IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Good question. 

Sorry, but this is one of the most stupid questions I have read on this forum.

Look at the Gartner Quadrant and you know why.  And if you do not know about the Gartner Quadrant, than please catch up before you ask IT-related questions.

image.thumb.png.a6e8a1a848a9811ceed99fa30ee91dd3.png

Dirk

I don't know whose infrastructure Qobuz is using.

But the question definitely suggested that Amazon was responsible for the downtime of Qobuz.

But Amazon would not have grown so succesfull, by far number 1 worldwide in providing webservices and cloud/server infrastructure, if they did not offer a more than excellent service.

Recognized by Gartner year in, year out as the market leader and visonair in this market.

And it is very well possible that a server(cloud) goes down, even at AWS, but there are contracts with uptime and service restore requirements.  Amazon would not be so succesfull with million of small and big companies in the world, if they did not honour these contracts. 

And again, I do not know if Qobuz makes use of AWS or not.

Dirk

4 minutes ago, ddetaey said:

I don't know whose infrastructure Qobuz is using.

But the question definitely suggested that Amazon was responsible for the downtime of Qobuz.

But Amazon would not have grown so succesfull, by far number 1 worldwide in providing webservices and cloud/server infrastructure, if they did not offer a more than excellent service.

Recognized by Gartner year in, year out as the market leader and visonair in this market.

And it is very well possible that a server(cloud) goes down, even at AWS, but there are contracts with uptime and service restore requirements.  Amazon would not be so succesfull with million of small and big companies in the world, if they did not honour these contracts. 

And again, I do not know if Qobuz makes use of AWS or not.

Dirk

So the question about Qobuz and AWS is very pertinent and a good one. People are curious. 

No clue why you brought in Gartner, SLAs, etc... and called it dumb. Plus, you don’t even have the answer to the dumbest question ever. Hmmmm. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

If David Ceaff is informing eveybody that the Qobuz servers are down, and the first question starts with Uhmm.... What is the relationship between Qobuz and Amazon, this question is not really about whose infrastructure Qobuz is using.

And for the answer on the dumbest question, as you have good and personal relationship with David Craff, why don't you ask him.

And if I am still the stupiest asshole, well be my guest.

Dirk

It's not necessarily anything nefarious on the part of Amazon even if the Qobuz outage were related.  It could be a failure from the additional taxing of the overall AWS system from interest in Amazon's new HD Music service.

That said, I took the question to be in jest as well, FWIW.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

On 9/21/2019 at 12:32 PM, shadowlight said:

The last time I had checked Qobuz content was delivered via AWS infrastructure.  I will check tonight when I am in a computer.

And Amazon occasionally does have outages.

At least for me all the connections are hosted on AWS infrastructure.  The URL's in question that are used when using web browser are:

play.qobuz.com

open.qobuz.com

streaming[#].qobuz.com

The first two are basically the central servers where authentication is occurring and your profile information seem to be hosted.  You can use www.viewdns.info website to find the geo location of the ip addresses and the first two are located in Ireland.  The streaming[#].qobuz.com is where the streaming content is hosted.  ViewDNS for that url gives you location as Seattle but that is not accurate (most likely they are giving you Amazon's HQ location, since the IP addresses are being used are part of AWS Cloudfront content delivery infrastructure) and based on the URL DNS lookup it seems to be around NYC based on JFK (streaming1 one is somewhere in NJ based on EWR airport name in the DNS lookup).  The ping time to streaming URL are around 8ms for me which seems to indicate hosts around NYC area, since I am located in Princeton, NJ area.

nslookup play.qobuz.com

Name:      play.qobuz.com
Address 1: 54.229.239.55 ec2-54-229-239-55.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com
Address 2: 18.200.231.166 ec2-18-200-231-166.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com

nslookup open.qobuz.com

Name:      open.qobuz.com
Address 1: 54.229.239.55 ec2-54-229-239-55.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com
Address 2: 18.200.231.166 ec2-18-200-231-166.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com

nslookup streaming2.qobuz.com

Name:      streaming2.qobuz.com
Address 1: 13.225.224.99 server-13-225-224-99.jfk51.r.cloudfront.net
Address 2: 13.225.224.115 server-13-225-224-115.jfk51.r.cloudfront.net
Address 3: 13.225.224.129 server-13-225-224-129.jfk51.r.cloudfront.net
Address 4: 13.225.224.72 server-13-225-224-72.jfk51.r.cloudfront.net

If Qobuz has issues the most likely culprit is going to be play.qobuz.com URL and the infrastructure around it.  Hopefully, as Qobuz presence grows further in America's they will start replicating the play/open.qobuz.com infrastructure in the America's region.

Hello there, I have a persistent Qobuz issue that goes across platforms, whether using their app, the web streamer or an app native to my streamer. It is this: on some albums, certain titles become limited to 30 second long samples and no matter what I clear or reset including the "clear cache" buttons, they remain unplayable. Attached is screen shot. The problematic tracks go into a feint gray whereas the working tracks are in normal black type. Very annoying. No idea why it happens nor how to fix it.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 20.43.51.png

1 hour ago, Meshplate said:

Hello there, I have a persistent Qobuz issue that goes across platforms, whether using their app, the web streamer or an app native to my streamer. It is this: on some albums, certain titles become limited to 30 second long samples and no matter what I clear or reset including the "clear cache" buttons, they remain unplayable. Attached is screen shot. The problematic tracks go into a feint gray whereas the working tracks are in normal black type. Very annoying. No idea why it happens nor how to fix it.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 20.43.51.png

I've seen that on other services as well. It means the label has not licensed Qobuz to stream those tracks. They may be available for downloading, in which case those 30-second tracks are there only as samples. As Tidal sells few downloads, on that service tracks are often just greyed out and not even playable for 30 seconds, but perhaps Qobuz does sell those.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

Thank you for your response, Left Channel. However, I don't think that is the explanation because it happens on tracks that I have already played that then go "bad." In addition to these tracks above, it happened to an album that I had played many times and then it went into this 30 second sample mode, Roxy Music - Avalon. Difficult to see why this famous album out of all other Roxy Music albums would not be licensed.

Left Channel is correct, if an individual track or even an entire album is "grayed out" then the streaming rights have been pulled by the label, publisher or artist for some reason or the streaming rights contract has run out and not renewed. This has become a common occurrence on Tidal in the past few months.  What was true in the past is not relevant. 

12 hours ago, Meshplate said:

Thank you for your response, Left Channel. However, I don't think that is the explanation because it happens on tracks that I have already played that then go "bad." In addition to these tracks above, it happened to an album that I had played many times and then it went into this 30 second sample mode, Roxy Music - Avalon. Difficult to see why this famous album out of all other Roxy Music albums would not be licensed.

Hi,

Listening rights can change at any time. A release can move from one label to another and we may not have the rights with it. The same label can decide at any time to stop the distribution rights of a release or track.

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.

I am seeing some strange behaviour re. reproduction of some MQA tracks, specifically the two versions of Christian Eggen, Carl Nielsen Piano Music.

There are two versions on Qobuz

• both are marked as "CD", one costs 9.99€ the other 13€
  • Neither is marked as MQA. Not in the Qobuz app, not in the Roon interface
  • Streamed to dCS Rossini from Roon, they both show the MQA logo and expand to 24/44.1. However the Roon signal path shows MQA authenticated 16/44.1
  • Played to a Hifiberry Digi+, Roon Signal path also shows MQA authenticated 16/44.1, however they get expanded to 24/88.2

Playing the same file from Tidal via Roon

• Streamed to dCS Rossini from Roon, the Roon signal path shows MQA authenticated 24/44.1. Rossini also shows MQA 24/44.1
  • Played to a Hifiberry Digi+, Roon Signal path also shows MQA authenticated 24/44.1, however they get expanded to 24/88.2

Something seems strange here.

Either Qobuz is using a different stream than Tidal, or the Roon signal path information is wrong.

At any rate the MQA authentication thing does not seem to be working consistently here.

Can someone at Roon and / or at Qobuz shed some light on this?

BTW, I have not been able to locate an "original" of this album on 2L. It seems to be available uniquely through Todal and Qobuz.

Eggen Roon Qobuz dCS Rossini.jpg

Eggen Roon Qobuz Hifiberry.jpg

Eggen Roon Tidal dCS Rossini.jpg

Eggen Roon Tidal Hifiberry.jpg