IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

5 minutes ago, Nenon said:

It works as a regular NVME storage for the OS. The OS loads to RAM on boot. So there is very little / almost no I/O after the OS is loaded. The common believe why this particular Optane card sounds so good is because it consumes very little power while idle... and most likely that generates less noise.

Thanks!

I think you have also used the pink faun i2s bridge in some of your builds. I may use an AMD CPU to be able to use the i2s bridge, but prefer the intel i9-9900k with the maximus gene XI mobo... pink faun says some intel CPUs work with their bridge, some don't. Do you know first hand if these play well together? Anyone else care to chime in?

Thank you again

2 minutes ago, Downtheline said:

I think you have also used the pink faun i2s bridge in some of your builds. I may use an AMD CPU to be able to use the i2s bridge, but prefer the intel i9-9900k with the maximus gene XI mobo... pink faun says some intel CPUs work with their bridge, some don't. Do you know first hand if these play well together? Anyone else care to chime in?

Thank you again

I do. the PinkFaun I2S bridge would NOT work on the i9-9900k with the maximus gene XI mobo. That's one of the reasons I went the AMD route some time ago. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

1 hour ago, Nenon said:

I do. the PinkFaun I2S bridge would NOT work on the i9-9900k with the maximus gene XI mobo. That's one of the reasons I went the AMD route some time ago. 

Ok that solves that issue! Any idea if the PF i2s bridge would work with xeon 4210 and a supermicro microATX mobo (I know, pretty specific). 

24 minutes ago, Nenon said:

two Xeon CPUs

Interesting.  You doubled up the hdplex heat sink cpu mounts and seem to have added some generic heat sinks to the uncovered edges of each cpu. How do you attach the heat sink cpu mounts to the socket?  2 screws each? 

I was just told the case was incompatible with the socket! This looks great!

Hello!

I am going to make my first single-box audio streamer and would like to ask for advice. In order not to multiply the threads I’m asking a few short questions here.

My current system looks like a laptop with JRiver + Sotm dX-USB HD + Metrum Musette DAC. Music sources are library on XigmaNAS and Tidal.

The music streamer is supposed to include:

1. Euphony OS.

2. HD Plex H5 + 400W NanoATX combo (future replacement for LPS).

3. PinkFaun USB Bridge or SPDIF Bridge. The 1st question is what will be better: PinkFaun USB Bridge + SOTM or PinkFaun SPDIF Bridge?

4. The 2nd question is AMD (Ryzen 5) or Intel (Core i5) platform? Euphony make its servers on Intel, PinkFaun on AMD. I understand that in terms of SQ it’s reasonable to rely on personal preferences (and here my choice is more likely to be a smoother AMD), but what do you recommend in terms of better compatibility with PinkFaun Bridge and Euphony? Would CPU without a Graphics Processor be preferable?

Nenon: The Xeon based server you are making; would it be able to do HQP DSD64 to DSD512? My current i9900k does it easily. I do not know how two 2.2Mhz processors would compare to a single 3.6MHz processor. I know you are still working on it, but theoretically how would it compare? 

25 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Yes. It works fine with those CPUs.

You have more cores (a lot more) but lower clock speed. I would actually go with AMD for HQP. No need for HQP in my system, so this build would be tweaked for high CPU/process isolation. 

Speaking of high CPU/process isolation, I am also planning to try Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 instead of Euphony. I actually just happened to have access to the IOT version as well, which is what the Extreme uses. Since I don't have root access to Euphony, it is hard to optimise everything properly with the limited Expert Settings in Euphony. Windows would give me a much finer level of control. It would be interesting to try Windows again after I have been a Euphony fan for a long time. Tweaking this server properly takes a lot of time. But I think it's worth it. I also needed a really good power supply for this build. But I will share more info on that some other time. 

My custom industrial RAM is due at the end of the month. Quite excited about that. 

Moving to the Dark Side of the force!!!!! 😂

Presume using Windows you will be able to set tasks to run on dedicated sticks of RAM? 

What tweaking are you planning on doing? maybe Euphony can give me tweaking options?

Nenon's server build thread has inspired me to consider building my first server, not that I'm unhappy with the Aries, but curious to see what more may lie ahead.  The Z390 ITX seemed an attractive, compact and not too challenging approach.  What I've found though, is the rapid obsolescence of computer gear.  The motherboard is being replaced by the Z490 and a new CPU socket.  The new boards look impressive with a lot of heatsink armour and the new CPUs come with a TDP of 125W.  A recipe for heat issues?

Nenon's latest build involves Intel's LGA 3467 socketed Xeon CPU, stunningly showcased by Taiko with an equally impressive price.  A good deal of time spent on Google rewarded me with info on another server; Phasure's Stealth 3.  This uses an Asrock board with the option of several Xeon CPUs and pre dates the arrival of the Extreme.  Coincidentally, both products derive from the Netherlands so possibly some cross fertilisation of ideas.  That said, the Stealth has a rudimentary almost DIY construction with the only standout features being the proprietary LPS and software.  The CPU is the most expensive component in the build.  I have not heard this server but all the customer posts have been positive and the developer's possibly biased and unique Dutch/English posts translate to me the server warrants some consideration, not least because of its implementation.  It has been built to use HQ player, controlled by Windows 10 and consumes 56W when active.  This is achieved by running the CPU at 960MHz, the DIMMS at 1886MHz and a 14/28 core CPU with core count reduced to 10/20; a radically different approach to say the Z390 optimisation.  I'm wondering if this is how the Extreme operates?

Where Nenon made the post that his recent AMD and Intel builds sounded different rather than one or the other better, I think the Scalable Xeon may be the path to something better.

I'm not game to try a dual CPU board build and having read the thread on the Phasure site, feel that complexity may not be justified.  The Asrock mATX board I was looking for is no longer available.  They do offer an ITX but it has the usual constraints; 1 PCIE x 16, 2 x M.2 and only 4 DIMM slots.  Supermicro's mATX  X11 SPM TPF has several ethernet variants and 3 PCIE slots, 1 x M.2.  This with a 4214 CPU will probably be my choice.

It would be interesting to know how Nenon's custom RAM performs.

Martin.

Just read Nenon's Monday post and mention of trying Windows instead of Euphony.  I hope this doesn't come across as me being a shill for Phasure, but they offer a selection of OS for the Stealth that can be purchased separately.

Martin.

1 hour ago, Hauser said:

Phasure's Stealth 3

1 hour ago, Hauser said:

selection of OS

These are products from @PeterSt brain. He posts here on AS too sometimes. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

3 hours ago, Hauser said:

Supermicro's mATX  X11 SPM TPF has several ethernet variants and 3 PCIE slots, 1 x M.2.  This with a 4214 CPU will probably be my choice

Biggist issue with this approach seems to be cooling the cpu. There are no off the shelf fanless cooling options for this big cpu. I see that nenon was able to solve that problem, but not yet sure how. 

I sometimes wonder if the issue related to single server being better than a server/endpoint concept to be not so much on the hardware side but related to software being lossy in some way. If we assume that “low noise” (mind you, i haven’t said “low power”) system connected to a DAC vastly improves SQ, then theoretically an extreme server and extreme client combo is supposed to be at par or even better than a single extreme but that’s not the case. This leads me to believe that either the s/w and it’s communicating protocol being lossy, incur more latency or the network interface between the server and client is generating a noise pattern which is detrimental to SQ or a combination of both.

As for a high power server, I echo others sentiment. I have started dabbling my hands onto it and all I can say at this time is after hearing it even with ATX power supply and with the Jcat usb and Net powered PH SR4, I can never ever go back to any of the Rendu’s or for that matter a NUC. I have planned for a diy Lps for this new server and have parts coming in slowly. So will see how much further I can take it in terms of SQ but Emily, @romaz, @Nenon has been bang for the buck right on this !!!

My previous “high powered” server (was a dual PC setup) built couple of years ago was a 4th gen i7 S version with low TDP and onboard clock replaced with TCXO. This setup was trumped by a NUCi7 powered by excellent quality power supply. Admittedly, the newer generation of motherboard and CPUs are much ahead of the game in terms of technology advancement (larger cache, more cores, faster base clock, more PCI lanes and many more) which also has brought significant  SQ improvements as many of you have found out through various experiments - thanks to all the forerunners like @romaz, @Nenon and others.