IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

36 minutes ago, MartinT said:

I can answer this in a modified way.  Are two reclockers better than one?

You bet, absolute no-brainer.  ER and Mutec are a fantastic combination.

Some streamer/DAC such as Lumin X1 already have a femto clock. Wouldn't Mutec between ER and Lumin cause any problems?

5 hours ago, octaviars said:

A rather easy thing to do is to get rid of the router from the ISP and get a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X-SFP that ha one SFP port that you can run directly to the eR. The Ubiquiti runs from 9-26Vdc so lots of possibilitys to use a nice PSU to it.

I use Finisar FTLF-1321P1BTL SFP modules and Corning ClearCurve cable between my EdgeRouter and eR.

Thank you.

My ISP doesn't allow me to change their router. I could add a switch after it, but I'm failing to see how adding a switch with SFP would be better than using an eR or oM in that place, to feed the existing eR. What am I missing?

@LewinskiH01 I think your approach with an eRG or OM is a very good option. 

Some folks, quite appropriately, like the EdgeX device as a router, versus the ISP all-in-one devices (modem, router, telephony). That said, depending upon your experience and comfort level, the Edge can be an "advanced" piece of gear to manage.

I think some folks were putting their ISP device in "bridge

mode" and using the EdgeX as a router, and some are using the SFP cage for optical output.

The potential issues are: constraints by the ISP, and when running in non-typical ways, having to troubleshoot your own problems.

I don't want to overstate that aspect, but if I needed to troubleshoot extensive network config issues, I would shortly be calling in favors from savvy friends. 

Admittedly, if your ISP device is on the Intel Puma chip, it might be electronically noisy. If it uses an external power supply, you could choose to use a better supply, and that would be pretty good, IMO. I'm on fiber, but that's what I do: LPS on ISP Nokia modem.

Depending on your network needs, the eReGen could be a great and reasonable solution. It has an SFP cage too, as I'm sure you know. Good Luck.

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

@LewinskiH01

If you read Alex’s latest posts around last 7 days, you may find some gold. Be patient. 

I guess I wouldn't be able to recognize gold if it hit me in the head! I've gone through Superdad's posts of the last 14 days and didn't find it.

Were you referring to his April 4 post regarding RJ45 SFP transceivers? I believe that's a different topic. You were probably referring to something else.

7 hours ago, chungjh said:

Some streamer/DAC such as Lumin X1 already have a femto clock. Wouldn't Mutec between ER and Lumin cause any problems?

My LKS DAC has a Coherent femtoclock inside. What you're trying to avoid is getting phase noise and jitter into the input of the DAC, where the noise does most damage to the music.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

18 hours ago, R1200CL said:

use single mode fiber and SFP’s with DBF laser. 

please show me the items ?

...no I really love all the boxes around, I prefer a more compact system if possible,

if you think, between switches, network converters, external clocks, and all possible power supplies in the end you have 8 -12 boxes around !!! 😑

today a new gear should arrive, the Melco S100 !!! Maybe if my sfp+ fiber optic system will work! (the network card on my PC should drop speed requests!)

On 3/23/2021 at 10:36 AM, Johnnydev said:

HI @MasterWarzombie

nice order.

you may be aware of it, but the SR orange is directional. The orange fuse must be placed in the Farad super 3 with SR from back to front.

The SR orange also needs a very long warm-up time and can even temporarily sound worse in the meantime. so be patient.

The farad super3 already sounds good, but it also gets better with time.

how long did you have to burn in the orange fuse - just got one and have it in the Farad...

12 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

@LewinskiH01 I think your approach with an eRG or OM is a very good option. 

Some folks, quite appropriately, like the EdgeX device as a router, versus the ISP all-in-one devices (modem, router, telephony). That said, depending upon your experience and comfort level, the Edge can be an "advanced" piece of gear to manage.

I think some folks were putting their ISP device in "bridge

mode" and using the EdgeX as a router, and some are using the SFP cage for optical output.

The potential issues are: constraints by the ISP, and when running in non-typical ways, having to troubleshoot your own problems.

I don't want to overstate that aspect, but if I needed to troubleshoot extensive network config issues, I would shortly be calling in favors from savvy friends. 

Admittedly, if your ISP device is on the Intel Puma chip, it might be electronically noisy. If it uses an external power supply, you could choose to use a better supply, and that would be pretty good, IMO. I'm on fiber, but that's what I do: LPS on ISP Nokia modem.

Depending on your network needs, the eReGen could be a great and reasonable solution. It has an SFP cage too, as I'm sure you know. Good Luck.

Thank you Markus.

Yes, a while back I had the ISP router in bridge mode and used a router of mine, but added complexity to troubleshoot network problems and eventually had the ISP upgrade the router and installed a switch and wired the house and has worked very well since.

I can certainly try the LPS on the ISP router.

I'm surprised nobody has opinions of

CAT6>eR SMPS>fiber>eR LPS1.2>CAT6>audio PC

vs.

CAT6>oM LPS>fiber>eR LPS1.2>CAT6>audio PC

6 hours ago, gionaz said:

today a new gear should arrive, the Melco S100 !!! Maybe if my sfp+ fiber optic system will work! (the network card on my PC should drop speed requests!)

I self-quote! with Melco S100 the level has risen so much that you can't believe it!

I will post later in Melco's 3ad

2 hours ago, MartinT said:

All SR fuses generally lose some edge and deepen and widen their soundstage with improvement in the presence region.

I have a mixture of Orange, Blue and Red in my system, all good in different ways.

I have an orange fuse on my farad which feeds my etherregen as soon as the farad is purchased.
I don't know if the farad without the sr Orange fuse sounds different, but I find without any poetry that the music is more spacious, open.
it's a good combo.

I have for a short week a KECES P8 on which I can change the fuse. However I do not know which one to put.

2 hours ago, PYP said:

There should be no shortage of opinions here so I offer the following.  ;)

I have a similar setup that combines those two:  CAT8>oM LPS>fiber>eR SMPS>cat8>eR LPS1.2>CAT7>DAC.

When I added the oM to the first eR in my system, the change was very good in that it helped solve a slight HF problem (didn't sound as natural as I like).  Then I added a second eR and that was a large change, much larger than adding the oM, but in the context of having already added the oM.  

With this experience, I would give priority to a second eR over an oM if I had to choose one, BUT I can't definitively say that without running an experiment that I'm unwilling to do and stating that every system is different, playing in different rooms and to different ears.  And, of course, the budget is different for the two options.  

Great input!!

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Ponkbutler said:

Is this compared to the EtherRegen? I much preferred the latter to the Melco, even with a very good external linear power supply.

unfortunately the other device (EtherRegen) I've never tried it !! are you saying that EtherRegen is better than the Melco S100?

I want to get the best external power supply for these essential gears for maximum sound quality!

I will ask Dissanayake Audio for a reference 12 volt power supply, I don't think it is possible to do better!

16 hours ago, MasterWarzombie said:

I have an orange fuse on my farad which feeds my etherregen as soon as the farad is purchased.
I don't know if the farad without the sr Orange fuse sounds different, but I find without any poetry that the music is more spacious, open.
it's a good combo.

I have for a short week a KECES P8 on which I can change the fuse. However I do not know which one to put.

can you please share your experience with the Keces 8 compared to the Farad... for me the Keces thickens the sound in the Bass and middle area compared to the Farad which sounds even on all levels bass middle highs....

2 hours ago, Mouna said:

can you please share your experience with the Keces 8 compared to the Farad... for me the Keces thickens the sound in the Bass and middle area compared to the Farad which sounds even on all levels bass middle highs....

My Keces power my Roon Nucleus Plus (19 V) and my Sotm streamer (9V) and my Farad (9V) feeds the etherregen. I have only tried to swap to make an objective comparison.
However, I would like to try FARAD on my streamer but I don't want to break my current listening quality.
All my elements are in place. I now want to enjoy the choices I have chosen.
My next upgrade will be to replace my Chord Qutest dac with a Chord Hugo TT2 to listen to music with headphones

28 minutes ago, MasterWarzombie said:

My Keces power my Roon Nucleus Plus (19 V) and my Sotm streamer (9V) and my Farad (9V) feeds the etherregen. I have only tried to swap to make an objective comparison.
However, I would like to try FARAD on my streamer but I don't want to break my current listening quality.
All my elements are in place. I now want to enjoy the choices I have chosen.
My next upgrade will be to replace my Chord Qutest dac with a Chord Hugo TT2 to listen to music with headphones

makes sense when everything is at its place and you enjoy - congratualtions

I'm just starting to research how to cost effectively integrate an optical connection from my router/booster to my Etherregen with LPS.  I'm thinking of getting the Sonore Optical Module Deluxe.   My current setup is: router/booster > Triode Wire Labs ethernet cable > Etherregen with SR4T LPS > Triode Wire Labs ethernet cable > Aurender N100H > Innous Phoenix USB reclocker > Holo May KTE.   I also have an After Dark OCXO clock for my ER but I haven't tried it because I'm waiting for my Paul Hynes SR4T LPS to power it to arrive next week.

If I get the OM Deluxe, do I need one or two transreceivers?  On the Sonore USA webpage, they sell the Finisar SystemOptique transreceiver for $70.  Is that a good one to start out with or are there better ones for a bit more?   They also sell Sonore branded optical cable for $50 for 1m.  Is that cable good or is there better optical cables for not too much more?   My end result expectation would be for better/smoother HF response.  Thanks for any help.

36 minutes ago, Stevem324 said:

If I get the OM Deluxe, do I need one or two transreceivers?

Two. One for oM. One for EtherRegen.

Is that a good one to start out with or are there better ones for a bit more?

This is multi mode. You may like to standardize on single mode. Yellow cable with blue connectors. The modules is more expensive. It’s something you have to decide. 

They also sell Sonore branded optical cable for $50 for 1m.

Stay away from it. There is no reason to pay 10 times more. 
Use money on good DC cables. (JSSG360).