IGNORED

Consensus about upsampling to 512 DSD

It may not be 100% or even 80%, but i believe there is a majority concensus for everyone that has tried, that software upsampling your music to DSD 512 ->NOS DAC is best SQ possible.....

Two questions:

1.  What are the different software programs that allow you to do this?

Roon

HQPlayer

Jriver

Any others? 

2.  Is there also a concensus of which software program does it best, or are they all pretty comparable in terms of SQ (not talking interface benefits, SQ only)?

Any DS-type DAC would benifit from upsampling if for no other reason than to skip the SRC. DSD512 using a high end filter (poly-sinc-x) offers the utmost fidelity possible from a DS-type DAC.

The decision in modern DACs should only be about going ladder / multi-bit or going DS. High end ladder DACs are best for PCM sources, but you lose the native DSD playback capability of DS style DACs (oddball DACs like the Holo Spring / Cyan aside). Native DSD recordings are the best quality currently possible in digital audio, but PCM is the vast majority of high-res music.

3 hours ago, GUTB said:

Any DS-type DAC would benifit from upsampling if for no other reason than to skip the SRC.

That depends. The TI/BB DSD1793 performs better with 192 kHz input and SRC enabled than with 384 kHz and SRC bypassed.

14 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

It may not be 100% or even 80%, but i believe there is a majority concensus for everyone that has tried, that software upsampling your music to DSD 512 ->NOS DAC is best SQ possible.....

Two questions:

1.  What are the different software programs that allow you to do this?

Roon

HQPlayer

Jriver

Any others? 

2.  Is there also a concensus of which software program does it best, or are they all pretty comparable in terms of SQ (not talking interface benefits, SQ only)?

XiSRC is another program to upsample to DSD512 offline.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

1 hour ago, mansr said:

That depends. The TI/BB DSD1793 performs better with 192 kHz input and SRC enabled than with 384 kHz and SRC bypassed.

Well it is not so clear, because the digital filter has quite poor stop-band attenuation and high pass-band ripple compared to better ones. So it is quite inaccurate. You can also run the chip with up 768k PCM inputs, depending on configuration.

But since the 3rd order modulator it uses is very simplistic, it also generates spurious tones and such. So it is certainly best running with DSD inputs as that will bypass the modulator too. And then you can run proper digital filters to the maximum DSD rates.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Worthless thread.  A DSD - (whatever) copy of a bad recording sounds like.....well,  a bad recording.

@jabbr has it right.

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

I’m coming to the impression that once upsampled to DSD512, that SQ entirely depends on the analog electronics ...

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

4 hours ago, jabbr said:

I’m coming to the impression that once upsampled to DSD512, that SQ entirely depends on the analog electronics ...

I'd say that analog parts are important for any DSD sample rate.
Digital filtering (in addition to analog one) may be applied though.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

4 hours ago, jabbr said:

an if not upsampled, SQ may still be largely determined by the transducers and the analog electronics ...

I use a tube based euphoniciser to help tie up the pretty ribbons on my system

5 minutes ago, GUTB said:

This is an audiophile topic: non-audiophiles may not get much value from it.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Audiophiles place high value in improving SQ. Upsampling and advanced filters are ways to improve SQ -- and so audiophiles are interested in the topic. Non-audiophiles place low value in improved sound quality. In fact some non-audiophiles place such low value in improving SQ they even state than one DAC isn't very different from any other. Needless to say if you think a USB stick DAC is in the same ballpark as a high end ladder DAC than worrying about Upsampling up-sampling is a waste of time.