IGNORED

UpTone EtherRegen measured. It's a switch.

16 minutes ago, Blake said:

Absolutely, I have no problem with your post.  The claims of any company selling anything should be taken with a grain of salt, unless scientifically validated using sufficient testing.

Absolutely.

3 minutes ago, nbpf said:

That's correct. But, by the same argument, it also doesn't follow that there are some flaws, does it? You are certainly right in pointing out the potential danger of blindly accepting the results of measurements or of other empirical investigations like listening tests. But your posts strongly suggest that you believe that the results presented in "Audio Science Review" are flawed or irrelevant. If this is the case, why don't you explain why do you believe so? What do you think is actually wrong with those results? 

I think you cut off my quote a bit early. I said it doesn't make me right or wrong. I agree with you.

Based on a history of incorrect tests, especially with products designed by John Swenson, and a clear bias against a few companies, and a clear hidden agenda favoring other companies (Berkeley, MQA), and the fact that this test used the most convoluted signal path imaginable (when a much more simple one with less variables could've also been tested), and the fact that wide-ranging conclusions were drawn from very narrow "evidence," I'm incredibly skeptical.

If this test was rigorous and the conclusions followed from the evidence, I'd be totally onboard.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, thumb5 said:

@The Computer Audiophile As I read it, the main test was performed with a Matrix streaming DAC using the Ethernet input, so the ER was connected directly to the DAC.  The Modi 2 result was an additional data point later in the report.

The second data point is very convoluted.

Does anyone know which Ethernet card is in the Matrix DAC and how it handles incoming data?

Would be actually helpful to say "these results are valid with card XYZ, but the results were a bit different using card ABC." Only if this is true. But, based on one small slice of data people have decided Alex should be out of business. Great logic people. Not directed at you @thumb5, thanks for the info.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

and the fact that this test used the most convoluted signal path imaginable

He went from Switch to Streamer. How's that convoluted?

I don't know about everyone here but my home network needs cannot be a router to a 5 port switch.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

In the UpTone sponsored forum you can find them stating that having a general purpose computer between ER and DAC is not an optimal configuration.

So the online forum is to trump their product page?

One you have to sift through pages and pages and one it's right there. Jud that's a stretch.

25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

For the most part yes. I have an issue with conclusions made from the measurements. I'm willing to give ASR the benefit of the doubt that those are the measurement Amir came up with. I'm not willing to believe the procedure isn't flawed like some of his other measurements. I just don't have the skills, time, and equipment to refute it. This doesn't make me wrong and it doesn't make me right. What it does for me is cause me to be very cautious about making conclusions based on anything from ASR. 

It is true that the language and, up to a certain extent, the results shown on ASR (not only for the EtherREGEN) do not inspire much trust. But this does not imply that they are flawed. The tests also seem quite straightforward and not very different from those that can be found on other sites. Assuming honesty and accuracy, I do not see obvious flaws in the methodology. If there are obvious ones, I expect UpTone Audio to point out such flaws and to provide more rigorous or more relevant measurements. So far, this has not happened. 

1 minute ago, plissken said:

I don't know about everyone here but my home network needs cannot be a router to a 5 port switch.

I don't recall anyone saying the ER and a single router could meet everybody's entire home network needs, so I'm guessing UpTone is comfortable not serving the segment of the market that would require it. 🙂

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.