IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I originally liked MQA because I thought it had the chance of getting the labels to remaster more content that would otherwise be left collecting dust.

Are there actually albums that have become available as MQA that are not available as high res as well?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

13 minutes ago, rickca said:

Are there actually albums that have become available as MQA that are not available as high res as well?

Ah yes, the MQA album (vinyl) https://www.stereophile.com/content/recording-april-2018-fairytales-original-master-edition-mqa

Oh wait, not that type of album. I'm unsure of the answer to your question but if I had to guess based on my experience I'd say there isn't an album available in MQA only that wasn't intentionally pulled form the market like the 2L stuff. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

12 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

@The Computer Audiophile With regard to SACD, Sony gave "white glove" treatment to 54 RCA Living Stereo releases on Hybrid SACD.  There were supposedly plans to continue the series, but sales were inadequate or whoever at Sony loved classical music died or otherwise moved on, or it was a casualty of the Sony-Toshiba War for HD Video.  I think the last batch of titles in the Living Stereo SACD project were released in late 2006, so it's likely that Sony decided to divert funds from that project to help bankroll the push for Blu-ray over Toshiba's HD DVD.  I don't believe any other older (originally analogue) recordings from any other labels received any special treatment, but since SACD was a Sony format, it made sense for them to use their most prestigious back-catalogue items to promote it.

Of course, other labels used the format to release completely new recordings, with the benefit of multichannel.  Most are Hybrid SACD, so the benefits of superior mastering translate to better than average quality sonics on the CD layer, which owners could rip to hard drives just like any regular CD.  So there's that haha  Of course every collector of SACDs is aware that not all were pure DSD on the digital end, many or most were converted from some form of PCM.

At any rate, I personally wouldn't compare Sony to MQA, as Sony has at least provided some actual value to music lovers through the decades with technology, music, and audio equipment.  MQA has provided nothing but empty promises (white glove, documenting and analyzing the original equipment chain and applying individualized corrections, etc.) and dishonest realities.

Thanks for the comments. I don't disagree and I shouldn't have made it seem like I equate SACD to MQA. I believe there are many similarities in how it turned out and how many unscrupulous grifters converted content into SACDs that had no business being on SACDs (all the 44.1 PCM conversions). 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, rickca said:

Lemonade by Beyoncé is available in MQA on Tidal. As far as I know, the only lossless releases are on CD and 16/44 FLAC, also on Tidal.

I seem to remember Icky Thump being available in MQA as well, but it isn't currently available so maybe I'm mistaken. It has never had a hi-res release AFAIK.

ETA: Looks like I remember correctly, but it has been removed. Also looks like the MQA was based on the redbook master anyway. https://community.roonlabs.com/t/tidal-master-mqa-icky-thump-album-not-24bit/24010

22 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Your tinnitus may be impacting the frequency range but recent research suggests we hear timing distortions down to 5 microseconds well into our 70s.  Maybe you are doing okay on hearing the timing elements.

5 µs, so still well within the limits of what RBCD is capable of.

9 minutes ago, randyhat said:

Better idea...just listen to some music.  Forget for awhile about this pissing match, MQA, Hi-Res, charts and graphs....and enjoy listening to music and forget about bashing anything.

I didn't listen when many asked please stop and give it a year. Andy Quint asked for even more time. My late friend Charlie Hansen wanted to hit MQA with everything we got in 2017. I disagreed and said we are going to keep the pressure on MQA and see what breaks. And I want it crystal clear to anyone considering streaming MQA that there will be bad publicity at their launch.

PS I've been listening to a lot music as well.

21 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Better idea...just listen to some DRM.  Forget for awhile about consumer protection, artistic integrity, MQA, Hi-Res, charts and graphs....and enjoy listening to the money pouring out of your pockets and forget about bashing anything.

Whatever give you joy.