IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

39 minutes ago, Gus141 said:

Does anyone else see value in creating a new thread: Qobuz Feature Requests.

To me, it seems appropriate to post requests for new features (for the service and/or the apps) in a thread separate from the one designed to talk about problems with existing supported functionality.

I don’t want to complain about missing features in this thread, but would gladly list all the things I wish the app did differently in a separate thread if the Qobuz team wanted that feedback.

What I don't understand is why this thread is on the Equipment section of the forum. Shouldn't it be in Music > Music Downloads & Streaming?

On 10/29/2019 at 1:56 PM, Polyglot said:

What I don't understand is why this thread is on the Equipment section of the forum. Shouldn't it be in Music > Music Downloads & Streaming?

Streaming services, apps, and other parts of the "plumbing" are here along with the hardware, while content is over there. Or at least that's how it makes sense to me. The Tidal issues thread is here too.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:52 AM, dmackta said:

can you post some examples of what you aren't seeing. The gaps should really not be that glaring at this point, we've been adding 10,000 albums a day for the last several months.

I see much progress indeed! But just off the top of my head, there are these:

Radka Toneff: all five releases are missing in the USA. Three original albums and two compilations. (I'll just live with Fairytales being an MQA CD, if the Qobuz app is upgraded to stream the containers properly.)

Bruce Cockburn: this list has improved, but in the USA 20 of 31 streaming releases are still missing, including his most popular hit album Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws which is available only in sample clips and for sale as a download.

Tough examples of course, as neither artist is American. And on the other hand, in some cases I see more albums than over on the T-word.

1 hour ago, left channel said:

LMS/Squeezebox for Windows with the Qobuz plugin, and the Squeezelite-X client for Windows 7 and 10. I actually use this more than the official Qobuz app. Love the Material skin.

Thanks for your suggestion. I could never get that to work though. Guess I'll have to stick with Audirvana. It isn't cheap nor is the interface more useful than Qobuz or Tidal's own software, however unlike them it plays flawlessly.

1 hour ago, left channel said:

Streaming services, apps, and other parts of the "plumbing" are here along with the hardware, while content is over there. Or at least that's how it makes sense to me. The Tidal issues thread is here too.

Qobuz and Tidal aren't hardware. It doesn't seem logical to me that they should be in the hardware section, specially considering there is another section expressly named as 'Music > Music Downloads & Streaming'.

You got us!  Part of this is we need users to point these things out -- we can't police everything. A couple of the Radka Toneff are Polygram, which is Universal, which is fully licensed and we should have. Could be as simple as asking for a new delivery. Not sure who distributes the Odin label. 

Cockburn -- the greyed out Dragon's looks like a mistake - it's on Columbia, which is Sony, fully licensed. The other Columbia Cockburns are streaming fine so we will ask Sony for a metadata redelivery which should fix any rights issue. The missing albums are distributed by True North which should be filling in within a couple weeks, I am pretty sure their stuff comes into us through The Orchard. Gonna double check though. 

There is a tremendous amount of recordings not available on Qobuz U.S.. Random examples:

─almost all releases by the Sterling label

─all releases by the Arion label

─releases from the ASV label

Das Vermächtnis releases of recordings by Furtwängler (they exist though are not labelled as such on Qobuz France)

Bach: The Complete Keyboard Works by Zuzana Ruzickova

And many others.

Nearly every search for a favorite reggae artist came up empty. Here are the artists and albums I can't find so far:

Soja – Get Wiser

Chronixx – Dread & Terrible

Niyorah – Fullest Confidence

Gonzo – Rocksteady

Joss Stone – Water for Your Soul (her reggae album)

Katchafire – Legacy

Ziggy Marley – Love is My Religion

Tribal Seeds – Representing

Sinead O’Connor – Throw Down Your Arms (her reggae album)

Protoje – The 8 Year Affair

Inna Vision – Lifted (and all other albums)

Eli-Mac – DubStop EP (and all other albums)

If you're not into reggae, you might not know all these folks...but many are legends. You can find them on other music services, which is where I found most of them in the first place. I realize we must be patient while Qobuz builds out their USA library, but I hope to hear a response or see some of these artists there soon.

Reggae also isn't one of the genres listed on the Discover page. It's hard not to be bummed about that.

3 hours ago, Talisman said:

Reggae also isn't one of the genres listed on the Discover page. It's hard not to be bummed about that

Qobuz has a sensible 10 or so genres. If you start wanting one for every possible sub genre of every headline form of music this would result in an unmanageable mess of dozens or even hundred of genres.  Reggae is a  sub genre of pop or rock . And even Reggae itself has sub genres and lovers of related forms such as Ska, Blue Beat, Lovers Rock, Dub, Roots Reggae etc, could justifiably want their own sub sub genres. And that is just one branch of music. Should there be separate genres for Rock, Garage, British Invasion, Rockabilly, Alternative, Grunge, Grime etc. etc? Or should classical fans have Symphony, Oratorio, Chamber, Opera, Instrumental, Vocal genres and so on? There is no end to this taxonomy. My advice is Keep It Simple or you will never find what you are searching for.

I would need a better representation of Black Metal albums in order to switch over fully to Qobuz. I enjoy Qobuz quite a bit, but Tidal's catalog is much more rich in terms of what I listen to. Will there ever be parity between the two? Interesting how the albums are available on other services, but Qobuz does not have them.

On Tidal, "Reggae/Dancehall" is a genre tag offered under Explore. Clicking on it brings up an organized display of Reggae playlists, new tracks, new albums, essential albums, etc.

That feature doesn't break it down further into subgenres. It does offer a great many broad genre tags though, including Classical, Rock/Indie, Hip-Hop, R&B/Soul, Gospel/Christian, Latin, Jazz, and more.

14 hours ago, PAR said:

Qobuz has a sensible 10 or so genres. If you start wanting one for every possible sub genre of every headline form of music this would result in an unmanageable mess of dozens or even hundred of genres.  Reggae is a  sub genre of pop or rock . And even Reggae itself has sub genres and lovers of related forms such as Ska, Blue Beat, Lovers Rock, Dub, Roots Reggae etc, could justifiably want their own sub sub genres. And that is just one branch of music. Should there be separate genres for Rock, Garage, British Invasion, Rockabilly, Alternative, Grunge, Grime etc. etc? Or should classical fans have Symphony, Oratorio, Chamber, Opera, Instrumental, Vocal genres and so on? There is no end to this taxonomy. My advice is Keep It Simple or you will never find what you are searching for.

Reggae is not a subgenre of pop or rock. It could even be said to predate pop and (especially) rock, if you know its origins. Reggae is a genre in and of itself. Qobuz has several Panorama features for reggae. The fact that you quoted five reggae subgenres (among others) actually strengthens the point.

I'm all for simplicity, but you made a good point of "never finding what you're searching for." That's what Search is for. It's not that difficult. Qobuz has already indexed by both genre and subgenre (please see screenshot showing Reggae and Dub, and there are many more), so listing them the way I ask would be child's play.

genres.jpg

13 hours ago, brianlg said:

I would need a better representation of Black Metal albums in order to switch over fully to Qobuz. I enjoy Qobuz quite a bit, but Tidal's catalog is much more rich in terms of what I listen to. Will there ever be parity between the two? Interesting how the albums are available on other services, but Qobuz does not have them.

Switching from Google Play Music and Amazon Music HD, I'm finding that Qobuz has roughly 70% of my 2379 saved albums. Normally, that wouldn't be enough to switch services (except for the amazing audio quality!) However, I've read here and elsewhere that we need to be patient while Qobuz finishes its USA licensing agreements to build out its library.

19 hours ago, Talisman said:

Nearly every search for a favorite reggae artist came up empty. Here are the artists and albums I can't find so far...

Reggae also isn't one of the genres listed on the Discover page. It's hard not to be bummed about that.

Thanks for this, Talisman. 

Reggae is tough because many of the biggest artists record for multiple small labels. Some on your list are still being ingested from The Orchard, CD Baby, etc. I bet some reggae guys use Tunecore which is a problem because they are not delivering to us yet despite the deal being in place for some time. 

The thing to keep in mind is that the catalog backfill is happening on a by distributor or by label basis.  Not by genre or artist. But soon there should simply be no holes other than Tunecore and Metallica! So if you see something missing, let us know, preferably with label information and/or links to release on another service. 

Regarding the top level genre selector on the Discover page: making these choices was painful! I would have liked to have included Reggae and Metal here along with a few others. However, due to Qobuz' unique content infrastructure, we can't add genres to the selector unless we have the editorial resources to generate lots of playlists, Panoramas and other features for each. In other words, more are coming along with better coverage of those genres across the board.  For now, Reggae is under World (hate the term but until we can break out the genres we are stuck with it) and Metal is under Rock/Pop

14 hours ago, brianlg said:

Please give me some examples. Include the labels please. If they are on Tidal, we will likely have them by the end of the month. 

On 11/2/2019 at 1:29 PM, Polyglot said:

─almost all releases by the Sterling label

─all releases by the Arion label

─releases from the ASV label

Das Vermächtnis releases of recordings by Furtwängler (they exist though are not labelled as such on Qobuz France)

Bach: The Complete Keyboard Works by Zuzana Ruzickova

Thanks for these - I will look into. Are they all on other services in the US?

Just a note for anyone who's using the Qobuz app on Linux through the very nice Nuvola Apps ( https://nuvola.tiliado.eu/app/qobuz/ubuntu/disco/ ) : Updating to the latest flatpak files results in an error for an h264 dependency, but Qobuz runs just fine without this. The error is known by the flatpak developers but a fix hasn't yet been distributed.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

7 minutes ago, Polyglot said:

I don't know about the U.S., but probably yes. They are all available on Qobuz France and Tidal Latin America.

Another point to clarify for all - licensing is done a per territory (country) basis.  While we want to have all the music that the French service has, we are limited to what is available in the US. That is why knowing if something is on another US service is helpful. Much less so knowing something is out in another country. 

3 hours ago, Talisman said:

Are there any differences (outside of ASIO and WASAPI Exclusive Mode) between the Qobuz desktop vs. web browser apps?

Yes. There is no gapless replay using the web browser app ( I just checked). In fact I don't know whether it is technically possible. It s big problem for my tastes ( mainly classical music) but may not be such a handicap for genres where each track = a new song .

14 hours ago, dmackta said:

Please give me some examples. Include the labels please. If they are on Tidal, we will likely have them by the end of the month. 

Thank you! Is the end of November when the catalog will be fully updated?

Here are some examples I'd love to have on there:

• Путь – Песни Смерти (https://pskovway.bandcamp.com/album/-) [on Tidal and Deezer]
  • The Body - I Have Fought Against It, but I Can't Any Longer (Thrill Jockey) [on Deezer]
  • The Body - No One Deserves Happiness (Thrill Jockey) [on Deezer]
  • Ulver - Bergtatt (Voices Music & Entertainment) [on Tidal and Deezer]
  • Bathory - missing a lot of albums by them [all on tidal]
  • Drudkh - missing all albums, but have an artist page [all on tidal]
  • there are a lot more

Also, are there plans to categorize releases by Album, EP/Single, Compilation, etc?