IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

17 hours ago, Jud said:

"Download with the app" has actually never worked for me (though as I think about it I may have tried on Linux, so that might explain it), so I've always wound up downloading the tar file.

It worked for me for a while but has been super buggy recently so I also went to the TAR file download

I miss the old downloader. A pretty simple tool but just did the job. Unfortunately it hasn’t been updated for ages. 

1 hour ago, jacobacci said:

I am looking for a way to use the qobuz app on android or iOS (not PC) to control a rendering device i

This is partially available but it is rendering device specific. For example my rendering device is a dCS Network Bridge. It is controlled ( including access to Qobuz ) via the dCS Mosaic Control app installed on either an Android or ios device. It certainly supports gapless replay. However not all of the Qobuz text items can be accessed, though full track data is. This is not a problem in reality ( see my concluding paragraph). Various alternatives to dCS with similar attributes in this respect  exist of course as per my earlier posting.

The Qobuz mobile app does allow access to more of the text data ( for example CD booklets are accessible) but replay is limited to the mobile device. However as the mobile version of the app is functionally similar to the desktop app in most aspects it would be feasible for Qobuz to add a "return channel " ( I'm sure there is a technospeak word for this) to allow the mobile device to control  a renderer ( e.g. the Qobuz desktop app) connected to the same LAN. I thought David Craff of Qobuz mentioned some months ago that something along these lines is on the Qobuz to do list so that there would then be remote control for their desktop apps.

Incidentally the fact that the remote controller of my renderer or the mobile app does not display all of the Qobuz text information is not a problem in practice. It displays all that it necessary for navigation and replay purposes including  access the Qobuz playlists . For me that is all that is required as one does not need or even want to read the missing text items or purchase downloads all of the time that one is listening. They are occasional requirements. As you are not restricted to a single app for Qobuz  ( though you are to only a single music streaming connection at a time)  , for  buying  a download or reading a Qobuz article,  I simply go to the desktop player app on my computer to do this as and when needed.  It is also preferable for reading as the screen is much larger than on my i-pad or phone.

@PAR everything you are saying is spot on. I have a dCS Rossini and from the Qobuz Windows Desktop App I can stream via UPnP. It works, but

• track metadata is not displayed on the Rossini
  • playback stops one second before the end of the track
  • if I press play at that point, playback is resumes laptop locally

So not exactly what I would call a seamless experience. On the Rossini I would never use Qobuz UPnP, but the Mosaic App which works flawlessly (without the nice Qobuz App fluff though).

For many other devices, I would like to use the Qobuz app however (e.g. Volumio)

So I'm afraid there is currently no good way to stream to an end device from the tablet Qobuz app. Tons of workarounds that each fall short in one way or another.

As you point out, there are many other tablet clients, which speak Qobuz and do stream to UPnP devices, but they again fall short in one aspect or another. Most of them i.e. only display 500 favorite albums. Most do not show the Qobuz track groupings for classical. All this can be fixed, but the app developers need to really look at the Qobuz API definitions.

For example see here

I have pointed out these issues to the respective developers as I find them, but nothing much has happened yet. Pity.

4 hours ago, jacobacci said:

Yes you have understood correctly.

I am looking for a way to use the qobuz app on android or iOS (not PC) to control a rendering device in order to have all the metadata at and functionality my disposal. There are several ways to do this. Unfortunately all of them have significant shortcomings:

• Chromecast is not gapless. Roon solves this issue by building a continuous gapless stream on the Roon Core Server. In theory Qobuz could do the same thing by streaming a continuous gapless stream from the Qobuz Servers. This would be a solution to the problem
  • Airplay has limited quality
  • UPnP is only available on the PC and Mac versions of the app. The android and iOS apps do not have UPnP (at least I have not found it). Qobuz UPnP works well with some devices and not so well on others. So if UPnP were available on tablets, device manufactureres could possbly adapt their UPnP renderer to cater for the peculiarities of the Qobuz UPnP implementation

I am wondering if Qoubuz would deem one of these two solutions doable?

The notion of the mythical Qobuz Connect protocol came up in the context of Sonos. Qobuz had mentioned them as being an example of Qobuz Connect implementation. Now that it is clear that "Qobuz Connect" is a generic name for third party protocols being used, it seems to me that in the Sonos case it may have been Sonos direct control being used.

Qobuz upnp has never worked for me. Neither on the ultra rendu, nor with my new Vivaldi upsampler. The best workaround I know, in Android, is to use the “share” function. You use the Qobuz app to navigate. When you find the track/album you want, click on the three dots, instead of play. Select share, and it will send the stream to bubble upnp. Never tried with dcs Mosaic. With bubble, works flawlessly, including hapless.

1 hour ago, jacobacci said:

I have a dCS Rossini and from the Qobuz Windows Desktop App I can stream via UPnP. It works, but

I am now not too sure what you really want to do. Perhaps I am just being dumb. You have  a Rossini  and use Mosaic to control it. Accessing Qobuz via it is fine.

You also have Qobuz desktop on a Windows PC and stream from this using UPnP but this is not successful. I am unsure what you are streaming to. Is it the Rossini? If so then I would just say use the right tool for the job which is Mosaic ( which actually uses  a type of UPnP which apparently is not strictly standard protocol and is really a dCS proprietary development ).

Now it is well known that the UPnP option on the Qobuz desktop is not great and it is a Beta version that Qobuz have been trying to improve for the last six months at least so far seemingly  unsuccessfully. Many postings on this thread from David Craff refer.

So I think that you are just at a poor point in Qobuz' development for what you want.  At least they are aware of the problem and are trying to deal with it. As your linked posting indicates, the maximum number of favourites and the metadata issues seem to lie not with Qobuz but with their partner users of their api.  Of course if your requests to them are not echoed by sufficient numbers of other users then those companies  will not put any resources into meeting them. I would imagine that for the majority a list of favourites consisting of of over 500 albums and metadata suitable for classical music are not priorities.

Talking of favourites I would mention that although I do keep such a list it mainly consists of new releases that I want to investigate. If I find any of them are genuine favourites  by wanting to stream them three or more times then I buy them and add them to my local files. Why? Because I cannot be certain that either myself or Qobuz will be around in 5 years time. If I am and Qobuz isn't then I still want access to my real favourites and owning them is the only way I can guarantee this.

1 hour ago, jvvita said:

Qobuz upnp has never worked for me. Neither on the ultra rendu, nor with my new Vivaldi upsampler. The best workaround I know, in Android, is to use the “share” function. You use the Qobuz app to navigate. When you find the track/album you want, click on the three dots, instead of play. Select share, and it will send the stream to bubble upnp. Never tried with dcs Mosaic. With bubble, works flawlessly, including hapless.

It worked for a few days but only for a track or two at a time but has failed ever since. I have also tried the bubble workaround on android which is brilliant but I don’t use really use android at the music listening times.  I should know the answer to it but is there an equivalent for windows 10 or iOS? The former is the one I would use most often because I really like the windows 10 Qobuz app experience.

1 hour ago, mourip said:

This may have been covered previously but what is the story if I click on an album from a Qobuz curated playlist which seems to be available  but once the tracks show it says that they are "unavailable" and trying to launch them confirms this.

Qobuz licenses tracks from the record labels. Not all tracks can be licensed for all of the territories that Qobuz serves. The playlists itself may , however, be available to more than single territory. So the compiler may have chosen tracks that are available in his/her territory but which are not in yours. Or the licence for the particular track has been terminated since the playlist was compiled.

On 8/31/2019 at 1:39 AM, firedog said:

Hi-

Recurring issue when I buy downloads and download in the app: no album covers. I get two files that are labelled as small and big covers, but they are 0 size png files - nothing is there. 

Is this a problem with the app? Should I download outside the app?

On 8/31/2019 at 4:42 AM, firedog said:

Not sure what you are trying to say. When I purchase an album, it asks me if I want to download with the app. If I click, it downloads the file to the place on my HD drive I've chosen and the file isn't restricted to play with the app. 

Maybe you are referring to saving - downloading music to the app for local play/streaming instead of purchase? That is something different. 

This is the issue I referring to.

2 hours ago, rando said:
019 at 9:39 AM, firedog said:

Hi-

Recurring issue when I buy downloads and download in the app: no album covers. I get two files that are labelled as small and big covers, but they are 0 size png files - nothing is there. 

Is this a problem with the app? Should I download outside the app

6 hours ago, David Craff said:

Send me the name or link of the release with this issue, please.

It’s happened to me with several albums, I can’t remember exactly which ones. The last one it happened with was Jamie Saft Quartet, “Hidden Corners”. As I said, what happens is that I get two png cover files in the download , but both of them are Zero bits in size. No cover, just a file title in my download folder. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

10 hours ago, rando said:

@firedog

To which I wonder if the app on your device isn't corrupted.  Or at least some peculiarity unique to your device is at fault?

Qobuz says the downloader is a work in progress and several people have reported various difficulties with it. So let's see what happens when an improved version is released.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

10 hours ago, rando said:

@firedog

To which I wonder if the app on your device isn't corrupted.  Or at least some peculiarity unique to your device is at fault?

I already downloaded it a second time and re-installed it; didn’t help.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

57 minutes ago, rando said:

Just troubleshooting in hopes of discovering what might be a leading cause. 

However in this instance the software is acknowledged to have bugs and is being changed, so best to see whether the new version solves any problems. In the meantime the alternative offered by Qobuz, which works perfectly, is to download a compressed tar archive of the files you purchase.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, rando said:

Just troubleshooting in hopes of discovering what might be a leading cause. 

Wouldn't be the first time somebody here created unique problems inside software through means outside it.  Or discovered a circumstance which provokes a glitch.

It also happened to me on two different PCs, so I doubt it's something on my end. 

hello,

i signed up for the studio subscription and my paypal was charged 249.00 dollars. when i play the music it only plays for 20--30 sec. i contacted customer support they said i needed to select a plan, if i do that i'll be charged again. paypal won't delete the original transaction, on 9/1/19, because it's a subscription service.

any suggestions?

thanks,

drmike