IGNORED

Everything sounds the same

mansr

12 minutes ago, firedog said:

And nothing I wrote contradicts your position. It makes no sense every time someone asks about cables to write the same endless arguments over and over again.It’s a topic that’s been beaten to death hundreds of times here.  That’s why I suggested Mansr, Sal, and others write a sticky thread with their position and simply refer people to it. Or set up a cable debate thread and debate it there. Refer newbies to it. No reason to continually hijckack multiple threads Into  the same argument. Especially when the OP in the other thread was obviously aware of the argument and specifically asked that his question not be turned into such a debate. 

Isn't the whole point of forums debate.

It may help here to look up the etymology of forum its had a quite definite meaning in the English language for a few years now.

Is it such a crime to sprout the endless arguments against the endless anecdotal evidence, and further looking round very few threads are polluted as many put it and most OT arguments quite often start with the regular vernacular accusation of being a troll, and hence the debate spirals down to the usual arguments and thus audio repreduction moves forward in skips and hops...?

3 hours ago, firedog said:

And nothing I wrote contradicts your position. It makes no sense every time someone asks about cables to write the same endless arguments over and over again.It’s a topic that’s been beaten to death hundreds of times here.  That’s why I suggested Mansr, Sal, and others write a sticky thread with their position and simply refer people to it. Or set up a cable debate thread and debate it there. Refer newbies to it. No reason to continually hijckack multiple threads Into  the same argument. Especially when the OP in the other thread was obviously aware of the argument and specifically asked that his question not be turned into such a debate. 

Good Idea, but it seems to me that these threads invariably take on a lifetime of their own, they wander off topic (not pointing any fingers, I'm as guilty as the next person on that account!) and it seems almost impossible to get them back on topic (until Chris shuts them down, of course). People talk about what they're passionate about, it seems and there are 4 or 5 subjects that this crew circles back to time and time again. I doin't see how we're going to stop it. Chris can't monitor every topic continually, shutting the topic down at the first incipient signs of a cable debate, or whatever raises people's passions.

George

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

Good Idea, but it seems to me that these threads invariably take on a lifetime of their own, they wander off topic (not pointing any fingers, I'm as guilty as the next person on that account!) and it seems almost impossible to get them back on topic (until Chris shuts them down, of course). People talk about what they're passionate about, it seems and there are 4 or 5 subjects that this crew circles back to time and time again. I doin't see how we're going to stop it. Chris can't monitor every topic continually, shutting the topic down at the first incipient signs of a cable debate, or whatever raises people's passions.

That is what makes forums such as these entertaining to many readers.  If every topic found common ground there would be nine posts no more than a couple of pages in length with some discussion and a final agreement that all would accept.  That site would die into obscurity.

There are certain groups of thought consisting of people that will never completely agree with one another on certain topics, but the occasional interjection can still be valuable and perhaps even educational to either side.  I believe we can police ourselves with a few exceptions that may require more stringent enforcement.   It would be a shame to see aggressive moderation eliminate any opportunity for a critical discourse.