Not an awful song, depends on who does it and the arrangement. Done by Lawrence Welk, awful. I enjoyed this version. It seems to be making it on set lists.  Tierney Sutton covered it on her last release. I am old enough to remember when it was a hit. Andy Williams, yuck.  I also hated Feelings as a kid. Hated it. My Dad’s band had to cover it back in the day. Man, did he hate playing it or hearing it. But, when I played the Monty Alexander cover on Montreux Alexander, he saw it in a whole new light and enjoyed it. Me too. 

7 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Listened to the new Melody Gardot myself, thanks for letting me know. Why do people sing Moon River? Am I the only person that doesn't think it's worth singing and an awful song?

You may at least be one of the few that feel that way, and, hey, nothing works for everyone. But Moon River is generally considered an American standard. And again, it depends on who is singing it. The song itself isn't responsible for bad performances. I too like the Melody Gardot version.

But did Lawrence Welk EVER perform a good version of ANYTHING? My grandparents, who I used to be with a fair bit of the time just loved that show when I was a little kid. God I hated it! How did he ever make it onto tv? 

JC

On 10/23/2020 at 9:51 PM, AudioDoctor said:

Listened to the new Melody Gardot myself, thanks for letting me know. Why do people sing Moon River? Am I the only person that doesn't think it's worth singing and an awful song?

I’m outing myself here as a big fan of the song. It makes me sentimental every time I hear it. 

Maybe it is related to memories of me and my wife watching Breakfast at Tiffany’s together on our first NYC trip. 

Or maybe it is just because I have a secret Mancini weakness. 

There’s no point arguing about taste, but I’m a bit surprised you hate it that much. Do you realize it even won an Academy Award AND two Grammys? (Not that that says much about quality). 

Breaking the thread rules..

Yesterday I simply swallowed my home workout like a sweet pill while this was playing (24-96):

Tool - Undertow - dutchcharts.nl

To make things easier - the back cover..

Undertow | Avant-Rock-Jazz-Punk-Classical-Metal

Today - first listen (I'm afraid 'Khmer' and maybe 'Baboon Moon will remain my NPM's favorites, none contains 'Moon River'..). Basically - lots of 'ethnic' rhythms plus NPM's lyrical trumpet (24-96)

Mino Cinelu and Nils Petter Molvaer: SulaMadiana - album review