Here's something that may appeal to a wide group: Charles Brown. He was active for a long time. Was very popular in the 40s. Big influence on Ray Charles, for example. One of his later albums I particularly like is "Just A Lucky So And So":

- relaxed but groovy atmosphere (as always with him) 

- fine players in fine sound

- good song selection

Enjoy! 

Not an album, but a promotional video for her Break Every Rule album tour, this is truly fabulous - we have a dodgy VHS copy of it; and I've just learned there is no DVD of the effort - outrageous!!! 🤪

My favourite track on it,

The CD of Break Every Rule is a big favourite of mine - powerhouse energy, huge production - on a system that can do it credit, it doesn't get better as a musical ride ...

Conducting Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony is flabby and inept, as has become customary since the ascent of the new chief conductor. The image of an unevenly chopped, unpainted fence on the cover is quite consistent with the interpretation. The sound of the instruments is beautiful, despite everything, this is still Berliner Philharmoniker, baby.

IMG_2627.thumb.jpg.e29ba00ba013b6dfc660c807bd081c23.jpg

On 10/10/2020 at 1:36 AM, jiminlogansquare said:

This is one of my favorite albums of all time. Perfect and unique.

7F320FCA-3D16-4C68-A0CB-3ECF61B3A56D.thumb.jpeg.564b13f4ee733ccd8cbda3775550aa3f.jpeg

Great to see a Carmen McRae fan here. She is maybe the best ballad singer in history.

There is a great interview with former band member drummer Joey Baron here.

He talks about his own career but goes into great detail about his time in her band.

https://pabloheldinvestigates.com/joey-baron/

I’ve listened to lots of Monk, from his original recordings to interpretations from the likes of Fred Hersch, Lynne Arriale, Vijay Iyer and more. Carmen McRae sings Monk, but it’s more like a suite of horn solos. The addition of lyrics—these lyrics-- augments the spirit of the underlying notes and phrases, and Carmen further transforms it all, keeping it within the world of Monk while building bridges to make that world more accessible. And maybe now, when I hear a Monk tune, I will more readily recognize not only the composer but the tune itself—I now have words, and stories, to connect the musical dots.

On 10/22/2020 at 9:09 AM, AnotherSpin said:

As you may know, the After The Fall album contains the first recording made after several years of Jarret's hiatus caused by chronic fatigue syndrome. Strangely, it was released just as Jarrett was suffering the consequences of a stroke, as we know now... 

Such tragic news.

24 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

Melody Gardot Sunset in the Blue AIFF 24/96. Lovely.

image.jpeg.00e78ed7d8b8bde4428839b6a0850981.jpeg

I have started to appreciate Melody Gardot more on her later albums. Her singing style has a certain sameness to it but on the later albums the songs fits that way of singing better imo as on the album mentioned here.