IGNORED

Article: UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Review and Comparison

7 minutes ago, rhmmmm said:

With a QKORE coming, my next question is...should I ground the EtherREGEN to it using a spade to the ground terminal? or should I use an RJ45 grounding cable to a port on the 4-port side?

I'm assuming the ground terminal with spade would be the best option?

I have no experience with the QKORE, but with grounding solutions, you just have to experiment. I would think a spade on the grounding post would be best, but easy enough to try it both ways...

14 hours ago, austinpop said:

Look forward to reading your review.

I got them from Amazon, but the pricing seems to fluctuate: 

Hi Rajev,

My articles will be in the May/June issues of TAS. One on the Gold Note PH-10 and one on streaming using optical fiber. 

Thanks for the information on the optical transceivers. 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

13 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

I appreciate the kind words, Rajiv.  My experiments continued and I have actually moved on from the Startech FMCs.  I’m now using the Planet Technology SFPs without attenuators as listed here.  My upstream FMC is now the opticalModule and downstream it’s the ER. Clarity and focus improved with the Planet Tech SFPs - I think partly due to them not needing attenuators.  The OM also offered a nice improvement over the Startech FMC.  I can honestly say that I am done as far as trying different SFPs. The next step for me will be to get better power supplies for both the ER and OM.  Rajiv it was really helpful that you provided observations on the use of different power supplies with the ER.  I’ll probably go with the Farad for the ER.  

Thanks for the info, Kenny! 

Digital: Mac Mini/Roon Core/Optical Module->long run of fiber->EtherREGEN->SOtM UltraNeo->Schiit Gumby DAC. Shunyata Sigma Ethernet/Alpha USB Amplification: First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 preamp, LP70S amp Speakers: Harbeth 30.2/Power/Cables: Shunyata Everest 8000, Shunyata Sigma XC and NR, Alpha XC and NR, & Venom 14 Digital PCs, Alpha V2 ICs and SPs.  

5 hours ago, Nenon said:

Can't disagree with the importance of the room. I give the room 50% in my system. It's more important than any single component. 

I'm not in headphones for ages, so went over Harman's et al research in a swift, but it seems that, even more than room correction, headphone correction is needed since most masterings are done for and with speakers in rooms where room gain lifts the LF. Since Rajiv does not mention any such thing and since I've only seen headphones in his equipment, I hope he's not spending fortunes in minute details to compensate for a way off in very measurable decibels in ears response. 

8 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

I'm not in headphones for ages, so went over Harman's et al research in a swift, but it seems that, even more than room correction, headphone correction is needed since most masterings are done for and with speakers in rooms where room gain lifts the LF. Since Rajiv does not mention any such thing and since I've only seen headphones in his equipment, I hope he's not spending fortunes in minute details to compensate for a way off in very measurable decibels in ears response. 

You're out of your element. Headphone cross-feed and "correction" has been tried for decades and the market has always rejected it. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, Puma Cat said:

All an Innuous does is put a lot of high-bandwidth noise from its CPU into other components in the audio rack. Moreover, this high-bandwidth noise from these CPUs is picked up by unshielded speaker cables, which acts an antennas for high-bandwidth noise and is fed backwards into the power amp, only to be re-amplified as noise. 

The best thing you can with respect to any music server is to locate it as far away from the audio rack as possible. Mine is 40 feet away from the audio rack, I run fiber from it to the network bridge. 

This is really good advice - advice that I should actually follow.  In my case the two noise generators are my Innuos server and Hugo M-Scaler.  My OPTO-DX provides me with the ability to place these I think up to 5m away from the rest of my gear using an optical connection.  One of these days.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

30 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Headphone cross-feed and "correction" has been tried for decades and the market has always rejected it. 

The DAVE has a cross-feed feature, as does my TT2.  I do think that some Chord headphone users appreciate having this feature.  I don't do headphone listening with my TT2 so I have no opinion on this feature. 

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

10 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

This is really good advice - advice that I should actually follow.  In my case the two noise generators are my Innuos server and Hugo M-Scaler.  My OPTO-DX provides me with the ability to place these I think up to 5m away from the rest of my gear using an optical connection.  One of these days.

Yep, it really makes a difference. A difference that is audible. Back in 2016 when Chris was accurately espousing the virtues of the Sonore microRendu, as soon as I got one and placed my Mac Mini in the bedroom/study 40 feet away, the audible benefits are clear. If you can run fiber, this will make moving your Innuous that much easier and more feasible. 

37 minutes ago, austinpop said:

May I ask how any of this is relevant to the topic at hand? You seem to want to debate room correction and/or headphone equalization in thread about an ethernet switch review. 

Trust me, he's not. (Referring to myself in the 3rd person. :))

no no I do want to debate room correction and/or headphone equalization in thread about an ethernet switch review. 

I meant compared to x change, if x change yields a 10 difference out a scale of 10, then y change has  a zyx value, that is.... i picked headphone equalization as an example for x, etherregen being the y ; pick whatever you want in place of headphone equalization, ie, a change of  SPL by volume selector we all have one place or another.

It's a general issue I have with any review : how to scale what a change brings compared to other types of changes.

Maybe this could be an hygiene for any review : once we have found huge differences through whatever gear or setting, let's listen 1 or 2 dB softer and louder and recalibrate our impressions

I do not think this is off topic, but if so my apologies.

If a DAC had a fibre optic input, like the Lumin X1, would something like the eR be needed? Assuming you used a good fibre switch from you router, such as this one.

https://www.ui.com/unifi-switching/unifi-switch-8-150w/

I am debating between the following 2 DAC's:

1) Mola Mola Makua or Tamaqui DAC  (plus 1 of)

a. RJ45 streaming + eR

b. USB streaming + Sonore Signiture Rendu SE Optical 

2) Lumin X1 with fibre optic streaming.

I have limited experience in this but my understanding is that the fibre optical cable eliminates all analog noise that can cause degradation in sound.

Wow , what a herculean review Rajiv, so much ground covered , this must have taken you days to compile. Very well put across , I already have the eR but i will come back to this as a reference if I should add to my relatively simple system.

Many thanks for the review.

I have a question for the readers who have more experience than myself on providing clean power to audio devices.

Im running a choke based Isotek Sigmas gen 2 in my system. I have the standard supplied eR power pack plugged into the sigmas as well as my apple TV, Lyngdorf TDAI3400, my Sony TV and my REL subwoofer.

Would I still potentially gain some benefit from adding an LPS to the eR ? From reading JS’s paper I’m thinking yes , but would be interested in others opinions. 😃

Despite a growing number of etherREGEN users who are reporting benefits with better power supplies, I still don't quite understand why this is so. The white paper unfortunately doesn't have an answer to this, as well as the initial claims that it shouldn't make a difference. I'm glad to have read the PS comparisons here, since not everyone has that many of them at their disposal. With the design of the etherREGEN, I expected it to protect the high-source-impedance leakage coming from its own PS.

I've sussed why Taiko Extreme users are avoiding the B moat, why choosing the right SFP (eg Planet tech>Startech) matters for the etherREGEN with lots of reading (and over-reading) at WBF, but I hope to get a satisfactory explanation about power supplies from anyone.

11 hours ago, k-man said:

I've sussed why Taiko Extreme users are avoiding the B moat

This puzzles me, can you explain?  Maybe it is not an easy one to explain, but I am intrigued.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.