IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

1 minute ago, tmtomh said:

To your first question: MQA is embedding DRM into the files already. An unfolded and/or rendered MQA file - that is, the full quality and full resolution - can only be played/streamed in real time, on proprietary, licensed software and hardware. It cannot be copied, manipulated by the end user for personal use, or played back at full/original resolution on non-proprietary software or hardware.

To your second question: This is why MQA makes the "crown jewels" argument. The idea is that the labels have dipped a toe in the high-res waters but it remains a niche market because they are hesitant about making high-res PCM a truly widespread, mainstream market for fear of totally losing control of their masters. To learn more about this, you should really ask this guy @Lee Scoggins about that. I don't know if you've met him, but he's on record here, and I believe at the Hoffman forums, repeatedly saying that MQA will make the labels feel more comfortable releasing high-res music more broadly, resulting in a quantum leap in the amount of high-res music available to consumers. He's said millions of MQA songs are in the pipline, and he's said about 30,000 MQA albums are in the pipeline. You really should check out his posts. 

To your third question: See my reply to the second question, as it's the same question.

I don't believe this definition of DRM is fair to MQA's unfolding technology.  The unfolding is the clever aspect of Stuart's approach which enables the smaller file sizes.  You are essentially saying that any folding is DRM but the classic definition is that DRM controls user rights.  The MQA file can be copied and played on any MQA-compatible device.  It's apples and oranges.

On the second paragraph, a couple of thoughts:

1.  The need for smaller files is real as bandwidth considerations at scale are real.

2.  All the major labels and Merlin have committed to applying MQA to their entire back catalog.  I know from people working in the industry, that the MQA masterings are being done in volume.  There is so much activity that MQA now has a cloud-based service where engineers are uploading files that get encoded in the cloud.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I assume the term buffoonery is aimed at Lee’s actions / comments  not him personally as to evade our ban on personal attacks?

you are correct. bufoonery describes his Alice In Wonderland posts sprinkled with lies, and misrepresented facts, like “Ken” and “Mike” were civil.

Just now, Lee Scoggins said:

Because there are still a handful of people here with an open mind who might appreciate an opposing view to "MQA is evil".

You still don't get it - the 'MQA is evil' meme is purely in the mind of those who feel CA is a threat. Those who don't, don't perceive any 'evil' in civil, open and inquiring discussion of MQA's merits, or not.

1 minute ago, opus101 said:

But he didn't say that MQA did. Could it be your own bias is showing?

Maybe I misread his comment.  If he is saying the track is dynamically compressed for other reasons then that is a mastering issue that MQA won't fix.  However, in the MQA approach the idea is that the dynamics are preserved.

1 minute ago, MikeyFresh said:

Because they know damn well that's the only thing that has the labels the least bit interested, and simultaneously that consumers have flatly rejected DRM in the past. 

So MQA/DRM has a tall task, creating some marketing BS complete with file size/streaming efficiency/temporal deblurring/sonic merit false claims that distracts from the Trojan horse DRM aspect that the labels covet.

Nice try, but it hasn't worked, no one is fooled.

I don't think so based on conversations with music execs.  They tell me they need to sell a better product to get more interest.  I think they see hirez as an important value but they have an issue with doing that at scale, in real time on a streaming service.