IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

1 hour ago, Nenon said:

Innuos is a great option if you are not into DIY. 

Ping me on PM on that. I occasionally do some DC cables for members here but don't always have the time.

21V - 5A for the HDPlex 800W DC to DC ATX

12V - 10A for the CPU / EPS

5V - 3A for the JCAT USB XE

5V - 3A for the JCAT Net Femto

5V - 3A for PinkFaun ultra OCXO clock

I prefer the JCAT Net Femto in this build. If has better clock and external power. 

Fiber NICs, such as the Startech PEX1000SFP2 card draw power from the PCIe slot, which generates more electrical noise than an externally powered JCAT NICs. I have found that tweaking my network and adding fiber elsewhere is a better approach and works better for me. Tweaking the network is a whole other topic.

Yes, it's more than enough in my case. Even 4GB works, but you are too close to the edge.

Thanks for all your clear answers!!

2 hours ago, Downtheline said:

Peter do you think you could do the drawings for this general case set up as well?

I have already done drawings for nozzles of proton accelerators and complete mass spectroscopy machines with radioactive strontimum-90 at http://www.inp.demokritos.gr/

Several years ago.

I guess that this won't be any more difficult...

Design & Manufacture of High Fidelity Audio Equipment
28 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Well, completely offtopic, but since you opened up the subject, here is what I have been working on while waiting for my custom Apacer memory. 

This is an Extreme, cost no object, version of the Audio Mirror Reflection 45W Set monoblocks with custom transformers, Mundorf Mtube and Mlytic capacitors in the power supply, Z-foil resistors all over, Duelund CAST PIO tinned copper capacitors, exotic wiring, WBT Nextgen connectors, Furutech NCF inlet, etc. The list goes on. I use four of these to bi-amp my high efficient speakers, which have 18'' woofers. I tried Jeff Rowland 625 S2 amps for the woofers thinking that might be the ultimate bass amplification. But those SET monoblocks outperformed the Jeff Rowland by a huge margin in the bass section. It's unbelievable how much more detailed and vibrant bass I got with those. That was one of those shocking and completely unexpected moments. I was so biased towards the Jeff Rowland that it took me quite some time to believe it. But it sounds like this is a small toy compared the stuff you are talking about :). 

Digital, on the other hand, is completely different. You really have to tune your listening differently to identify the small differences in the digital domain. Needless to say, the power supply is the most important component in the digital source. And the power supplies that do miracles for analog gear don't necessarily work that good for digital. A high powered server with not so optimal power supply can sound pretty bad. But once you nail down the power, the magic starts. 

The Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero build mentioned earlier in this thread with the upgraded motherboard ultraOCXO clock sounds amazing. This dual Xeon Asus SAGE will surpass the Asus ROG build but it takes a lot more effort. One is running Euphony, the other one is running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC. They are tuned completely different. One sounds better playing music from a NAS. The other does not sound good from NAS and needs local storage. It also takes quite a bit of effort to tweak your network. But when it all clicks, it's magical. 

Perhaps one of the people who are interested here can take case of this? If there is no volunteer, I can do it later this week.

If this is Dirk, that's one of the people I had in mind as well. Haven't talked to him lately, but I believe he would be willing to send you the motherboard. 

Very nice project. So you're a SET guy! At least it seems that we speak the same language 🙂

It seems you became a SET guy after your comparison with JF designs... Hehe, I am a bit older than you 🙂

It seems we're going to be communicating here a bit more frequently...

I know that PS is probably the 80% of sound qualities everywhere. I'm going to build my supplies but now I'm into other things so I have left this project for the future.

Yes, it's Dirk. You know him? Amazing! Send him a message and ask him about me. I don't like talking about myself. You'll have some info...

All the best,

Peter

Design & Manufacture of High Fidelity Audio Equipment

Hi Peter. Thanks for letting us know of your really valued skillset, and we are thankful you are willing to help a couple of interested folks here out. Just so you don't run afoul of the powers that be here, be sure to disclose your commercial standing, IF ANY. I would hate for things to go sour down the road due to that. 

Again, thanks for making yourself available to assist in our DIY efforts here.

Maybe I'll get a nice Class D with switching supply and have that remind me what I don't pay attention to amps any more ;)  If I waver, I need you guys (as my sponsors) to call me out and help me hold the line...

That being said, I would be delighted to foster any SETs that are looking for a home during these troubled times ;)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

20 hours ago, Downtheline said:

Same here! I'd have to abandon the approach I am using for a single 36637 socket mobo though if this is only made for the socket like the Asus Sage. All mobos I see that use a single narrow socket will look like this.

Peter do you think you could do the drawings for this general case set up as well?

20200524_160047.jpg

20200524_160057.jpg

Hi Downtheline,

Just noticed your Frankenstein heatpipe implementation.  I intend using the same Supermicro board.  Recent mention had me look at the Turemetal cases and they seem to have a solution to your problem.  They use a third heatsink between the two case heatsinks.  Running the heatpipes parallel to the Ram cards to the third heatsink allows access to the cards without dismantling the pipes.  The socket base doesn't look overly complicated; a machine shop should be able to copy the Dynatron base in a lump of 12 x 108 x 78 copper and machine some parallel half radius slots in the top with a matching clamp down lid.  I'm thinking of four 8mm diameter pipes and using additional pipes to connect to the outside heatsinks as done by Turemetal.  Taiko Extreme looks to be using three 8mm heatpipes per CPU connected to a custom copper heatsink.  On line metals have 1.5 x 6 x 12inch copper bar for sale.  A more affordable option in extruded alloy from Marston 150 x 300 x 40.  Some DIY is called for.

Martin.

Can I ask a basic question? Apologies if it is answered elsewhere, but I have been inspired by this thread and put in an order to  Sean Jacobs! My question relates to the motherboard wiring. I was intending to wire all common voltage pins together, but notice you have not used them all. Is this because you are not using a SSD and so wiring the alternative separately? Thanks 

16 hours ago, Mr Morris said:

Can I ask a basic question? Apologies if it is answered elsewhere, but I have been inspired by this thread and put in an order to  Sean Jacobs! My question relates to the motherboard wiring. I was intending to wire all common voltage pins together, but notice you have not used them all. Is this because you are not using a SSD and so wiring the alternative separately? Thanks 

I have done it both ways. Some cheap ATX cables are so thin that two wires (plus and minus/ground) cannot provide the necessary current. Doubling those wires is quite necessary. If you use better (and thicker) wires, like the ones you see here, and your motherboard does not draw a lot of current, you don't need all. Having said that, running multiple wires to each voltage is a good idea. Go for it. 

All 3 voltages on the ATX combined together need less than 30W. That's why it did not really matter that much. If I was adding PCIe cards such as powerful video cards that need a lot of power, it would have been a different story. But the PCIe cards in this case are externally powered and there is nothing else connected to the motherboard (besides the small m.2 Optane card of course). The CPU/EPS is where most of the current draw happens. And I use all 8 wires there. 

Good luck with your build. Feel free to post some pictures and feedback here when done. I think most people reading this threat enjoy looking at other people's DIY builds. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

5 hours ago, Nenon said:

I have done it both ways. Some cheap ATX cables are so thin that two wires (plus and minus/ground) cannot provide the necessary current. Doubling those wires is quite necessary. If you use better (and thicker) wires, like the ones you see here, and your motherboard does not draw a lot of current, you don't need all. Having said that, running multiple wires to each voltage is a good idea. Go for it. 

All 3 voltages on the ATX combined together need less than 30W. That's why it did not really matter that much. If I was adding PCIe cards such as powerful video cards that need a lot of power, it would have been a different story. But the PCIe cards in this case are externally powered and there is nothing else connected to the motherboard (besides the small m.2 Optane card of course). The CPU/EPS is where most of the current draw happens. And I use all 8 wires there. 

Good luck with your build. Feel free to post some pictures and feedback here when done. I think most people reading this threat enjoy looking at other people's DIY builds. 

Thanks. I'll see what it turns out like first! You have set a very intimidatingly high standard.

I didn't realise that the grounds are all common. I wanted to keep them separate back to the caps. Or Do different ground pins correspond with particular voltages?

2 minutes ago, Mr Morris said:

I didn't realise that the grounds are all common. I wanted to keep them separate back to the caps. Or Do different ground pins correspond with particular voltages?

The entire ground plane is common on every motherboard I have seen. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

Just a head's up, looks like Apacer ECC RAM deliveries are delayed. Here is a quote from Matt at FullySilentPCs: 

"I want to let you know, this PO was delayed. We apologize. This was due to Samsung had changed ETD on our orders and we were not able to fulfill this order by the 25th. As of right now, we don’t have an ETD. Samsung will let us know on the 28th about our orders. We will provide you an ETD then."

So I expect to receive an update tomorrow and will pass the info on to you then. Samsung supplies the dies that Apacer uses in their ECC RAM.

Anyone have another source?