IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

3 hours ago, mansr said:

Does anyone remember the (original) Microsoft Network (MSN)?

This was strategy that just about everyone tried for a short time (AOL, etc.).  There is no understanding of the facts or implications in Adiophiledom around format lock-in for whatever reason, but there is in the wider consumer electronic space however...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 hour ago, Shadorne said:

+1 I don’t understand how JA’s comment could be misconstrued as an attack on Chris and in favour of MQA. As usual JA was thoughtful and correct to point out that the attack on the kindly event organizer (no doubt a volunteer) was way out of line. I think JA was correct that if Chris had wanted to, he could have shut down the disruptions - contrary to JA I believe that Chris’ tactic (whether mindful or not) worked beautifully in exposing MQA insiders for everyone to see; what kind of people they are and how substantive technically MQA product/service is.

I missed this, where was she "attacked" or otherwise disrespected?

1 hour ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I do believe the translation of the word "wank" has been misinterpreted when it was exported to the USA, or other.

One can have a "wank", which is a rather pleasurable experience. What is the difference between an egg and a "wank" ?. You can beat an egg.

One can call another person a "wanker" which is derisory, but in a nice way. Similar to calling someone a "dipstick", it is meant to infer stupidity, or silly behaviour.

The term you may wish to use is "fannying around", where this means dilly dallying, or even "prevaricating", with disruptive intent possibly.

Regards,

Shadders.

wank·er
ˈwaNGkər/
noun
vulgar slangBritish
noun: wanker; plural noun: wankers
  1. a person who masturbates (used as a term of abuse).

mQa is dead!

3 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Both ridiculous and unfair! Do you expect her to monitor and be responsible for the attendees of every seminar, let alone every exhibit?

More importantly, do you want a situation where conference organizer staff police the content of the presentations and discussions?

17 minutes ago, wgscott said:

If the tables were turned, would you want the conference organizers cutting off the microphones of MQA critics, Richard J Daily style (Chicago, 1968)?

Sorry for going off topic but, when a certain bloated blond bully who lives in a big white house goes off on one his rants, I often wish someone would cut off the microphones, Richard J. Daley style (Chicago, 1968). :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

47 minutes ago, sls said:

It helps being non-technical.

You don't need to know any engineering that:

1) CD was better than vinyl

In 1992 or so? I think not.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

9 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I don't think she was attacked, but even naming her muddies the waters.  The people responsible for the behavior of the MQA advocates are themselves.  

If the tables were turned, would you want the conference organizers cutting off the microphones of MQA critics, Richard J Daily style (Chicago, 1968)?

Like any organizer, dept. head, CEO, politician she has to take responsibility for the actions of others under her watch.  It's part of the job.  She could decide that presentations at her show are not presentations at all, but are instead open forums where confrontational, "democratic", adversarial tactics rule.  I doubt that is what anybody wants inside or outside the industry.  She can of course ignore Chris's poor treatment, and that is no doubt how this particular case will be handled unfortunately.

I actually would accept the consequences of my disruptive/disingenuous strategery "if the table were turned".

Chris was treated differently, and this is obvious to everyone.  The industry insiders such as John Atkinson don't mind because their viewpoint and purpose carried the day, or so they believe.  

24 minutes ago, crenca said:

Your denial does not withstand scrutiny.  Your in over your head when it comes to the inside baseball, industry first and anti-consumer perspective.  One opinion piece where you acknowledge a single anti-consumer aspect of MQA when otherwise praising it does not count.  Look up the etymology of "con-spiracy", co-spirit or "with the spirit of".  Everything you do is in the spirit of putting industry needs and desires (in this case MQA) first, second, and third...

Con spirare = together breathing ( the implication being people in a huddle breathing each other’s breath.)  Spirit = breath.

On the present usage I hold no opinion, although I am genuinely puzzled by Mr Atkinson’s enthusiasm.

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

2 hours ago, firedog said:

Amazing how in your whole post you don't mention the consumer/music listener as a shareholder. That says a lot about where you are coming from and why you are such an MQA proponent. The listeners don't matter....only the label, producer, artist and MQA. 

The labels, producers and artists need to look before they leap, there is no consumer demand for MQA.

10 minutes ago, wgscott said:

But they are not under her watch.  They are not employees of hers. They are conference participants... 

On a more practical matter, how in the world would she be expected to police every presentation?

More importantly, one doesn't need policing of presentations for attendees to know that rude, disruptive, unprofessional behaviour is unaccpetable.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

2 minutes ago, wgscott said:

But they are not under her watch.  They are not employees of hers. They are conference participants.  

If it was a question of bedbugs infesting the conference room, you would be correct.

On a more practical matter, how in the world would she be expected to police every presentation?

"police" is not the right word.  She IS the organizer, she sets the tone.  She could "police" this particular instance by saying:

"As show organizer the treatment of Chris is not acceptable.  While RMAF does not take a particular position on MQA, we do offer a setting and forum where all sides are presented, and where everyone is treated with respect.  Disruptive behavior for any reason by anyone is not what we are about here at RMAF.  I wish to apologize to Chris.  In the future, we will ask all participants, presenters, and audience members to conduct themselves in a respectful manner..." etc. etc.

She of course can not force anyone to do anything really, but she sets the tone...

33 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

In 1992 or so? I think not.

The market seemed to think so. 

By the time CD came about vinyl was already getting beaten by tape. CDs were very expensive in 1983, almost doubt vinyl sometimes, once the price came down they took off. 

LPs were pretty much history by 1993. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2013/04/11/vinyl-records-are-more-popular-now-than-they-were-in-the-late-90s/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6e484f5b290c

16/44 CD engineering was superb from the very start. Trevor Gilbert's Bach 48 and Paul Simon's Graceland come to mind. Had a lot to do with it being driven by classical music, Karajan was hired to promote the technology when it was announced in 1979 and he sold more albums than anyone.

1 minute ago, sls said:

The market seemed to think so. 

By the time CD came about vinyl was already getting beaten by tape. CDs were very expensive in 1983, almost doubt vinyl sometimes, once the price came down they took off. 

LPs were pretty much history by 1993. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2013/04/11/vinyl-records-are-more-popular-now-than-they-were-in-the-late-90s/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6e484f5b290c

One of the reasons I don't trust record companies about introducing new audio formats, is the way they forced CDs onto the market in 1992 when CDs were more expensive than LPs and sounded worse than LPs.

Certainly in the long term the record companies were proved 100% right in that they made a lot of money out of the switch. Compared to a decent quality vinyl setup in 1992, i found CD players were pretty mediocre and pretty much unlistenable. That is not the case in 2018 of course, but I feel that LPs were killed off when CDs were a very immature format in sound terms, although they had a great advantage of being more convenient than LPs for sure.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

6 minutes ago, Kyhl said:

That is too personal.  A simplified version without pointing fingers at a particular event while still letting the bullies know they are on notice.  They know what they did because it was planned to bring a show to the presentation.  They accomplished their goal.

Everyone should separate the product from the personalities.  I think that @John_Atkinson should use his position to condemn this behavior instead of blaming someone for lacking skills in presenting.  That was a bit cowardly.

It's just an example and no doubt could use a bit of tweaking.  Still, I noticed that you want JA to say something 'personal'.  I don't disagree, and I believe she should as well otherwise her/RMAF's reaction comes across as a bit spineless...

31 minutes ago, crenca said:

"police" is not the right word.  She IS the organizer, she sets the tone.  She could "police" this particular instance by saying:

"As show organizer the treatment of Chris is not acceptable.  While RMAF does not take a particular position on MQA, we do offer a setting and forum where all sides are presented, and where everyone is treated with respect.  Disruptive behavior for any reason by anyone is not what we are about here at RMAF.  I wish to apologize to Chris.  In the future, we will ask all participants, presenters, and audience members to conduct themselves in a respectful manner..." etc. etc.

She of course can not force anyone to do anything really, but she sets the tone...

If behaviour like that occurred at the conferences I frequent, there would be much sterner words forthcoming from the organisers. The perpetrators might even be kicked out of the event.

53 minutes ago, crenca said:

Does she even know what happened?  I assume she couldn't be present at all venues simultaneously.

Also, even though I agree the hecklers were rude and shot themselves in the foot (an ideal outcome, if you think about it), did it really cross a line where an apology from anyone else is required?  It isn't so clear from one youtube video where the sound quality is quite poor.