IGNORED

Everything sounds the same

mansr

Just now, mansr said:

More importantly, it's fun.

For 50% of those engaged in those conversations.  I like to aim higher.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Wrong. The spread in the food is very different for the larger grains vs the smaller, no matter the total weight is equal.

Indeed you are no cook. Nobody cares. But of course you are telling the cook that you know better.

Good thread.

Now, we're arguing about SALT????!!!!

George

I've done some research and narrowed my choices to either Fleur de Sel de Guérande or Hawaiian Alaea Red Sea Salt. I can't try these before I buy and they're pretty high end, so I'm looking for your expertise in deciding. Please don't respond unless you've actually tried both at home. I don't care to hear any uninformed opinions. TIA.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

12 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

What,  no one replied to my query? This website is shit. I'm going over to Super Best Audio Jerks. Those guys know everything.

I can't say that I've tried either salt, but the French one is reassuringly expensive at $20 for 125g. I suspect they serve different purposes, and if you have a Hawaiian pig to roast, there will be no substitute for the red salt.

There doesn't seem to have been any discussion of suitable grinders yet. I use classic Peugeot 18cm Paris U Selects. Some say the salt can be directed with less angular error using the longer Paris models,  but I have yet to try the 25cm.

One pair of lovely salt and pepper grinders that might appeal to audiophiles are the Vipp ones. The sound of the grind is "Inspired by the significant sound of a Franz Jaeger safe" and I would love to hear it: 

https://vipp.com/en/products/salt-and-pepper

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

24 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

What,  no one replied to my query? This website is shit. I'm going over to Super Best Audio Jerks. Those guys know everything.

I didn't respond until now because I have a natural bias. I went to a high school with Hawaiian traditions other things Hawaiian in college and later and have used the Hawaiian Alaea Red Sea Salt regularly.

As for Fleur de Sel de Guérande I prefer the stuff from Vancouver Island sorry.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

That strikes me as an inefficient place to collect salt.

As an audiophile I'm always prepared to pay extra for the 'highest'.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

3 hours ago, Jud said:

For 50% of those engaged in those conversations.  I like to aim higher.

Abraham Lincoln Quotes. You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

9 minutes ago, mansr said:

That strikes me as an inefficient place to collect salt.

You wait for it to wash down to the coast and collect it there.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.