IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

12 hours ago, Superdad said:

No, our stance has always just been that an upgraded clock and power supply are not required in order to enjoy the majority of the benefits of the EtherREGEN.

But producing the device with provision for those to be added allowed us to offer the basic (yet still VERY advanced!) switch at reasonable cost, and for those who wish to carry it further.

We could build a big EtherREGEN with state-of-the-art AC>DC power supply and top-end OCXO built in (plus other enhancements), but the price would then be several thousand. Not going there anytime soon... 9_9

To check if my memory had failed me I read back and during the launch of the ER you literally said that it would take a very high-end master clock to gain benefits, is there were are any.

Have you come back from this thought? And have you actually experienced yourself that an external clock delivers significant improvements? If so, which types did you experiment with?

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

5 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

To check if my memory had failed me I read back and during the launch of the ER you literally said that it would take a very high-end master clock to gain benefits, is there were are any.

Have you come back from this thought? And have you actually experienced yourself that an external clock delivers significant improvements? If so, which types did you experiment with?

John S discussed in one of his posts at which phase noise an external clock would boost the ER performance.

Sorry I can't dig it up--not time :)

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

5 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

which phase noise

I think the value was -130dB at 10Hz

I just wonder more generic. If lets say the eR improves sound by +1 (whatever that is), how much improvements do peripherals do?

- Clock? +0.2?

- good LPS, +0.25?

- cables and others, +0.1?

I get the diminishing returns, but if a decent clock (AfterDark Prince) with its own LPS would only add 20% of SQ but 100% in price, its likely not worth it....

Any thoughts?

20 minutes ago, Mops911 said:

I just wonder more generic. If lets say the eR improves sound by +1 (whatever that is), how much improvements do peripherals do?

- Clock? +0.2?

- good LPS, +0.25?

I get the diminishing returns, but if a decent clock (AfterDark Prince) with its own LPS would only add 20% of SQ but 100% in price, its likely not worth it....

Any thoughts?

I've not played with clocks (yet) but adding a Sean Jacobs LPS to the ER was almost as big as adding the ER in the first place.

1 hour ago, Mops911 said:

- Clock? +0.2?

- good LPS, +0.25?

Any thoughts?

Exactly what I was thinking. In my setup an EUR 3000 Mutec Ref-10 didn't improve anything. A good LPS did improve a lot. Going from copper to fiber was the icing on the cake.

May be the EUR 5000 Ref-10 120 or a higher line Afterdark clock will squeeze out a bit. Quite a few members are stating this. But this money is probably much, much better spent buying a better streamer, DAC etc.

What I find difficult to filter in all this is that Uptone and Afterdark are commercially linked. I know this is a sponsored forum but still.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

45 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

The combined effect of multiple connections is much more substantial.

I agree.  The impact of the AfterDark on my Mutec (the last link before DAC) is huge, I don't say it lightly.  Right now, the ER is back to its internal clock.  I will try running external when my Mini-Circuits splitter arrives.  However, being upstream of the ultraRendu streamer, I expect it to make less impact than with the Mutec.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

22 hours ago, Superdad said:

No, our stance has always just been that an upgraded clock and power supply are not required in order to enjoy the majority of the benefits of the EtherREGEN.

But producing the device with provision for those to be added allowed us to offer the basic (yet still VERY advanced!) switch at reasonable cost, and for those who wish to carry it further.

We could build a big EtherREGEN with state-of-the-art AC>DC power supply and top-end OCXO built in (plus other enhancements), but the price would then be several thousand. Not going there anytime soon... 9_9

Would like to see the BIG ER option. Get rid of extra power supplies, power cords, etc. I understand, not until 2022!

Digital: 1Gbs Fiber to house, then to endpoint > looks like copper from endpoint to router (all stock from ATT) > Router to "A" side is Monoprice Cat 5e Monoprice > ER "B" side 3' Supra 8+ to wall (ER has SR4T LPS)  > 15-20' Cat 5e run to audio room > 3' Supra 8+ to Aurender N10.

System: TAD Evolution system: M2500 amp, C2000 pre/DAC, E-1 speakers. Aurender N10, ER, SR4T LPS.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

No, the only link between UpTone and AfterDark is that AfterDark is a dealer for UpTone in Hong Kong/China region. And not even exclusive dealer there--we have two others as well.

AfterDark is creating their own products and they enjoy promoting them for use with the hugely successful EtherREGEN.  They also enjoy selling our JS-2, UltraCap LPS-1.2, and ISO REGEN.

Alex, seriously? I think statements like this will make even the greatest Uptone Audio adepts frown. And I count myself among your fan base. I think it is dubious that you let a dealer who has multiple interests do so in a forum where members are mainly looking for reliable information. A dealer who also makes handy use of your reputation in his sales techniques and almost sells a kind of feeling of 'Uptone-certified' for his clock products.

I would appreciate if you answered my earlier question: have you actually experienced yourself that an external clock delivers significant improvements? If so, which types did you experiment with?

10 hours ago, Rsbrsvp said:

I have a Ref 10 SE-120 and it definitely improves sound.  I agree that the PS is more important.

I must admit that the improvement when using my Mutec OXCO only on the etherregen is not huge; call it more than subtle, but not much more than that.

However my Mutec is also hooked up to my DAC, DDC, SOTM TX-USB ULTRA, and soon a second etherregen.  The only extra expense in hooking up the Mutec to multiple components is an inexpensive BNC digital cable.

The combined effect of multiple connections is much more substantial.

Forgive me for being so straightforward, but no normal person is going to buy a $4,000 or more OXCO just for an etherregen. Such a person would be crazy.  However- once the connection is made to 4-5 devices within the same system, the worth of the Mutec is increased.  It is hard to define the TOTAL value of the Mutec in %, but the overall result is noticeably fuller sound, much better bass, much more focused sound, much better imaging and more transparent sound.   $4000 is still a lot of money, but if you want the best it costs. 

I totally agree with the above. I bought a Ref 10 and attached with ER / MC3+ also SOtM, to me even with not sensitive hearing can hear the difference. Finally I changed my upgrade plain , instead of purchase ARC Ref 6E pre amp, I go for Ref 10 SE-120 for another listening room. If I can't hear any benefit from Ref 10 to ER, why should I changed the original plain ?

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

2 hours ago, mitch751 said:

I totally agree with the above. I bought a Ref 10 and attached with ER / MC3+ also SOtM, to me even with not sensitive hearing can hear the difference. Finally I changed my upgrade plain , instead of purchase ARC Ref 6E pre amp, I go for Ref 10 SE-120 for another listening room. If I can't hear any benefit from Ref 10 to ER, why should I changed the original plain ?

Did you try a different clock cable? Because the default cable delivered with the Mutec’s is    maybe not that good !?

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

1 hour ago, ambre said:

Did you try a different clock cable? Because the default cable delivered with the Mutec’s is    maybe not that good !?

Unless Mutec has began enclosing a clock cable recently, both the MC+USB and REF10 don't come with any.

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]

Surround

24 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

By the way, even though the combined effect of attaching the Ref10 SE-120 to multiple components is much more substantial than attaching it to just one component, I still IMHO think it is WAY WAY overpriced relative to the gain.

I would place it as the worst investment in my system if I measure cost/benefit ratio.  Again, please do not misunderstand.  It does improve sound moderately IMHO. It is a appreciable but not huge impact when connected to multiple components.  I am only saying that IMHO the increase is to minimal relative to the cost.

I have components that made as much of a difference as the REF10 which cost a small % the cost of the mutec..

This post may not be popular because there is a need out there by audiophile fanatics to praise everything.  However, I have the right to express my true feelings and I'm getting pretty disgusted with the herd mentality.

By the way, IMHO the etherregen with no PS and no OXCO improved the sound of my system more than the REF10 for around 8 times less price.  Yes, my PS and REF10 SE-120 made the etherregen noticeably better (of which the PS is responsible for most of the gain), but etherregen only vs mutec only, cost no object, the etherregen had a larger effect.  In terms of cost/benefit, the etherregen is a giant killer.

By the way, I respectfully disagree with uptone that the etherregen without external PS is at 90% of benefit.  I would say perhaps 60%- 70%.  The external PS has a pretty big effect on the etherregen.  The clock, a bit more.  I respect uptones right to express their view of what they hear on the etherregen with and without PS, but my ears are my ears and although the etherregen by itself is a world class product, if you can afford a PS get one.   I just bought a Teddy Pardo PS here in Israel for around $400 and it had a VERY BIG impact on the etherregen IMHO..

Shalom...

It's pretty much agreed upon by its adherents that the REF10 is the icing on the cake, and far from representing a great value.

Still, it's a viable path for people who wish to squeeze the last drop of performance out of their systems. Assuming your system cost $30,000; that you enjoy it 1.5 hours a day; and that it'll serve you fatefully 10 years--the cost per hour is $5.47. Incorporating a REF10 adds $1.09 to that figure, which is 20%. Does the REF10 boots performance by 20%? Categorically not. Does it increase the listening pleasure? Absolutely. So at this point, each person makes their own evaluation and come to their own decision. 

Stereo

Surround

33 minutes ago, One and a half said:

I ordered a 10 pack on April 23, seven days later, they arrived in AU. Price is USD250 for the 10 pack, great bang for buck.

Are you going to tell us what happens if you chain them serially since the attenuation is only 20-30db per pair from the website? :-D

Gonna get me a few to try! Thanks for the research.