IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

30 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

One of the things I got confirmed to my satisfaction at RMAF 18 was more than a few people are asking to have MQA firmware removed from their DACs. 

As for Tidal the guy banging the table in Chris' seminar is upset at me for telling him Tidal is or was behind on taxes like payroll taxes to Norway, not paying royalties and not paying other bills. So I believe you about people asking for MQA on their hardware.

By all indications, Jay-Z is not doing a great job managing Tidal.  It would be hard to separate out management doing a poor job and gauging the impact of demand (or lack thereof) for Tidal Masters.  I don't believe they separate out the # of premium tier buyers do they?

1 minute ago, Rt66indierock said:

Charley was a friend and one argument we had was he wanted to hit MQA Ltd with everything we had. And I told him if you do that what happens if they get up off the mat? Answer you have nothing. The better way is keep a steady stream of negative information flowing. Then you get what happened at Chris' MQA seminar which was priceless. 

And personally I've been working toward your opinion hearing music in purist most natural form but I'm glad you said it first here.  Because while MQA Ltd. is questioning whether Archimago was a competitor they weren't doing their homework to sniff out actual competitors in high end audio space. PS there is one coming. They have asked me about MQA Ltd.'s financial reports.

I have reviewed the Zapruder version.  It was a reasonable discussion outside of Derek banging on the table.  The MQA guys were fine.

As for Charley, his comments were over the top and deeply personal at times.  A lot of people told me that they lost a lot of respect for him.  The idea that he desired the forum to "hit MQA with everything we had" seems over the top as well.

As for music in its purist form, Stuart and team are trying to correct for timing issues in ADCs post-mixing board.  Isn't that an approach for getting closer to what happened in the studio?

One reason that Peter McGrath is so enamored of his MQA-encoded recordings is that it gets him closer to the live event.  He hears more of the room, he feels the instruments sound more like what he heard.

There is more than one approach to get closer to the music Stephen.

1 minute ago, Rt66indierock said:

They do separate out the hi-fi tier when they report royalties. The numbers are very unimpressive less than 200,000 subscribers.

That's still good revenue: 200,000 x $20 per month x 12 months = $48mm in revenue per year.  And that's one streaming service.

What happens if Apple gets in and sells a million people on $15 a month for 12 months?  Maybe for a few dollars more, some will want better quality 16/44?

25 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

They have asked me about MQA Ltd.'s financial reports.

If they had to ask you about MQA’s financials, that doesn’t say much for their resources.  Perhaps they were just making conversation.

I’m personally very pleased with what I’ve experienced of Qobuz.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

As for music in its purist form, Stuart and team are trying to correct for timing issues in ADCs post-mixing board.  Isn't that an approach for getting closer to what happened in the studio?

A fair point if I believed that is all the technology was aiming to do. From MQA's marketing, most believe that it's not, and the way it sounds demonstrated that to us.

You're right, Charley was brash, and at times very personal. If he were in any other industry, he probably wouldn't have fit in very well.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

20 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

That's a very clever piece of misdirection by "Stuart and team."

Maybe MQA should hire the Russian Internet Research Agency.  I hear they are great at this kind of stuff.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

47 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

That's a very clever piece of misdirection by "Stuart and team."

For the vast majority of the MQA content available, the sound heard in the studio was recorded through non-MQA ADCs, The sound that was approved for release by the artists, producers and label reps was auditioned through non-MQA DACs. Changing that sound post-approval moves it further away from the sound approved for release.

As has been pointed out many times previously, making a music recording is a little like making sausages. You may like the result but you wouldn't like seeing them made so much. The raw sound as recorded is rarely as good as the processed sound that is released.

A few thoughts...

1.  The idea is to correct for any ADC based on MQA's analysis of the timing issues inherent in the ADC.  So the hardware is not required to be MQA.

2.  There is generally only one ADC needed post-mixing board so you correct that ADC and you are at the point the artist/producer wanted.

3.  Sometimes the album as originally recorded is quite good.  Examples include audiophile recordings, live to two track classical recordings, etc.