IGNORED

Consensus about upsampling to 512 DSD

34 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

So far, I am yet to see an improvement from up sampling.

I would like some details on your experience:  What DAC?  What interface? What software program and what type of oversampling?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

22 hours ago, Em2016 said:

No such thing as a free lunch though. From Mr. DSD:

"With a clear improvement from doubling the sample rate of single DSD, it seems natural and, of course, tempting to quadruple the sample rate or go even higher. We should expect the same or similar improvement as from simply doubling the sampling rate again, right?

Not so fast! It turns out there are physical limitations such as electronic component speeds, finite clock slopes, etc., that limit the amount of performance gain we could expect from raising the sample rate above a certain threshold. Such limitations are indeed starting to affect performance with quad DSD in D/A converters. Side effects in the form of audible noise and distortion are creeping into our audio band with quad DSD, greatly overshadowing the small benefit of the noise shaper curve starting at 80kHz. This, of course, is only apparent in D/A converters that convert the DSD signal directly into analog without any conversion to PCM or other digital filtering. To avoid this the quad DSD signal would have to be low-pass filtered and/or converted to PCM before converting it to analog."

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/raising-the-sample-rate-of-dsd-is-there-a-sweet-spot/

Some might accuse me to jump on a "hot" topic but...

any experience with laptop cooling mats

recommendation ? are they sonorous or noisy, interfere with SQ as being plugged on a USB port ?

I don't think I'm out of subject : upsampling to 128 + convolving causes heat issues yet. Pretty sure upsampling to 512 makes the computer run hot hot. It's damn exceptionally hot these days where I live (I don't know of a single person with air conditioning ; people usually complain about rain and chilly evenings even in summer) and I just can't run HQP for more than one or two tracks before my MBP 15" 's fans run high  while I don't have temperature issue at this moment, typing under OSX (when I listen I go Windows server) : it's definitely a upsampling/convolving issue.

tried to switch off ParkControl (Bitsum high profile) but I get exposed to stuttering with a "Balanced" setting". 

2 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Some might accuse me to jump on a "hot" topic but...

any experience with laptop cooling mats

recommendation ? are they sonorous or noisy, interfere with SQ as being plugged on a USB port ?

I'm not familiar with that flavour of snake oil. Could you give a link to an example or two?

10 minutes ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Oh, not an audio thing. I always assume audio related accessories are snake oil unless there's reason to believe otherwise.

If your laptop is overheating, I suppose increasing the airflow around it might help. Many CPUs have thermal throttling, meaning they slow down if they run too hot. This could lead to stuttering when running a demanding upsampling. If that's not happening, the only thing one of these coolers will do soundwise is add fan noise.

1 hour ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

It did not work for me.  That does not mean it will not work for anyone else.  Grace M9xx DAC on Win & Mac.

Looks like it’s only DSD128 at best. Hard to say but doesn’t really allow too much upsampling ??‍♂️

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

If that's not happening, the only thing one of these coolers will do soundwise is add fan noise.

To combine two threads, it’s possible that the vibration from the cooling pad sitting on the lap creates a more pleasing listening environment ?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Oh, not an audio thing. I always assume audio related accessories are snake oil unless there's reason to believe otherwise.

If your laptop is overheating, I suppose increasing the airflow around it might help. Many CPUs have thermal throttling, meaning they slow down if they run too hot. This could lead to stuttering when running a demanding upsampling. If that's not happening, the only thing one of these coolers will do soundwise is add fan noise.

Laptops have a "fatal flaw" - at least the ones I've used. There is no air filter anywhere in the moving air path - which means the cooling fins steadily get plugged up with gunk. In the places where it's impossible to physically get at this dust to remove it. And the fan works harder and harder, trying to push air through this muck ...

One laptop I took to pieces, now and again, when the fan speed went through the roof. And cleaned out the debris. Ahhh, relief ... ! With the current one, tipping it on its side so the fan outlet is uppermost, and blasting through that with a hand air puffer for quite a while forces enough of the dirt to go back out the way it came - lasts for about a year.

2 hours ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

It did not work for me.  That does not mean it will not work for anyone else.  Grace M9xx DAC on Win & Mac.

What software? It's not as if all upsampling is the same. It isn't by a long stretch. Even then it comes down to the right filter choice. If you did your upsampling with something like iTunes, your answer would come as no surprise. In that you state the DAC and operating system and not the upsampling software indicates that you may not have delved too deeply.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Every audio rig, in its current state, is unique. There will never be universal answers as to what to do, which are most effective "for making the sound better" - there will always be a number of things which will be extremely cost effective to implement, if one is a good detective in being able to hear the variations when experiments are tried.

2 hours ago, 4est said:

What software? It's not as if all upsampling is the same. It isn't by a long stretch. Even then it comes down to the right filter choice. If you did your upsampling with something like iTunes, your answer would come as no surprise. In that you state the DAC and operating system and not the upsampling software indicates that you may not have delved too deeply.

What's your problem?  It doesn't work here.  It might work for you, but don't give me the third degree.

7 hours ago, mansr said:

scenario A : no cooling pad ; scenario B : with.

If in B you can upsample more or set more demanding filters in your favorite player, then B yields a different (better) sound and thus a cooling pad will end up being dubbed a computer audio gear  ! ?(provided it's silent enough and does not make the computer noisier, in John Swenson's acception of the term)...

I ordered one...

On 6/24/2018 at 11:36 PM, Kal Rubinson said:

I do not upsample either nor do I use NOS DACs.

Would it be correct to say that you upsample in the DAC not with music processing/playing software?

If so, then you do up-/oversample.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

14 hours ago, barrows said:

I would like some details on your experience:  What DAC?  What interface? What software program and what type of oversampling?

9 hours ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

What's your problem?  It doesn't work here.  It might work for you, but don't give me the third degree.

His problem is your failure to state what "it" is.  You needed to indicate whether you use oversampling software, i.e. external to your DAC.  Slipped past you, did it?  Let's try again.  Have you been using external oversampling software?   

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

4 hours ago, semente said:

Would it be correct to say that you upsample in the DAC not with music processing/playing software?

If so, then you do up-/oversample.

Yes, indeed.  My statement that I do not use an NOS DAC says so implicitly.  However, I do not set my rendering software to apply any upsampling to its output and, thus, I do not use any up/oversampling software external to my DACs.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

1 hour ago, Sam Lord said:

His problem is your failure to state what "it" is.  You needed to indicate whether you use oversampling software, i.e. external to your DAC.  Slipped past you, did it?  Let's try again.  Have you been using external oversampling software?   

This place is really creepy.