IGNORED

Article: UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Review and Comparison

23 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Excellent review. My industry training also made me skeptical about audio unique benefits from an Ethernet switch but clearly something is going on that affects an audio USB

device with an active NIC. Based on your review, looks like I'll be buying yet another DC power supply to power the Etherregen 😉

Thanks David.

Have a look at Uptone's white paper, linked in the review. Food for thought.

Thanks for this extensive review and the different evaluations.
I still have a basic question.

Did you try once, playing form an internal drive in your music computer? I know in "theory" there is no difference for stylus in ram. But you need all the different stuff and different cables to feed a „one-box-solution“?
Thanks again for your impressive deep review.
Btw…nice music decision…

Wow Rajiv it is Indeed a masterful review, very very good.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Excellent review!!! Really well done and exceptionally-well communicated.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

18 minutes ago, Nenon said:

When you have a complex system like Rajiv's with multiple custom Paul Hynes DR SR 7's connected to your network devices, fiber isolation, multiple well designed switches clock synced by a top reference clock, JCAT Net Femto NIC powered by another Paul Hynes LPS, and so on - I can tell you what happens to those cheap CAT6 UTP cables with plastic connectors - you throw them in the garbage because they are the biggest enemy of your sound system. That's what happens :).

Amen!!!

Rajiv, a fine review, thorough would be an understatement!

One point to clarify, you placed the SQ of the EtherRegen and S100 as being very close.  Am I correct that this was with the EtherRegen using the REF10’s reference clock, and the S100 necessarily using its own clock?  I think I have this right, but I’m not completely sure. 

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

4 hours ago, latenz said:

Did you try once, playing form an internal drive in your music computer?

This is a deep topic in its own right, and will take this thread off-topic! So, please post any followup on the thread I'll link below.

Yes, I have indeed tried internal drives, and it takes a lot of effort and optimization to mitigate for their presence in the music computer. Not saying it can't be done, but it's not as simple as just hooking up an NVMe SSD or SATA HDD.

The reason I went the NAS route is based on the simple idea that NO storage disk is quieter (from a noise perspective) than even the quietest one. And this was facilitated by the use of Euphony OS and Stylus. Once you can pre-buffer the music before playback, you've taken the storage device out of the picture.

I suggest you take a look at this thread: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/ Check out the index in the first post, and do some searches. You will find people have discussed these tradeoffs extensively.

4 hours ago, latenz said:

Thanks again for your impressive deep review.
Btw…nice music decision…

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, Confused said:

Rajiv, a fine review, thorough would be an understatement!

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, Confused said:

One point to clarify, you placed the SQ of the EtherRegen and S100 as being very close.  Am I correct that this was with the EtherRegen using the REF10’s reference clock, and the S100 necessarily using its own clock?  I think I have this right, but I’m not completely sure. 

Yes, exactly right.