IGNORED

Jeff Dorgay & TONEAudio Declare War on CA

1 minute ago, crenca said:

Is the Lavorgna scale linear or logarithmic?

Dyspeptic.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 7/16/2018 at 4:05 PM, Jud said:

Hi Beetle - so here's the critical thing you need to know to understand why what at first glance seems reasonable to you in fact isn't:

Tone Audio is delivering a free newspaper to a whole lot of people.  They want Chris to cut out the articles from each issue of the newspaper and just leave the headlines.  However, *with one mouse click*, they can deliver a newspaper to Chris with just the headlines.

This gets near to describing the different levels of effort necessary by Chris and anyone else to clean up this feed on the receiving end, versus Tone Audio making the entire problem go away with a click of the mouse.

Why does Chris need to wallpaper this guy's newspaper?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

19 minutes ago, semente said:

Why does Chris need to wallpaper this guy's newspaper?

He does not "need" to, but on several levels it is a good idea - a win/win not only to the publishers and their advertisers, but even to the consumer as well (at least on certain levels).  Even on the level "the industry" or "this hobby" or "Audiophiledom" it is if for no other reason that it is raw exposure.  All this is the reason RSS exists  - it is what it does.

All that said Audiophiledom is a very strange place where "win/win", expanding the market/hobby, and the like runs counter to basic cultural instincts.

In my business (yep I am actually working, or supposed to be, sitting in front of this computer all day ?) there are always a handful of doctors/practices that think like this.  They somehow convince themselves that they should get all the referrals for this or that from this or that doctor or institution.  They cause trouble for some - others like myself spend very little time/effort dealing with them and they soon learn not even to try.  Another example how "being nice" is not necessarily the best solution to every problem.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 minutes ago, phototristan said:

But he IS the audiophiliac. 

That tagline annoys the crap out of me, but at the same time I have to admit that it makes me smile every time I see him say it in a video, because it seems like he himself is not entirely comfortable with having to say it every time. So I find that endearing, despite myself. ?

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

Heck, he tried to say a web page stating the "jury is still out" on whether republishing RSS feeds is infringement of copyright made it "clear" that it *was* copyright infringement.  So no, not a very careful reader at all.  And not terribly ethical about bending others' words to fit his arguments.

CA did end up removing the ToneAudio feeds so you know, there's that. 

6 hours ago, tmtomh said:

Your response to @Jud strongly implies that you think CA's removal of Tone Audio's RSS feeds is evidence that your interpretation of the "jury is out" web article was correct. But it is not evidence of that.

To paraphrase Chief Dan George from Little Big Man, "Some days the logic works, some days it doesn't."

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

Speaking of not terribly ethical, there is also praising oneself while masquerading under a pseudonym, and this:

"I have nothing better to do for the rest of the day than to write letters to all the advertisers listed on your site....

Have a nice day ASSHOLE."

I do hope Chris banned him from further participation.

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Not able to see any evidence of that.  And really, at this point, why bother?  Giving him the opportunity to be read has let everyone get an idea of the person behind the words.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

15 minutes ago, phototristan said:

If a content source wants to get their content off this site, but still wants to have their RSS as it is, is there a formal way to make that request? Perhaps publish that to avoid this issue with other content creators in the future. 

I can understand that sometimes they may wish to stop ONLY  Forums etc. that they consider are hostile to their organisation.

However, in this case I see no evidence of this from this forum before the blow up.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

34 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I can understand that sometimes they may wish to stop ONLY  Forums etc. that they consider are hostile to their organisation.

However, in this case I see no evidence of this from this forum before the blow up.

It would also be quite stupid of a "hostile" forum to give you another outlet for every word you published through your RSS feed - indicating clearly this forum was not at all hostile.  What would have been hostile was precisely what was (with such hostility) demanded: Not publishing anything. 

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Here's the thing: they can't.

RSS is essentially a "pre-Google" technology. It is a way for a site to self-describe what the content of the site is. Google indexes sites without needing RSS. Google news aggregates news sites without needing RSS.

There's nothing to prevent someone from scraping a site's homepage and presenting a list of articles. There's nothing to prevent members of CA from reviewing articles, commenting on them and discussing them.

If Chris wants CA to be an audio news aggregator, he can do this whether or not each site publishes RSS.

So again, yeah you can technically copyright an RSS feed, and then demand that Chris not use the feed, but that's pretty stupid. As @Jud quotes: "you become what you fear". (is that Buddha or Nietzsche?)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I believe it is absolute non-sense.  If I were Chris, I would not drag on with this matter to allow CA to be a free advertising website for ToneAudio.  I am quite sure they want to keep private and unknown.  I have never heard of it until this thread.

Why bother to spend time reasoning with unreasonable people who want to be well known but at the same time do not want publicity.

MetalNuts

13 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

For the health of the industry it is not a good idea to listen to Jeff.

Keep the picture of sheep.

LOL..I do not know Jeff. I am familiar with ToneAudio pdf magazine. I will search their reviews as part of my search for info when I am making a purchase.  Yes, Jeff handled the email IMO wrong. However, Chris showed the typical "safe space" mentality of the world we live in. I don't get what I want........I'll post the video, send me a mean email....I'll post it online. At the end of the day, Jeff won this round. Jeff won it hands down. I'm going to guess ToneAudio's readership is probably more analog audio lovers and more likely to look at Hoffman or Audiogon forums.  

It's funny, some of the responses on this thread deal with "Jeff's expensive cars, etc". Amazing how much envy brews hate.