IGNORED

UpTone EtherRegen measured. It's a switch.

21 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

cancel culture 

if you want to see a real cancel culture then go look at the Amir Hate Thread - it is supposed to be listening impressions.

You also did NOT answer my question.

If you are biased in favor of your advertisers, your site is nothing but an ad itself.

From Amir's review:

"So I started with my generic switch connection and started to stream some of my reference quality content. While the music was playing, I switched Ethernet cables, this time having Port B of EtherRegen feeding the Matrix i. There was absolutely no audible difference. I then switched back to generic switch feed. No difference. I switched back to EtherRegen. No difference. None. Nothing."

If I am following correctly, Amir's subjective listening evaluation was sighted.

If we can agree there is a theoretical possibility that not all sonic aspects we can perceive with our hearing can be measured with Amir's equipment, then in such case, wouldn't Amir's review be more complete and valid if he sent the ER to an unbiased group to perform unsighted, controlled listening tests, then add those results to his review?   image.gif.0e4bc8fb963c75afdb56e89e697f0347.gif

If Amir is telling his readers the ER does nothing, it seems to me, without doing the controlled listening test with independent, unbiased listeners, then his conclusion should, at a minimum, be taken with a grain of salt. 

Caveat: I don't read/follow ASR, so apologies if I am mistaken on Amir's testing methodologies.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

Absent evidence of flaws in his test setup or other measurements showing a different outcome, taking Amir's results at face value is the unbiased thing to do. Dismissing measurements solely because of who published them is the very definition of bias, and you are the one guilty of it.

Everyone has bias. Accepting anything on blind faith is a recipe for disaster. 

If you don't see flaws, it shouldn't then follow that there aren't any and that the conclusions are 100% valid. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

40 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

OMG, I guess I need to look at this. He tested a DAC without Ethernet input, to test the effects, if any, of an Ethernet "regen?" Please tell me how this makes any sense. 

Here is the product page for the EtherRegen. You show us where it's only intended purpose is for a Streamer and not a head end computer feeding a DAC over USB.

Here is what I'm refering to:

"  Across the ADIM, at the other end of the EtherREGEN, is a single 100Mbps copper Ethernet port. This is the ‘B’-side port. Attach the computer/streamer/renderer endpoint that is directly connected to your DAC*to the ‘B’-side Ethernet port with a copper Ethernet cable. "

That's how i made sense of it. But then again that's just me.

Lets take your OMG one step further: You have a class of device in mind. Which one would you like tested?  How about something like a $100 or $200 Roku. You know something that most likely has the cheapest, bean counter, ethernet implementation known to mankind.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Everyone has bias. Accepting anything on blind faith is a recipe for disaster. 

Who said anything about blind faith?

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If you don't see flaws, it shouldn't then follow that there aren't any and that the conclusions are 100% valid. 

If I don't see flaws, it's possible I've overlooked something. If nobody can point out any concrete flaws (hand-waving doesn't count), the methodology was in all likelihood reasonably good. That is the situation here. Tell me what was wrong with the procedure, or show me someone who can.

3 minutes ago, nbpf said:

I finally checked the "Audio Science Review" web page and I have to agree with those that find the tone and the style of the review unacceptable.  

That said, I do not see anything obviously wrong in the methodology and in the measurements and the bad style of the review does not justify dismissing its findings.

In other words, valid objections to the results presented in "Audio Science Review" should be based on logical arguments or on facts or measurements that invalidate the ones presented in the review or that demonstrate their irrelevance, not on arguments of fairness, style or good taste. So far, I do not think that I have come across any such valid objections in this thread. Am I missing something obvious?

well put

29 minutes ago, Blake said:

If Amir is telling his readers the ER does nothing, it seems to me, without doing the controlled listening test with independent, unbiased listeners, then his conclusion should, at a minimum, be taken with a grain of salt. 

If the ER does something, it seems to me, without doing the controlled listening test with independent, unbiased listeners, then their claim should, at a minimum, be taken with a grain of salt. 

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wow. I wrongly assumed that the testing methodology used an Ethernet cable from the ER straight to a DAC's Ethernet input. Placing a computer in between the ER and the DAC seems to me to be crazy, if one wants to isolate variables. I would never make a conclusion based on this information. 

it's UpTones own marketing speak Chris! How can you be so obtuse?!

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I hadn't read that bolded information about the ER. Interesting. However, don't you think someone running a test of a device would want to eliminate as many variable as possible.

Sauce that is good on goose is equally good on gander.

Thanks for the admission that you have been making talking points without any real research of what I and some others are actually talking about.

You can't back-peddle that a computer is a variable to eliminate when it's one of the variables the ER is supposed to correct for. It's a variable to test, not to eliminate.

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's correct. But, by the same argument, it also doesn't follow that there are some flaws, does it? You are certainly right in pointing out the potential danger of blindly accepting the results of measurements or of other empirical investigations like listening tests. But your posts strongly suggest that you believe that the results presented in "Audio Science Review" are flawed or irrelevant. If this is the case, why don't you explain why do you believe so? What do you think is actually wrong with those results?