IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Is there really anything meaningful left to say that hasn't already been said in this 87 page thread ?

Yes I think so. If for no other reason than to have fresh time stamped posts for search engines to lock onto. There are few other places where the truth of MQA can be found and personally I'd like this thread/site to be near the top of the list when folks search for MQA info.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

39 minutes ago, Sal1950 said:

Yes I think so. If for no other reason than to have fresh time stamped posts for search engines to lock onto.

O.K. That's a good reason.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 hours ago, shadowlight said:

Let's see if I can try to get the thread back on track.

Have you tried Qobuz and what is your opinion compared to same track/master with Qobuz and MQA?

I have a trial subscription to Qobuz and used to have Tidal but got tired of the constant bombardment of music that I was not interested in from Tidal promotion, so no chance of comparing the two.

I like Qobuz however I feel Tidal sounds slightly better.  The reason for this, I believe, is that I can play Tidal via Roon which seems to make things more clear.  Therefore I believe no valid comparison is possible yet.  Qobuz should be available via Roon soon.

I do believe the deblurring filters of MQA will create an advantage over non-deblurred 24/96 but it remains to be seen how much that advantage would be.

1 minute ago, Lee Scoggins said:

I like Qobuz however I feel Tidal sounds slightly better.  The reason for this, I believe, is that I can play Tidal via Roon which seems to make things more clear.  Therefore I believe no valid comparison is possible yet.  Qobuz should be available via Roon soon.

I do believe the deblurring filters of MQA will create an advantage over non-deblurred 24/96 but it remains to be seen how much that advantage would be.

Audirvana+ plays both.

I did not A/B a particular piece of music.  What I did do was trial Tidal/MQA, with which I was not impressed versus my hi-res local files.  I thought the MQA files sounded slightly worse than the local hi-res.

Then about a year later IIRC, I trailed Qobuz RedBook and hi-res.  I was *very* impressed - both sounded every bit as good as my local files.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Deblurring?

Never heard that word before!

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

On 11/16/2018 at 2:51 AM, Rt66indierock said:

Those of us who listen to live music regularly would not consider a recording to be especially close to a live event. 

I have played a cello since I was 5 years old, sometimes up to six hours per day. I gained a first class honours in music at 19 years old.

How much live music have you listened to?

On 11/16/2018 at 12:50 AM, jabbr said:

so beautiful I cried” etc and those descriptions could be just as easily made by someone listening to earbuds in an iPhone

You must be beta testing some future iPhone earbuds that I'm unaware of.

Must admit,  when I listen to non-MQA files using my ifi Micro iDSD BL DAC/Amp playing Tidal on my iPhone through my Denon AH-D7200 headphones they sound ok. But there have been no tears.

6 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

Deblurring?

Never heard that word before!

You need to be more focused.....?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

6 hours ago, datasyd said:

I have played a cello since I was 5 years old, sometimes up to six hours per day. I gained a first class honours in music at 19 years old.

How much live music have you listened to?

A shill like apeal to authority with your with your musical experience. I raised a cellist.

I’ve listened to live music often enough that I consider going to concerts a big part of my lifestyle. I get on airplanes to attend live events do you?

14 hours ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Thank you for your response.

On 11/15/2018 at 12:17 PM, Lee Scoggins said:

I saw Gil at Carnegie Hall not too long ago.  It was wonderful.

Gil is a good guy. ?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

People I've been away teaching Continuing Legal Education and Continuing Professional Education. Topics were about the new American taxes laws.

I'm disappointed at many of the posts.  I want better so stay on topic, hunt shills when necessary, Frank talk about MQA, the company or the seminar here (the topics of the thread) or post it in your own threads. christopher3393,  Agitator on Archimago's site and Hoffman's site said the same thing as Brinksmanship did about MQA's sound. Bob Craver and other's have called MQA a big fraud no different than Brinksmanship did. And I finally get back on good terms with Michael L and you may mess it up thanks. Chris we'll talk more about how "food fights" impact your advertising.  

I'm to play the rest of weekend in the sun and listen to some live music.

I have more to post soon including the end of the vaporware post. I have horse's mouth conformation that there are more than 10,000 albums. We will move on to the next phase is MQA commercially viable?

10 minutes ago, jabbr said:

2) Apple mostly sells hardware, and mostly gives away software (though operates both online and physical retail)

Yeah, some of their own software. But they take 30% (IIRC) margin on all sales through App Store. And quite a bit of premium on the hardware too (you get to pay for software as part of the hardware).

For example their Final Cut Pro or Logic Pro isn't free... (although overall very reasonably priced)

In the end, they make big $$$ on software too. iOS would be dead without App Store.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

54 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yeah, some of their own software. But they take 30% (IIRC) margin on all sales through App Store. And quite a bit of premium on the hardware too (you get to pay for software as part of the hardware).

Sure. They have been very successful creating an online store as well as a retail store. Not sure what Amazon makes as markup for CDs or Books? In any case I was just trying to say that Apple is more hardware and Microsoft is more software (but obviously sells the XBox). Who ever dreamt that the Apple stores at the mall would be packed while the Microsoft stores sat empty?

For example their Final Cut Pro or Logic Pro isn't free... (although overall very reasonably priced)

In the end, they make big $$$ on software too. iOS would be dead without App Store.

In both cases their success has involved ecosystems that can be closed but also can be open (e.g. standard motherboards, BIOS, cards)

MQA appears to be an entirely closed system. Final Cut Pro authored movies don't require Apple firmware to play back.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.