IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

4 hours ago, left channel said:

As you can see from the previous posts here, different apps and DACs give different unfolding results. Via the Qobuz desktop app, my Pro-Ject S2D cannot maintain a lock and audibly drops in and out of MQA and I cannot disable the feature. LMS/Squeezelite-X works better.

Assuming that both the Qobuz Desktop app & LMS/Squeezelite-X are streaming the exact same FLAC file track from Qobuz's online server, isn't this more an indication of your Qobuz Desktop app with whatever audio output device you've selected for it, not providing the attached MQA supporting DAC a bit perfect output for some reason, so corrupting any MQA content?

So it may not have anything to do with the track being an MQA one or not - it's just that the output not being bit perfect would be far more noticeable with an (imperfect) MQA signal than a normal non-MQA signal to an MQA supporting DAC.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

A bunch of folks were making assumptions about QOBUZ outages a few days ago.  Here is some real data and "My assumptions from that data"!

First the email:

Dear MyVolumio user,
This is to inform that we released an emergency update to restore QOBUZ Functionality.

What happened:
On friday 20th QOBUZ contacted us to notify the would temporarily suspend our API access. This was due to a particular search string that caused malfunctions on their infrastructure. They required us to make an urgent change on our implementation, which we did the same day. 

On Monday 23rd however, they communicated instead that they were issuing a new API key for Volumio, in order to restrict access to old Volumio clients.
This means that existing users would not be able to access QOBUZ until they update to a new version with this new API key.

Solution:
To restore QOBUZ functionality, simply update to latest Volumio version. Then log-out and log-in in QOBUZ.

We are sorry about this inconvenience and we did all that we could to solve the matter with the least disruption on your side.
Thanks again for being a MyVolumio user!

Enjoy the music
The Volumio Team

and the release notes:

1985913521_ScreenShot2019-09-27at3_30_19PM.png.7ef043b5a2600967877c92032060ff43.png

SO Bob's Guess.  I am betting on software bugs.

This  tells me something SQL injected them and caused an outage..  Now was that intentional or human error?  I am also going out on a limb and guessing that the bug might not be fixed yet  as they are asking vendors to not send them "certain search strings".  

My Prediction:   Watch for an "announced server outage" in the future.

RJF. (CISM, CISSP --- Retired)

Now back to listening to music!

2 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Assuming that both the Qobuz Desktop app & LMS/Squeezelite-X are streaming the exact same FLAC file track from Qobuz's online server, isn't this more an indication of your Qobuz Desktop app with whatever audio output device you've selected for it, not providing the attached MQA supporting DAC a bit perfect output for some reason, so corrupting any MQA content?

So it may not have anything to do with the track being an MQA one or not - it's just that the output not being bit perfect would be far more noticeable with an (imperfect) MQA signal than a normal non-MQA signal to an MQA supporting DAC.

It is indeed something about the Qobuz app, and whatever the reason, I've requested that they make it work because they seem to be continuing to host MQA content in at least some markets. The solution for me is to simply change to a non-MQA DAC, and that's no great loss as I have no use for MQA, but I don't mind plugging my Pro-Ject S2D in to help test this anytime.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

23 hours ago, David Craff said:

It is not currently Qobuz's intention to offer MQA.

Please consult with your user base first if you ever decide to even consider such a thing.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Hope Qobuz does get out an Amazon Fire app. There's a new Fire hardware release. More and more people are using these tools for music. 96K works great with the current Fire and Firestick. Crossing my fingers it's in the works. 

Even a 44K app will have big benefits with some of us happy to plug it into our big rigs. 

On 9/27/2019 at 10:14 AM, David Craff said:

We are eager to expand our multi-channel product catalog but are currently dependent on what we receive from suppliers.

Can't tell you how pleased I am to hear that. There is a lot of content out there in the Classical realm and also smaller amounts in all the other genre's. Maybe Qobuz might assign someone to look into expanding things.  Also the delivery system needs some work, I'm not a expert but I've been around computers for a few years now and I've not been able to get the 5.1 files to function in the standard Windows app. The only person I know who's been successful is Kal Rubinson by working from inside Roon. I wouldn't think we should have to use Roon to make the multich system work?

Thanks for your attention here!

On 9/27/2019 at 10:25 AM, David Craff said:

It is not currently Qobuz's intention to offer MQA.

That one also pleases me very much.  MQA is an assault on the consumers ability to obtain true lossless files of original master tapes. sounding as the engineer/producer intended. Thanks!

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

2 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Maybe Qobuz might assign someone to look into expanding things. 

Hi Sal-

I think Qobuz have said Qobuz USA is an office with about 4 people, so that might be difficult.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Maybe Qobuz might assign someone to look into expanding things.

35 minutes ago, firedog said:

Hi Sal-

I think Qobuz have said Qobuz USA is an office with about 4 people, so that might be difficult.

And still less than 75 employees worldwide, I believe. That's up from 50 last year, but still a very small company. Much development does appear to be happening though, and I do expect we'll see improvements in delivery and much else soon.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

On 9/27/2019 at 10:14 AM, David Craff said:

Hi,

We are eager to expand our multi-channel product catalog but are currently dependent on what we receive from suppliers.

Regards

On 9/29/2019 at 12:58 AM, firedog said:

Hi Sal-

Understandable, but honestly how much effort does it take to notify the labels they would like to have access to more multich files?  I wouldn't think it would take much more than a few letters or phone calls. Qobuz has millions of files on they're servers, I'm sure they didn't have to request access one by one. ;)   I know the multichannel customer base isn't large but it is growing and since no other streamer is offering any product at all,  Qobuz would have a wide open field on which to build their customer base both in the US and world wide.

Just sayin 

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

4 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Understandable, but honestly how much effort does it take to notify the labels they would like to have access to more multich files?  I wouldn't think it would take much more than a few letters or phone calls. Qobuz has millions of files on they're servers, I'm sure they didn't have to request access one by one. ;)   I know the multichannel customer base isn't large but it is growing and since no other streamer is offering any product at all,  Qobuz would have a wide open field on which to build their customer base both in the US and world wide.

Just sayin 

Do you think that a simple phone call allows us to have a multi-channel file. If the file already exists with the label and it is provided for in the agreements, then yes. But unfortunately, this is not necessarily the case. The fact that a label has the 5.1 file is already not guaranteed. Asking him to do so is also not obvious and not necessarily a will of the label. If it were that simple, we would already have our entire catalogue in Hi-Res.

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.

4 hours ago, David Craff said:

Do you think that a simple phone call allows us to have a multi-channel file. If the file already exists with the label and it is provided for in the agreements, then yes. But unfortunately, this is not necessarily the case. The fact that a label has the 5.1 file is already not guaranteed. Asking him to do so is also not obvious and not necessarily a will of the label. If it were that simple, we would already have our entire catalogue in Hi-Res.

Look at it this way, you are already so popular that people think your business is simple enough they know how to run it. 😉

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

@David Craff I have a stripped down Windows 10 (using an alternative to Audiophile Optimizer) that sounds quite good.  But when I launch Qobuz I'm getting a JavaScript error.  

Is there somewhere in the filesystem that Qobuz logs such errors?  Curious, the Qobuz desktop app seems to work perfectly OK despite this error.  I'd just like to get it resolved.  Thanks.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

22 hours ago, David Craff said:

Understood, but my last search revealed a total of something like 34

albums total.

That would indicate that a bit more effort might be in order.  ;)

Since I am a long time Amazon Prime customer I took advantage of the 90 day free trial to see what the fuss is about Amazon Music HD since the mainstream press is going on about how good it sounds at a bargain price.

I imagine Qobuz is too polite to criticize a competitor so it is up to us. Amazon Music HD launched without even having Wasapi exclusive mode integrated into their desktop app. I imagine that is the main reason sound quality is inferior to Qobuz. And having to go into Windows mixer and set the proper sample rate and bit depth for each song? Makes me think Amazon rushed to market or just does not care about ultimate sound quality and definitely is not targeting audiophiles.

14 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks to @David.. Qobuz, Hi-Res Music Evangelist and Eric from Qobuz for stopping by Audiophile Style headquarters this afternoon!

IMG_0014_Small.jpg

Chris,  I can only imagine how good your room/system sounds!  But don't ya go a bit snow blind up there, all that white?  😂  LOL

13 hours ago, exdmd said:

Amazon Music HD launched without even having Wasapi exclusive mode integrated into their desktop app.

That does really suck !!!  😡

On 9/30/2019 at 9:31 AM, Kal Rubinson said:

Understood.  However, you will have a hard time getting the labels to supply multichannel files until you enable your own app to play them!  Relying on the use of Roon as an intermediary does work but is insufficient for the majority of Qobuz users and, probably, for the labels.

Though it only scratches the surface.  This thread has excluded the non-US subscribers who realistically are the one's that would benefit from Qobuz becoming awash with MCH streaming options.  If the market isn't there in Europe. It more than likely won't happen without transplanting a US representative capable of winning sentiment over to our reasoning.   

If I was asked to champion anything domestically.  By far and large it would be getting a Frenchman on long term loan to curate relationships.  Too large of a feast being organized for us not to request someone with culinary sense see to our needs.

@David Craff we hope CC's hospitality made up for freezing cold rain not quite obscuring the dull flat plains.  You both look huddled and in desperate need of a stiff drink.  

On 9/30/2019 at 4:31 PM, Kal Rubinson said:

Understood.  However, you will have a hard time getting the labels to supply multichannel files until you enable your own app to play them!  Relying on the use of Roon as an intermediary does work but is insufficient for the majority of Qobuz users and, probably, for the labels.

The option for our application to be able to play a track in 5.1 format will be studied. However, we will prioritize the application issues. However, we will not wait for the labels to provide us with more 5.1 content so that our application can benefit from it.

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.

On 9/27/2019 at 10:45 PM, left channel said:
On 9/27/2019 at 8:42 PM, Cebolla said:

It is indeed something about the Qobuz app, and whatever the reason, I've requested that they make it work because they seem to be continuing to host MQA content in at least some markets. The solution for me is to simply change to a non-MQA DAC, and that's no great loss as I have no use for MQA, but I don't mind plugging my Pro-Ject S2D in to help test this anytime.

I'd be more concerned about the Qobuz Desktop app not being bit perfect with the selected audio device in the first place - which would include the 'normal' non-MQA audio file tracks, never mind MQA!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

4 hours ago, David Craff said:

The option for our application to be able to play a track in 5.1 format will be studied. However, we will prioritize the application issues. However, we will not wait for the labels to provide us with more 5.1 content so that our application can benefit from it.

OK.  The availability of 5.1 content should not be a limiting factor for you if the providers were aware of your (and our) interest.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

From

https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/index.html#news

2019-10-06

If you were using Qobuz and it's not working any more, don't pull your hair, the Qobuz plugin stopped working (either through the Media Server or with OHCredentials). Qobuz revoked the app_id, and also deleted the API documentation on Github. I guess that they don't want people to use their subscription as they like.

Can @David Craff please comment on this?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)