13 hours ago, Daccord said:

Bought this from prestomusic.com as a FLAC download:

image.png.9bb13a6b568c8e54b9f2e7fa09486a30.png

Love the music and performance, but none of the tracks were tagged. It's 24/48, and it cost C$21.75. It's only C$14.49 on ca.7digital.com, but it doesn't come with the booklet and their file is apparently 24/96. The cost on the Linn site is C$24 but the resolution is listed as "Studio master FLAC". I told Prestomusic I'm not going to buy untagged music again, and they haven't responded yet. I don't trust 7digital due to the missing booklet and probable upsampled file.

Quoting myself because I don't know how to edit an existing post in this thread. Presto sent me a new link with properly tagged files. However, one of the tags was "Comment: Processed by SoX". I've asked them if this means the files have been resampled.

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

This album really sounds great, and the music is good too!

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

49 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Not if you consider that some people listen to horrible awful music simply because its well recorded...

Sorry, but I'm confused. I know they do and that was my point. As I read it, your post places sound quality before good music. Shouldn't it be, "This album is good music and it really sounds great too!"?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

36 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Not if you consider that some people listen to horrible awful music simply because its well recorded...

Beyond the "horrible awful" stuff, there is a long history of even more people listening to really well recorded music that is mediocre, or of a style they would never listen to otherwise. It allows them to feel better about all the money they spent putting together the system.

There are some labels that exist because their music is so well recorded, but features artists no one has ever heard of, playing music no one ever needs to hear. 

JC

11 hours ago, Daccord said:

Quoting myself because I don't know how to edit an existing post in this thread. Presto sent me a new link with properly tagged files. However, one of the tags was "Comment: Processed by SoX". I've asked them if this means the files have been resampled.

I just checked a couple of downloads from the Alpha label which I bought from Presto, and the same comment appears.

So, it would appear that the label is resampling the CD quality files to sell up-rezed versions.

i also have other hi-Rez downloads from Presto, Sony and Hyperion, which do not have such comment.

Software: HQPlayer | JRiver | Fidelizer Pro | Roon | Qobuz

Music Server: i7 6700K (Windows 10) | DAC: T+A DAC8 DSD, Marantz SA 14S-1, Schitt Yggdrasil | Preamp: DIY AMB alpha24 Fully-differential line amp | Amp: DIY M3 Balanced or DIY Tube Amp (2A3-300B) | Headphone: Shure SRH-1840, Audeze LCD-X, AKG K-501, Sennheiser HD600, HD800 | Speakers: Klipsch Heresey III

10 minutes ago, Argopo said:

I just checked a couple of downloads from the Alpha label which I bought from Presto, and the same comment appears.

So, it would appear that the label is resampling the CD quality files to sell up-rezed versions.

i also have other hi-Rez downloads from Presto, Sony and Hyperion, which do not have such comment.

Lossless Audio Checker shows both albums I purchased from Presto were upsampled. I'll never buy from them again.

45 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Sorry, but I'm confused. I know they do and that was my point. As I read it, your post places sound quality before good music. Shouldn't it be, "This album is good music and it really sounds great too!"?

I was attempting a bit of humor... I guess i'll keep my day job and not try to start another career as a comic...

No electron left behind.

44 minutes ago, Daccord said:

Lossless Audio Checker shows both albums I purchased from Presto were upsampled. I'll never buy from them again.

I'm getting off topic in this thread, but I downloaded Lossless Audio Checker, and ran the files i downloaded from Presto and also recent hi-res Qobuz files. They all tested "clean."

I had three files from Presto, two 24/192 and one 24/96 (Alpha); and one 24/96 (Sony). Still bothered by the tagged comment in the Alpha files.

1850062712_Screenshot2020-10-29003824.thumb.png.a3cd9fcce4ffa5d25c0ed7b3984a0b67.png

Software: HQPlayer | JRiver | Fidelizer Pro | Roon | Qobuz

Music Server: i7 6700K (Windows 10) | DAC: T+A DAC8 DSD, Marantz SA 14S-1, Schitt Yggdrasil | Preamp: DIY AMB alpha24 Fully-differential line amp | Amp: DIY M3 Balanced or DIY Tube Amp (2A3-300B) | Headphone: Shure SRH-1840, Audeze LCD-X, AKG K-501, Sennheiser HD600, HD800 | Speakers: Klipsch Heresey III

11 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

It may make sense to take into account that the vast majority of today's music is horrible awful. And it has been recorded terribly as well.

If the vast majority of today's music actually sounds horrible awful, something may not be 100% right with the balance of your audio system.

Just saying..

2 hours ago, Summit said:

If the vast majority of today's music actually sounds horrible awful, something may not be 100% right with the balance of your audio system.

Just saying..

Have you heard about loudness war? As far as I know, this applies to virtually all popular music recordings and to many mainstream jazz recordings, for example. Of course there are companies with high sound quality standards such as ECM or BIS what doesn't make it an influential trend at all. What does this have to do with my audio system?