IGNORED

Consensus about upsampling to 512 DSD

1 hour ago, WIZARDZ said:

Hi no idea about DSD upsampling but I am wondering since converting songs to DSD512 using XiRSC software have I then upsampled the track basically upscaled it then to DSD512, and is there a way I can improve on this extremely cheaply hardware wise for anything with line out to go between speakers and a device with line out please any help would be greatly appreciated. I create songs using logic pro x but I'd ideally like to also find a way to convert a .WAV 32BIT 192 file to something ultra hi res as well so I can distribute far superior sound files.

I'm not sure what you are asking, but Topping makes several inexpensive DACs that are capable of DSD 512 playback. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, WIZARDZ said:

Hi no idea about DSD upsampling but I am wondering since converting songs to DSD512 using XiRSC software have I then upsampled the track basically upscaled it then to DSD512, and is there a way I can improve on this extremely cheaply hardware wise for anything with line out to go between speakers and a device with line out please any help would be greatly appreciated. I create songs using logic pro x but I'd ideally like to also find a way to convert a .WAV 32BIT 192 file to something ultra hi res as well so I can distribute far superior sound files.

Upscaling it does not create "something ultra hi res" nor does it necessarily create "superior sound files."  In addition, you should include a description of the provenance of your offerings so that your buyers/users/etc. are not misled into thinking that they were recorded in DSD512.   

FWIW, there is absolutely no shame in creating and offering true 32/192 recordings.   and I, for one, would prefer them as such and not up-sampled.  I can do that for myself if I choose to.

Good luck. 

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

47 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Upscaling it does not create "something ultra hi res" nor does it necessarily create "superior sound files."  In addition, you should include a description of the provenance of your offerings so that your buyers/users/etc. are not misled into thinking that they were recorded in DSD512.   

FWIW, there is absolutely no shame in creating and offering true 32/192 recordings.   and I, for one, would prefer them as such and not up-sampled.  I can do that for myself if I choose to.

Good luck. 

Thanks, and yes i am sure it won't be ultra hi res upscaling, but if it is possible to actually make a wav file ultra hi res I would like to know what equipment would be needed to do it, it's for sure better than it ever sounded using xiRSC to upsample it don't ask me why that is but it sounds far superior to the original wav file?

2 hours ago, firedog said:

I'm not sure what you are asking, but Topping makes several inexpensive DACs that are capable of DSD 512 playback. 

I am asking is using XiRSC upscaling (upsampling) the wav source when choosing to convert into DSD512 1bit basically, the other question is can a .wav be converted to a better kind of DSD512 conversion using some kind of mix of hardware to convert as apposed to say just the XiRSC software program please?

• 7 months later...

Having good success with roon upsampling pcm to dsd 256. That is roon on qnap hs-453dx to sonore optical rendu (via ether regen)to mytek brooklyn bridge. Digital volume sounds terrible on mytek brooklyn bridge even at 60. Curiously, roon seems to still apply pcm filters to dsd upsampling. Don’t understand how this works, but I do have a favorite. Straight pcm or pcm upsampling is various flavors of irritating. MQA is fine much of the time, but significantly behind dsd upsampling. Canceled Tidal. Filtering dsd only in mytek and not roon seemed to create a small amount of ease. I prefer the 7th order sigma delta modulator. Can’t go back to pcm alone. Also, these improvements were not as easily apparent until gain staging. Backing the mytek off 6db in xlr brought great improvement in signal quality. Just had to crank up the JC5 to suit. Cheers,,

9 minutes ago, Gr8tful said:

Having good success with roon upsampling pcm to dsd 256. That is roon on qnap hs-453dx to sonore optical rendu (via ether regen)to mytek brooklyn bridge. Digital volume sounds terrible on mytek brooklyn bridge even at 60. Curiously, roon seems to still apply pcm filters to dsd upsampling. Don’t understand how this works, but I do have a favorite. Straight pcm or pcm upsampling is various flavors of irritating. MQA is fine much of the time, but significantly behind dsd upsampling. Canceled Tidal. Filtering dsd only in mytek and not roon seemed to create a small amount of ease. I prefer the 7th order sigma delta modulator. Can’t go back to pcm alone. Also, these improvements were not as easily apparent until gain staging. Backing the mytek off 6db in xlr brought great improvement in signal quality. Just had to crank up the JC5 to suit. Cheers,,

Have you tried letting HQP do the upsampling instead of Roon?

No electron left behind.