IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

17 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

What is FBA?

"File Based Audio" ...

... as opposed to music "streamed" from the internet.

FBA is often associated with an internet-offline "streamer"

which shows you how muddy terminology can be.

afaik @Clockmeister has a bespoke FBA "streamer".

I use a computer.

I guess most EtherRegen users "stream" music from the internet - and appreciate the ER advantage in a particular way.

You were talking about "downloaded" (i.e. FBA) vs. "streamed directly".

I am greatly in favour of being internet-offline (and I don't download my music) ...

yet I am a great fan of the ER in my RedNet system.

Like Clockmeister I don't use SATA - strong preference for Optane - and music is my first love, not tech!

11 hours ago, Rsbrsvp said:

I have a mutec Ref10 SE-120 connected to my Etherregen and a superb Power supply.  It does help a lot.

Still, playing downloaded music from my SSD is better than streaming direct.

Why?  And is that download quality being effected by the switch, PS, and Mutec clock?

To bring even more variety to the discussion. For me, adding a Ref-10 as an external clock to the etherREGEN did not improve things. This surprised me because of the positive comments here of adding an external clock. I suspect this has to do with the up- and downstream components relative to ER in my system. Downstream: dCS Network Bridge and the Chord DAVE DAC. The dCS NB re-clocks the incoming signal again and it is also buffering. Upstream: Sonore opticalModule fed by LPS1.2. This unit also re-clocks to my knowledge.

Another difference from your observation: the difference between streaming and local file playback is negligible in my system since etherREGEN / opticalModule.

Question for others: did anyone hear improvements with a better than Ref-10 external clock in a system that already had etherREGEN / opticalModule? If so, which clock and what is downstream etherREGEN?

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

8 hours ago, skatbelt said:

To bring even more variety to the discussion. For me, adding a Ref-10 as an external clock to the etherREGEN did not improve things. This surprised me because of the positive comments here of adding an external clock. I suspect this has to do with the up- and downstream components relative to ER in my system. Downstream: dCS Network Bridge and the Chord DAVE DAC. The dCS NB re-clocks the incoming signal again and it is also buffering. Upstream: Sonore opticalModule fed by LPS1.2. This unit also re-clocks to my knowledge.

A

Some interesting observations Skatbelt, I have come across two situations in the last three years where a ref10 did not make a positive difference to a system. Both cases the system was in a much smaller listening area and the sound staging could not form correctly.

We have a few clients which use the same digital sources as your self, they all use a ref10, however they also use a an MC3+usb between the DCS & Dave, the MC3+usb can output a pcm reference world clock derived from the incoming sample rate (ie 44.1khz & 48Kz multiples) which is then fed back into the dcs (which has two clock inputs and you can use two outputs form the Mutec MC3+ one for each multiple)

This brings a double benefit of of having the PCM data stream reclocked, plus a work clock input to the DCS as well.

Also you can really improve this by using the Ref10 to slave the MC3+.

You are going to mention using two separate XLR pcm data streams into the Dave, however you maybe surprised by just one reclocked XLR input.

if you wished to be top draw then a pair of MC3+usb's would really take you up another level and then some.

One question though, are you using the DSP in the Lyndorf for room correction?

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

Areospace & Audio designs with a retail outlet Musical Coherence

There are so many different ways to configure a system.  In my case, using the ultraRendu, playing files uses OneDrive or Google Drive for the file store.  I do have a few files ripped from precious CDs that are not available on streaming services.

Therefore, FBA for me is indistinguishable from streaming as they both come down exactly the same playback chain.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

16 hours ago, Clockmeister said:

One question though, are you using the DSP in the Lyndorf for room correction?

Thank you for your extensive reply and suggestions. Yes, I do use Lyngdorf's roomperfect/DRC. It does a lot in my listening environment. It takes it to a really high level. However - and to rule out too much variables - the first critical assessments and comparisons are always with my headphone system.

I don't see the direct benefits of adding a MC3+ usb between dCS NB and DAVE. To output USB? I now use AES/EBU between dCS and DAVE and feel blessed that I have been able to drop USB as a protocol and connection type. Too brittle, too sensitive, too many dependencies in my experience.

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

On 4/27/2021 at 8:13 AM, skatbelt said:

Another difference from your observation: the difference between streaming and local file playback is negligible in my system since etherREGEN / opticalModule.

Question for others: did anyone hear improvements with a better than Ref-10 external clock in a system that already had etherREGEN / opticalModule? If so, which clock and what is downstream etherREGEN?

Thanks @skatbelt, could you describe what you heard when connecting the REF-10.  In particular,  if the image deteriorated , distortions or just no difference worthwhile. 

Pretty sure the ER BNC shell is floating,  so any ground would be referenced back to the clock. If the clock is also ungrounded, there could be a problem there.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

4 hours ago, One and a half said:

Thanks @skatbelt, could you describe what you heard when connecting the REF-10.  In particular,  if the image deteriorated , distortions or just no difference worthwhile. 

Pretty sure the ER BNC shell is floating,  so any ground would be referenced back to the clock. If the clock is also ungrounded, there could be a problem there.

In the ER the shell of the BNC jack is connected to the B side ground.

John S.

8 hours ago, One and a half said:

Hi Gary, just no difference noteworthy. To give an indication: 'rolling' SFP's made a bigger difference. I borrowed the REF-10 from a good friend and in his system it makes a positive difference. But he has the ER B-side directly connected to the ethernet input of his Lyngdorf TDAI-3400. 

23 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Hi Gary, just no difference noteworthy. To give an indication: 'rolling' SFP's made a bigger difference. I borrowed the REF-10 from a good friend and in his system it makes a positive difference. But he has the ER B-side directly connected to the ethernet input of his Lyngdorf TDAI-3400. 

It takes a few good days for the Ref10 to stabilize.

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

10 hours ago, Clockmeister said:

Our customer base has many full stack Dcs customers and every one has some Mutec products in benefitting their system usually the ref 10 slaving the Dcs Vivaldi clock or those who are really looking for top draw performance use two mc3+usb's one to clock each aes stream and slaved to an SE-120

What services do you provide for your customers?  Just curious!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

8 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

It takes a few good days for the Ref10 to stabilize.

I had it in my system for more than a week.

My provisional thought is that there is only so much that can be gained by cleaning up the incoming signal to the dCS Network Bridge. I can imagine as per @Clockmeister suggestions that there is further improvement possible between the dCS NB and DAVE but I don't see myself stacking two MC3+'s and a REF-10. I like to keep things simple. But I can imagine future system where one master clock references a switch, streamer and DAC.

If I remember correctly, 'the Uptones' also indicated that there would be little to gain with an external clock for the ER. Or did @Superdad and @JohnSwenson come back from that?

11 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

If I remember correctly, 'the Uptones' also indicated that there would be little to gain with an external clock for the ER. Or did @Superdad and @JohnSwenson come back from that?

Many folks, myself included, have found an external clock makes a significant contribution.  Please see the clock thread for more than anyone cares to read.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

4 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

If I remember correctly, 'the Uptones' also indicated that there would be little to gain with an external clock for the ER.

No, our stance has always just been that an upgraded clock and power supply are not required in order to enjoy the majority of the benefits of the EtherREGEN.

But producing the device with provision for those to be added allowed us to offer the basic (yet still VERY advanced!) switch at reasonable cost, and for those who wish to carry it further.

We could build a big EtherREGEN with state-of-the-art AC>DC power supply and top-end OCXO built in (plus other enhancements), but the price would then be several thousand. Not going there anytime soon... 9_9

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

We could build a big EtherREGEN with state-of-the-art AC>DC power supply and top-end OCXO built in (plus other enhancements), but the price would then be several thousand. Not going there anytime soon... 9_9

Many are wondering about your definition of soon.  ^_^  But this is just recognition of eR's contribution.    

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I’m not requesting a big or more advanced EtherRegen. Only SFP or SFP+ in and out, and one (or two) external clock input. If needed, dual power supply input. I guess a RJ45 in as well.

This only to have a version that can be used for endpoints or DAC’s with fiber input.

The B>A option isn’t as good as the A>B, when a external clock is used.