IGNORED

UpTone EtherRegen measured. It's a switch.

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

From reading this thread (and similar ones) all I can glean is that Amir made some measurements, concluded that the ER is no different from a less expensive model and therefore those who try it and say it makes a noticeable difference are being fooled or are imagining the improvement.  
Not very scientific and full of bias and presumption. 

Sorry, but which part of the posted measurements is biased and presumptuous?

1 minute ago, opus101 said:

I don't have a view on what he should have done without knowing his intention. If I were the one testing the ER I'd not be using an AP on the output of an attached DAC, perhaps an SA (spectrum analyser) with tracking generator would be a starting point.

How is attaching an AP to an audio output of a device the wrong thing to do (or presumptuous, as you stated), since that's exactly how it's designed to be used?

Just now, pkane2001 said:

How is attaching an AP to an audio output of a device the wrong thing to do (or presumptuous, as you stated), since that's exactly how it's designed to be used?

Sorry, I can't follow you here - in particular the 'exactly how....used?' part. You're saying the AP is designed to be used like this? Yes an AP is designed to test DACs (amongst other things). Or is the 'it' referring to the ER? In which case yes the ER is designed to connect to a DAC but not designed to connect to a DAC solely connected to an AP, rather a DAC going on to an amp or pre-amp then amp. System details do matter and Amir's system wasn't representative of a typical use case.

4 minutes ago, opus101 said:

Sorry, I can't follow you here - in particular the 'exactly how....used?' part. You're saying the AP is designed to be used like this? Yes an AP is designed to test DACs (amongst other things). Or is the 'it' referring to the ER? In which case yes the ER is designed to connect to a DAC but not designed to connect to a DAC solely connected to an AP, rather a DAC going on to an amp or pre-amp then amp. System details do matter and Amir's system wasn't representative of a typical use case.

So are you saying that without having a preamp, amp, speakers in the circuit the effect of ER cannot be detected? 

Just now, pkane2001 said:

So are you saying that without having a preamp, amp, speakers in the circuit the result of ER cannot be detected? 

Did you see me mention speakers? If the desire is to see if the ER reduces common-mode noise, then certainly merely connecting it to an AP won't suffice. As I mentioned I don't know Amir's intention - if he wanted a test to show no difference then he chose an appropriate one. If he wanted to test ER's isolation then he would have come up with some way to see if there was a reduction in CM noise in a typical system. An AP does not pass muster as a typical system.

4 minutes ago, opus101 said:

the ER is designed to connect to a DAC but not designed to connect to a DAC solely connected to an AP, rather a DAC going on to an amp or pre-amp then amp. System details do matter and Amir's system wasn't representative of a typical use case.

If the DAC output is different depending on whether or not it's connected to an amp or pre-amp, isn't that a fault of the DAC and orthogonal to whether or not the ER does anything - or have I missed something?

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I didn't, but I inferred that you may want to include speakers, as they are part of a "typical system" :)

Speakers are normally passive devices with no mains power connection so I purposely left them out. If active speakers though they should be included in a test system.

14 minutes ago, thumb5 said:

If the DAC output is different depending on whether or not it's connected to an amp or pre-amp, isn't that a fault of the DAC and orthogonal to whether or not the ER does anything - or have I missed something?

A DAC's output can be quite different depending on what its connected to. By 'output' though I don't just mean its normal mode (signal) output (that likely won't change) but its common mode output, which will vary according to the common mode impedance presented to its output terminals. This isn't any fault of the DAC itself.