IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

8 hours ago, Shadorne said:

PCM 24/96 is already a perfectly good format for the foreseeable future. SACD wasn’t necessary and neither is DSD. Give us better mix/masters - ones that aren’t overly compressed to the extent it really ruins audio quality. (I am not against tasteful compression in pop/rock but we are far beyond that in most cases) 

I've noted that for DSD files there always appears to be more headroom -- never gets anywhere close to or over 0 dbms.  I cannot say the same thing for PCM files.

mQa is dead!

15 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

You taking a stand against Chris and Computer Audiophile puts you in that category.

Please provide a link to where I have "taken a stand" against Chris Connaker and Computer Audiophile. Yes, I criticized the way Chris handled the MQA in the Middle presentation at RMAF because of the demands other CA posters made that Marjorie Baumert apologize to him. So what? I think you are confusing me with someone else.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

17 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

In fact, you would be writing something in your own publication that disputes everything that Chris has said and showing real objective data to prove it.  Yet again, you choose to wank around on here.  It's that simple regardless how you might think. 

Hi,

I do believe the translation of the word "wank" has been misinterpreted when it was exported to the USA, or other.

One can have a "wank", which is a rather pleasurable experience. What is the difference between an egg and a "wank" ?. You can beat an egg.

One can call another person a "wanker" which is derisory, but in a nice way. Similar to calling someone a "dipstick", it is meant to infer stupidity, or silly behaviour.

The term you may wish to use is "fannying around", where this means dilly dallying, or even "prevaricating", with disruptive intent possibly.

Regards,

Shadders.

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I can no longer remain neutral in the face of the evidence and the behavior of MQA. 

I'm actually excited to see what CA has up it's sleeve to take on the money hungry giant.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

It helps being non-technical.

You don't need to know any engineering that:

1) CD was better than vinyl

2) cassettes tapes were OK for the car but were not as good as vinyl

3) Streaming is better than CDs

There were clear differences and improvements that a 3-year-old could hear or understand. When I had a 3-year-old he was obsessed with a Lion King CD, which he could play, but he wasn't allowed near my turntable. 

The success or failure of formats is entirely consumer-driven and evidenced by revenues per format. You can look the figures up on the RIAA website. 

As I see it, the fundamental problem with MQA is that there ABSOLUTELY NOTHING obvious to the average potential consumer why they should buy it. It just serves no purpose. They go on about "education" of the consumer, but completely miss the point that if they have to explain why the consumer should buy it the product has failed already. 

10 minutes ago, sls said:

3) Streaming is better than CDs

As I see it, the fundamental problem with MQA is that there ABSOLUTELY NOTHING obvious to the average potential consumer why they should buy it. It just serves no purpose. They go on about "education" of the consumer, but completely miss the point that if they have to explain why the consumer should buy it the product has failed already. 

Apparently, they don't think they need to convince the consumers; they convinced the major labels, some equipment manufacturers, and TIDAL -- it's incorporated in TIDAL (streaming service). Presumably the less informed TIDAL subscriber will not even notice. The real problem is or was that the format could replace existing formats. But now it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

mQa is dead!