IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

@Energy Great post, you've earned your title of Audio Sophomaniac 🙂

Wished I'd crossed paths with you earlier when I was doing my VRM & power supply experiments.  Due to my lack of success I'd then given up on the idea of being able to design something which betters the NUC/SR7 combo.  The information you've shared makes me think your ideas are very promising!

As you say, power supply is key - I am happy building using off the shelf modules and can also stuff and solder through hole PCB's, but no way I could design from scratch.   Are you able to flesh out your proposed build / products /designs being used for the power?

My server build continues with the addition of 16Gb Apacer Dimm (thanks Nenon) . I have also installed a 2Tb NVMe PCIe M.2 drive for music storage. Using this for playback instead of my NAS drive has produced another improvement in sound quality, more natural, slightly better dynamics, impact and excitement. I expect this to be more pronounced when I am able to power the server with a PH SR7 12v+19v. However a very welcome advantage with using the M2 for storage is that I am able to load my 24k track list into the HQplayer playlist in 30 seconds and scan the entire library in a similar time.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Dev said:

Has anyone able to find good quality micro-ATX motherboard with 2 PCIe slots, with at least one slot being CPU direct ?

Supermicro X11SCH-F

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

14 minutes ago, dminches said:

Supermicro X11SCH-F

Yeah, I have looked at that motherboard. can you confirm that a i9-9900K or a KF will work ? It doesn't seem to support 300 series 1151 socket. Also, this motherboard will need a thermal riser if installing on Streacom but not a issue. 

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Yeah, I have looked at that motherboard. can you confirm that a i9-9900K or a KF will work ? It doesn't seem to support 300 series 1151 socket. Also, this motherboard will need a thermal riser if installing on Streacom but not a issue. 

I don’t know all the CPUs it supports.  I am using a Xeon CPU.  And, yes, it requires a riser but that part is easy.

I would email their support to ask about the CPUs.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

2 hours ago, dminches said:

I don’t know all the CPUs it supports.  I am using a Xeon CPU.  And, yes, it requires a riser but that part is easy.

I would email their support to ask about the CPUs.

which Xeon are you using ?

40 minutes ago, Dev said:

which Xeon are you using ?

Intel Xeon E-2124G

I am only running Roon server and not HQ Player so I don’t need a ton of processing power.

10 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

@Nenon amazing post - can you show us more about how you undertook the motherboard clock mod?  I would also be interested your thoughts on the impact of the motherboard clock mod, vs say, adding JCAT USB  & NET cards only...

11 hours ago, Nenon said:

My new build is:

- ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero full size ATX motherboard 

- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU

- Apacer ECC RAM

- Upgraded motherboard clock with PinkFaun ultraOCXO clock

- The new JCAT XE USB card

- JCAT NET Femto card

- PinkFaun I2S Bridge with ultraOCXO clock

- Optane card for the OS

- HDPlex H5 Case

- HDPlex 800W DC to DC ATX Convertor

- Gaia feet

- Mundorf Silver Gold DC wire all around

- Euphony OS

IMG_2982.thumb.jpg.149c965ce588dff540555e5569529fb9.jpg

I made that carbon fiber plate with two connectors that I quite like. One connector goes to the CPU / EPS and the other to the HDPlex.

IMG_2986.jpg.e51f18a6cfd93ee388cf6f68b2f0ac56.jpg

On the other side I just drilled a hole on the plate and installed a connector to power the OCXO clock. I will be adding a grounding post this weekend as well. 

IMG_2989.jpg.22fe70172a4c85c066e1fba4062dd313.jpg

And of course vibration isolation with Gaia feet:

IMG_2995.jpg.fc4113b7a00f3778ee41399bd6bfd469.jpg

There were three big questions I wanted to answer with this build.

I will be honest with you and tell you upfront that I did not spend enough time to apply the typical systematic approach of testing. Here is why - I am doing this as a hobby and when I hear that something I did convincingly sounds better, I am not interested to go back and forth and study how much better it sounds. I wish I spent a little more time with each small change, but I had too many thing going on. 

Let's start with the motherboard. Does it sound better than the mini-ITX motherboard? Yes, it does. But I don't think we should make the conclusion that every full size ATX motherboard sounds better than its mini-ITX sibling. That's not true, and I have seen the opposite. But this particular ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero sounds a little better than the ASUS ROG Strix X470-I Gaming mini-ITX motherboard. Not much better, just a little. 

After adding the PinkFaun ultraOCXO clock, this motherboard sounded much better than the mini-ITX model. Not all OCXO clock upgrades are up to my taste. They all seem to help with details, but some of them make the sound too sterile, too clinical, even lean in some cases. That's kind of what I expected by replacing this motherboard clock. But my expectations were wrong, and I was pleasantly surprised. The effect was quite different than what I thought. The first thing I noticed was a lot of air between the instruments. There was also more layers, more depth, and the bass became tighter and more real. It was immediately noticeable, but after a week I decided to go back to the stock motherboard clock just to double check. I did not listen for long with the stock clock. It was all confirmed immediately and I switched back to the ultraOCXO clock. Another thing I noticed was that the PinkFaun ultraOCXO clock improved a lot the USB output of the motherboard. Especially the USB ports that are connected to the chipset sounded a lot better with the clock. I think for the first time I actually preferred the USB ports that go through the chipset than the ones that don't. But ultimately I preferred the new JCAT USB XE card. More on that later. One little detail - this clock requires really good and clean power. The cleaner, the better. And good DC wires. My Mundorf silver/gold DC cables came to rescue again. 

Having said all that, it's hard for me to answer the second question. 

I don't know. It's a different motherboard with ultraOCXO clock. It definitely sounds better, but how much of that has to do with the fact that I did not have to use a PCIe extension cable, and how much was due to the different hardware? I have no idea. 

I was also wondering how the passive cooling on the HDPlex H5 chassis compares with the Streacom. I was thinking to install two identical motherboards and run some tests to see how efficient in heat dissipation each case was. Well, I will leave that test to someone else. A lot of IT youtubers out there do those experiments. I just don't have the time. 

But I think it's obvious that the HDPlex H5 passive cooling is much better. Streacom on the left, HDPlex on the right:

IMG_2999.thumb.jpg.d48388dbf495079aa8c8a59934fac6db.jpg

Streacom has 4 copper pipes. HDPlex has 8 copper pipes. Streacom has a tiny aluminum mounting plate. HDPlex has a massive copper piece with a big aluminum heatsink going on top. Streacom's pipes are flattened and they lose performance this way. HDPlex are not and go inside groves in the heatsink. And the HDPlex heatsinks on the chassis are bigger, at least compared to the Streacom FC9. Plus the HDPlex supports full size ATX motherboard with vertical PCIe cards and no risers.

The only things I hate about the HDPlex is that you need to remove the entire backplate to install PCIe cards. Maybe it's convenient for one card, but try doing 4 PCIe cards at the same time when you also have 3 DC connectors with soldered wires on the plate... not fun! But some people think that's the best thing about this case. I won't repeat the conversation that happened previously in this thread regarding that. Between the two cases, my preference is the HDPlex case now, but that's mainly because of the full size ATX support. The HDPlex has thinner bottom and top covers - that's not good for vibration treatment. 

Okay, what's next? JCAT USB XE Card. It's really good and keeps getting better and better over time. I really like it, and it's an easy recommendation. I can't tell how it compares with the PinkFaun USB bridge with ultraOCXO clock, but (besides the PF) I can tell you that it's better than any other USB card I have tried. It would be interesting to do an A/B comparison between the PinkFaun with ultraOCXO and the JCAT card.  

Let me touch on CPU choices a little bit. Emile from Taiko has done an extensive research on CPUs and shared some of his results on another forum. My understanding is that he has tried pretty much every CPU he thought might have a chance no matter the price. And interestingly enough he did not like the sound coming out of the AMD CPUs he tried. Romaz also built a computer with an AMD Ryzen 9 that has 105W TDP in a Streacom FC9 chassis. I don't think the Streacom chassis is up to the task to cool down a 105W TDP CPU. At that point you need to start reducing the voltage / speed on the CPU just to keep it cool enough. That in my opinion diminishes the sound quality. And even when my chassis get somewhat hot, I can hear degraded sound. The HDPlex is a better choice, but as far as AMD CPUs go I don't think we can go higher that the 65W TDP of the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU I am using. 

Emile is a genius. We all know that. And it seems like he has resources we can only dream about. But I feel like it's difficult to compare CPUs and have a definitive conclusion about the sound of each CPU. Is it possible that the same CPU sounds very different in his system with his power supply and his choice of motherboard with his tweaked operating system than it sounds in my system with my power supply and my choice of motherboard and completely different operating system? I think the answer to that question is yes. Not only it is very possible, but it's also very likely. I really like the way this new server turned out. It's better than my previous AMD build, which I quite liked. It might be better them my previous Intel builds. It certainly sounds different and probably different people would have different preferences. 

But regardless of that, Emile's test sharing is very useful. Ultimately, there is only one way to find out, so here it is:

IMG_2974.thumb.jpg.8fed614781831df9d46c1883846bd03b.jpg

This is the ASUS WS C621E Sage Extreme motherboard with two Intel XEON SILVER 4210 CPUs that the Taiko Extreme uses inside an HDPlex case. It would be interesting to complete this build and compare with my other builds. Granted, I won't have the million small tweaks Emile has put in the Extreme, but I will apply all the stuff I have learned during my builds. Not trying to reach the Extreme but just to explore another route. I have a custom order Apacer RDIMM RAM coming in several weeks. Between now and then there is a lot of challenges I need to overcome. Don't ask me how I am going to passively cool down those CPUs for example. I don't know. There is no adaptor for the fclga3647 socket in the HDPlex or Streacom kits. I will have to build my own. I have several different Dynatron coolers coming my way as well as various cooling pipes and a pipe bending tool. Ideally, the CPU that is closer to the front of the chassis would be cooled by the left heatsink and the second CPU would be cooled by the right heatsink. That would be a heck of a project. 

Why the HDPlex 800W DC to DC ATX Convertor? Did you test it against SJ LPS? 

7 minutes ago, Nenon said:

The clock I replaced was under this heatsink:

IMG_2684.thumb.jpg.2ad44135a13b6c332852fc511a2ea764.jpg

Here it is:

IMG_2685.thumb.jpg.b6f677a2c96b7a332aa0963f845a9c11.jpg 

I used my HAKKO FR301-03/P Desoldering Tool to remove the clock:

IMG_2693.thumb.jpg.b7a3ba5762904da95fb3921838d02be8.jpg

Clock is out:

IMG_2694.thumb.jpg.1e39d675b9f64582c0520295ccc46ba2.jpg

Silver wires in organic unbleached cotton sleeve soldered - WBT silver solder used:

481415532_IMG_26962.thumb.jpg.ed68f5d9417ab49f5eaa128be8c8f85e.jpg

Heatsink put back in place:

IMG_2697.thumb.jpg.e6aa0b7d50c7620aa1496d0c14bfe1b4.jpg

You can mount the clock on the side and use longer wires. But I wanted to use the shortest possible wires. So I made a carbon fiber plate and used 4 standoffs on the four motherboard mounting holes to attach my plate to. I also added the 4 white standoffs to mount the clock:

IMG_2698.thumb.jpg.02384efb746908bfe1b911828fe7067a.jpg

Here it is with the clock attached before soldering the wires:

IMG_2699.thumb.jpg.bfdd7b4ae2b856f3a48824458191220f.jpg

Solder the wires and add two more wire for the DC power of the clock (on the right side). The clock takes 5V DC. Installation completed:

IMG_3002.thumb.jpg.be5af622fd59fc508db43f4320f97623.jpg

I may redo the carbon fiber plate and add various holes to increase the airflow to the heatsink that this plate is blocking. But so far heat there has not been a problem. 

I wanted to have a more universal platform, so I can test various power supplies, motherboards, etc. I did not do an A/B comparison, but I know from experience that more rails is better. For the ultimate set up, I would have done 8 rails (3 x ATX, 1 x EPS, 1 x clock, 3 x PCIe cards). But using 6 rails (1 x Hdplex/ATX, 1 x EPS, 1 x clock, 1 x PCIe) sounds pretty good as well. The EPX rails requires a lot of current - 6A+. The HDPlex needs about 30-35 Watts in this configuration, and it can take 16V - 63V. A 22V-1.5A LPS works just fine. I am using 22V-5A LPS, which is an overkill. 

Sorry I had in my head you had a SJ 7 rail LPS. My bad! 

Anyway nice build, lots of usual great stuff from you Nenon! I’m sure your builds help so many people out there. 

8 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Very nice Nenon - thanks for the details.  Did you try a listen with just the JCAT cards prior to the motherboard clock install?  Just interested in sound quality improvements vs investment ratio.

I got the JCAT after the clock upgrade, so no, I did not. In terms of sound quality improvements vs investment ratio I would start by getting the JCAT USB XE card first. And then upgrade the motherboard clock. One does not replace the other; they are additive upgrades. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

Agree with @Nenon regarding AMD vs Intel sound. I moved from Intel I7 to Ryzen 3950X for my music server. And the SQ improvement was obvious. Compared to Intel, I think the sound is more relax and there's certain ease to the sound I've not experience before on my previous i7 CPU. Having said that, Emilie (on whatsbestforum) mentioned his Intel vs AMD comparison and I agree with him as well. Judging from memory (unreliably), I think AMD might be little leaner sounding compared to Intel, the latter is richer and might have "lower" noise floor. But AMD certainly seemed more dynamic, propulsive and perhaps little bit more nuanced. No idea why - higher core count and much larger cache?

This little leaner characteristics works really well for my setup as my Joseph Audio Perspective 2 Graphene speakers are already warm, rich and inviting. It allows for a nice balancing act. At the end, system matching is important. 

2 minutes ago, shahed99 said:

At the end, system matching is important. 

+100  All the way to the room and your ears.  That's why this hobby is so interesting, IMHO, as strange bedfellows can, sometimes, really work in one's system...and be another person's impossibility! 

1 hour ago, Nenon said:

The HDPlex needs about 30-35 Watts in this configuration, and it can take 16V - 63V. A 22V-1.5A LPS works just fine. I am using 22V-5A LPS, which is an overkill. 

Since you are only using the HDPlex to power the motherboard, is your 1.5A estimate reduced because you are powering the clock externally or is that only what the motherboard really needs?  I am using a Keces 20V 8A LPS for that purpose.  I guess that is really overkill.