IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I think you mean "although you can install firmware that doesn't do MQA" .  I have an iDSD Micro and a couple of iDAC2s.  Indeed, the MQA-enabled firmware kills the ability for DoP256 and that has been fairly well documented.  But the iDSD Pro is a different beast and to my knowledge, there is no way to apply non-MQA firmware or otherwise disable MQA functionality.

My understanding is that on the iDSD pro iFi is one of the only manufacturers that has implemented MQA separately from non MQA. In other words, only MQA files are sent to the MQA filters. Regular PCM isn't. So there is only MQA functionality if you playback MQA.

AFAIK, dCS is the only other company to do this.

iFi said they spent considerable man hours building this functionality (software coding) into the DAC. It is only implemented in the iDSD Pro. With their other DACs your only choice for non MQA is to load the pre MQA firmware.
At least iFi is giving us a choice - the other manufacturers aren't.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Please continue the DSD discussion here, if you so choose. 

Thanks to @mansr and @The Computer Audiophile for cleaning up this thread.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I should have stayed because it would have been good for me to ask questions? That's laughable. I had Bob calling my mobile phone and I had direct access to anyone on that team in the months and years leading up to the presentation. They had nothing to say that I hadn't heard in the past. 

I'm still waiting for your evidence of my biased presentation and evidence of where I was "called out."

Keep twisting my comments about money Lee. I hear there may be an opening for the MQA Press Secretary. 

Chris, link to a copy of your slide deck and I will point out areas I felt were biased.

33 minutes ago, firedog said:

My understanding is that on the iDSD pro iFi is one of the only manufacturers that has implemented MQA separately from non MQA. In other words, only MQA files are sent to the MQA filters. Regular PCM isn't. So there is only MQA functionality if you playback MQA.

AFAIK, dCS is the only other company to do this.

iFi said they spent considerable man hours building this functionality (software coding) into the DAC. It is only implemented in the iDSD Pro. With their other DACs your only choice for non MQA is to load the pre MQA firmware.
At least iFi is giving us a choice - the other manufacturers aren't.

Does the MQA firmware remove the ability to do DSD512 on the ifi Pro as well (as my iFi micro-iDSD)?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

44 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I mostly agree, but purchasers of the iDSD Pro aren't given the choice to decline the MQA licensing fee.

Thats true, and I can't help but wonder how much that licensing fee, along with all of the associated long man hours iFi spent in implementing MQA caused the retail price of the iDSD Pro to skyrocket from an initially estimated $1,500, to the eventual $2,500 msrp.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

43 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Thats true, and I can't help but wonder how much that licensing fee, along with all of the associated long man hours iFi spent in implementing MQA caused the retail price of the iDSD Pro to skyrocket from an initially estimated $1,500, to the eventual $2,500 msrp.

Doubt it was a big part of it. They kept reworking it as  they were designing it. At one point I think they showed a prototype and then developed something with a whole additional  set of features.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

1 minute ago, firedog said:

It's not MQA firmware, there is only one firmware. And the answer is no. In fact it has a setting for upsampling internally to DSD 1024 and will accept DSD 1024.

So there must be more storage space for the firmware in the iDSD Pro then, since I'm assuming space limitation is the reason they can't keep both DSD512 and MQA capability in the firmware for the micro-iDSD.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, firedog said:

It's not MQA firmware, there is only one firmware. And the answer is no. In fact it has a setting for upsampling internally to DSD 1024 and will accept DSD 1024.

Firedog, do you have the unit and if so have you done a review?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Just now, crenca said:

Firedog, do you have the unit and if so have you done a review?

Nope. Just have read about it here and other places.  The sponsored forum here has quite a big thread about it.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

So there must be more storage space for the firmware in the iDSD Pro then, since I'm assuming space limitation is the reason they can't keep both DSD512 and MQA capability in the firmware for the micro-iDSD.

Well on my DSD iOne NANO if you use the MQA firmware you lose the SPDIF output (USB to SPDIF converter). When I asked them why, they said the number of functions they could run on  8 cores was limited and they decided that having a firmware with MQA meant they had to eliminate something else. I don't remember exactly how they phrased it, but they said this is a common problem on their smaller devices.
They also said that they could have left the SPDIF out as part of the package, but that would mean the MQA would be limited to first unfold. And that can be done externally anyway in software, so what would be the point?

Just one of the reasons I bought it and downgraded to the non-MQA version. I was only really interested in it for the package of functions (also does DSD and is a BT receiver).

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Yeah, after Chris was rudely and repeatedly interrupted, false and irrelevant accusations were repeatedly made, and he was basically the victim of a "denial of service" attack during his own presentation - yeah, he should have stuck around.
I've yet to find anyone who isn't an MQA person or a known MQA apologist/fanboy who doesn't think that the reaction to Chris' presentation was any other than extremely rude and unprofessional.

Firedog, with all due respect, you weren't there and I was.  It was pretty civil outside of Derek's desk pounding.  The discussion after Chris left was pretty good.  You should watch the extended video so you get the tone of the whole event.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

People can have good discussions anywhere. You could have them here if you were willing to engage and admit you might have got something wrong once in awhile.

But the fact that you thought the good discussion was only possible after Chris was done with his oft-interrupted "biased" presentation makes me think you were after reinforcement of what you already thought, rather than a genuine interchange of ideas.

You are misleading here. I did not imply that good discussion was not possible with Chris in the room.