show, and how many artists can you absolutely say that about? Sadly, my expected plans for this concert experience have suffered a fairly severe setback. I have a good friend, very astute musically, who I introduced to Richard Thompson about ten years ago. Since then, he has become a huge fan of Richards, and we've seen him all three times in concert when he has appeared in our general area. He was set to attend the concert coming up on October 20th with me, and really looking forward to it. He just called today and surgery he had scheduled for about two weeks after the concert has been moved up to two days before. He will not be remotely mobile enough to attend now.

The really disappointing part is that I simply do not know of anyone else who would truly appreciate the concert, and here I am finding myself stuck with a ticket. Yes, I could sell it to someone that night while waiting in line to get into the facility, it did sell out very quickly, after all, but that just seems like such a poor substitute. Not to mention the hour and a half drive, each way, that I will now be making by myself, eating Sunday dinner alone at a restaurant somewhere near the concert, etc. Oh well, regardless, I'm not missing Richard Thompson! It's just unfortunate that an expectedly  great night has suffered these setbacks.

JC 

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up finding a musically savvy friend to attend the Richard Thompson concert with me, and it was a great night. Suffice to see he was blown away by the performance and especially his incredible guitar virtuosity. We were sitting no more than twenty feet away, and just  a bit off to the side. Even having seen Sir Richard about five times previously, I have to say that, especially up so close, his artistry on the guitar is absolutely stunning. And despite his fame as an electronic guitarist, what the man can do with an acoustic guitar is simply mesmerizing. 

The audience was very much into it, and he played a great selection of music from his long career. On his last two encores, he asked for things people wanted to hear, and I managed to somehow connect with him, and have two of my favorites played. If only more people in the States were aware of him, and his songwriting and guitar talents. The amazing thing was that, only a month or so back, he was in London for his 70th Birthday Concert Celebration, which filled the Royal Albert Hall, with a number of special guests including Thompson’s ex-wife and ex-musical partner Linda Thompson, their son Teddy Thompson, David Gilmour of Pink Floyd, Loudon Wainwright III, Bob Mould of Hüsker Dü, Hugh Cornwell of The Stranglers, Maddy Pryor and Martin Carthy of Steeleye Span, Harry Shearer (as Derek Smalls of Spinal Tap) and many others. And here I was Sunday night able to see him perform solo, in a venue that holds 350 people. What a truly special night. 

JC

Just now, barrows said:

Juilliard String Quartet were fantastic.  ~500 seat theater, we were second row center, and it was acoustic only (no amplification).  I guess one of the benefits of Classical Music being less than popular is the ability to see world class players up close with excellent sound...  A bit sad though, considering JSQ is a top ranked ensemble.

Should've gone to that one!  Instead, wife, her visiting sister and I went to see Blue Man Group several miles south of you at Buell Theater, downtown Denver.   Although I was a little under the weather I think i can be objective enough.  The performance was dated, somewhat boring and lasted all of 70 minutes (in some respects thankfully).  While they did some nice percussive stuff, the overall feel was that they were stretching for time, taking forever in the audience to pick a few folks for a stale sit down thing, for example. 

I'm sure that if you go back to 1992 their impact was quite different!  But in the 27 years since they are wearing out the schtick.  My $.02

Saw Ryan Bingham in Santa Fe Sunday. Fabulous! See this man if you can.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Black Pumas, wow, what a show! I had to get my azz out of the front since it was too tight to dance anyway. Plus the 7' dude that can see from anywhere in the place plants himself right in front of me (I'm 5'5").

Little Dragon coming up May 6 at the Roseland Theater. Nosebleed seats because apparently I'm getting too old for the crush of general admission, lol. And this band is going to get us dancing.

Whoops, The Midnight Hour (Adrian Younge and Ali Shaheed Muhammed) - at Mississippi Studios on 11/5.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Cowboy Junkies at the Ridgefield Playhouse.

I saw them at the Ogden Theater in downtown Denver several years.

One of the oddest concerts I ever attended in that Margot was speaking between songs about how she wished she was back at her hotel curdled up in bed with her pajamas on (well, something along those lines). Very odd.

6 hours ago, ericuco said:

I saw them at the Ogden Theater in downtown Denver several years.

One of the oddest concerts I ever attended in that Margot was speaking between songs about how she wished she was back at her hotel curdled up in bed with her pajamas on (well, something along those lines). Very odd.

I once heard something similar from Diana Krall at a Fort Lauderdale concert hall. We walked out. The next night we saw Paul McCartney live. He was humble, gracious and gave a truly great performance. What a contrast.

My last two Cowboy Junkies concerts were completely professional. At the last concert some inebriated and very loud audience members distracted Margot. Thankfully these folks left at the intermission. The rest of the concert was spellbinding.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio