IGNORED

Jeff Dorgay & TONEAudio Declare War on CA

8 minutes ago, phototristan said:

This is not even the article in question...

Tristan, I'm sure you have wonderful expertise in many areas. Perhaps you're a photographer, given your username. You probably now Jeff is a photographer as well. Anyway, I can't recommend enough that we all stick to our areas of expertise if we're going to argue the technical details of something. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

hey want Chris to cut out the articles from each issue of the newspaper and just leave the headlines.  However, *with one mouse click*, they can deliver a newspaper to Chris with just the headlines.

This gets near to describing the different levels of effort necessary by Chris and anyone else to clean up this feed on the receiving end, versus Tone Audio making the entire problem go away with a click of the mouse.

Not really. Even if they change a setting, the full article would still remain on CA, and indexed as such on search engines. 

26 minutes ago, Jud said:

The stuff *that has already been sent in full form* could remain, or could be taken down if Tone Audio wanted to have a reasonable conversation and that is what both parties decide.  But why, on Tone Audio's side, continue to create the problem?  As I've pointed out, they are driving people away from their own website with the current configuration for anyone who bothers to use an RSS reader and pick up their feed.  So why wouldn't they wish to change just for that reason, irrespective of what anyone else does with their full text feed?

Also, as a consumer, I can tell you it's rather a PITA to have to look through full text in a feed.  Everyone's time is limited.  Give me a summary and a link (i.e., Tone Audio, click that button!).

It's still a choice. Unless I'm mistaken and someone is holding a gun to CA/Chris's head telling him - 'you must publish this article, in full, or else'. 

Just now, Jud said:

Is it more efficient for Chris and the hundreds or thousands of others who subscribe to this feed to painstakingly edit each article for themselves, or for someone at Tone Audio to click a mouse once and solve the problem forever?

I have a feeling it's going be the 12 people that subscribe to ToneAudios RSS feed. 

13 hours ago, plissken said:

I find idiots are generally idiots all the way through. It's their unerring ability to keep operating in the same manner but expecting different results. 

Indeed. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Hi,

From the wiki on RSS :

"This passing of content is called web syndication. Websites usually use RSS feeds to publish frequently updated information, such as blog entries, news headlines, audio, video. An RSS document (called "feed", "web feed",[3] or "channel") includes full or summarized text, and metadata, like publishing date and author's name. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS

So, the sender either sends the SUMMARY or FULL text. It seems ToneAudio are sending the FULL text.

Regards,

Shadders.

11 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Since you still don't get it. let me give you a simple example. You screw up in dealing with me. You can easily fix it in seconds. I can fix it too, but it would require a great deal of time and effort on my part. Query: Who should fix the problem?

Easy.  Perhaps the other guy doesn't know how to set his site, or set it incorrectly by accident. I wouldn't try to second-guess that especially when it's abundantly  clear he does not intend for the full content to be published. With that, it's clear what I would do to do the right thing. If I wanted to be a good citizen, I'd fix it on my site, or just delete it.  

Boom - problem solved. 

4 minutes ago, Allan F said:

The other guy has been told how to fix it and it's a very easy fix. All he has to do is follow what he was told if he really does not intend the full content to be published. If we are talking about good  citizens, why is the person responsible for the screw up threatening to call his lawyer? OTOH, perhaps he could ask his lawyer to help him fix it. :)

He could be totally incompetent for all I know. That's beside the point. If it's clear he does not want his stuff on my site, I'd simply remove it from my site rather than 'Nope, you left the keys in your car so it's mine now. I'm also putting an ad in the paper telling everybody"

1 minute ago, Rt66indierock said:

Since I am a good citizen I called the webmaster and left him a message that there was a problem with ToneAudio's RSS feed. I will give him specifics when he returns my call.  If he can't fix the problem I will be happy to fix it when I'm in Beaverton Oregon later this week and next week.

Boom - problem solved.  :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

1 minute ago, phototristan said:

He could be totally incompetent for all I know. That's beside the point. If it's clear he does not want his stuff on my site, I'd simply remove it from my site rather than 'Nope, you left the keys in your car so it's mine now"

If I put up a billboard by the road, is it reasonable of me to then demand that you look away or close your eyes every time you pass it?