IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

7 minutes ago, esldude said:

You are leaving out his saying those who disagreed with his mastering were old. 

And snobs too. He appeared to have an inability to accept differences of taste. To him, a person saying a particular artist or art form wasn't to one's taste meant in his world that you despised (rather than merely did not choose) that option. That's a fairly pernicious perceptual distortion.

58 minutes ago, esldude said:

No, I don't agree.  You are leaving out his saying those who disagreed with his mastering were old. 

To be fair, given that the main examples people were giving of good mastering were Nightfly (released 35 years ago) and Crime of the Century (released 43 years ago) he may have had a point.

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Im guessing you missed most of his posts and the post where I offered to meet him in Los Angeles because I was sure we got off on the wrong foot. 

I think I *did* read most of those. My recollection is one or two from *you* criticized his role in the loudness war. For sure, there were several over-the-top flames directed at Lucey that you failed to moderate. In fact, you didn't see any problem whatsoever. Isn't it weird that manufacturers and professionals, who come to share their knowledge, are pilloried and often driven off this these fora? But, hey, it's your blog.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

7 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I wish BL could have got over his preconceived notions of audiophiles and had a normal discussion because most of the people in this thread were on his bandwagon and supported his cause. It's hard to believe that he could take an audience who liked him, wanted to learn from him, and supported him, and make them think the opposite. 

I like how PeterSt put it:

"Snowflakes are really of a different kind. No potential in a snowflake."

MQA almost seemed to be a tangent for him as he was really interested in pounding the audiophile "myths" of DR and sample rates into submission.  I agree that DR can become a fetish, etc. but it is a real aspect of all music (even modern hip stuff) as well and thus not a "myth"...

As to the point of this thread and concerning Part-Time Audiophile, does it really even pretend to be a independant & a reporting mechanism of some sort?  At some point I ended up on their email list and they send me several postings a week.  Occasionally I will click on one, and it is all marketing/promotional copy in that late night TV 30 minute infomercial sort of way.  I have just been assuming that the whole enterprise is infomercial, but perhaps I am wrong...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

The evidence is in the "spin-off" thread. One post questioned whether we could believe anything Lucey said given that his masterings were, in the opinion of the poster, overly compressed. Your participation there seemed only to fan the flames - I missed the part were you told esldude to dial it back. As I wrote in that thread:

LOL, yeah, none of you are "attacking" Brian Lucey. You're merely giving him unsolicited critiques of how he's doing his job wrong. Each of you would be totally cool with random people giving uninformed critiques of your work, right?

I often learn quite a lot when manufacturers and professionals post on the audiophile blogs (I'm really going to miss posts from Charles Hansen). Yes, no one should be put on a pedestal, but neither should they be targeted for harsh criticisms or assumed to have nefarious motives because of how they make a living. It is unfortunate, IMO, that you do not see any problem on this website regarding the latter behavior.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

48 minutes ago, crenca said:

I like how PeterSt put it:

"Snowflakes are really of a different kind. No potential in a snowflake."

MQA almost seemed to be a tangent for him as he was really interested in pounding the audiophile "myths" of DR and sample rates into submission.  I agree that DR can become a fetish, etc. but it is a real aspect of all music (even modern hip stuff) as well and thus not a "myth"...

As to the point of this thread and concerning Part-Time Audiophile, does it really even pretend to be a independant & a reporting mechanism of some sort?  At some point I ended up on their email list and they send me several postings a week.  Occasionally I will click on one, and it is all marketing/promotional copy in that late night TV 30 minute infomercial sort of way.  I have just been assuming that the whole enterprise is infomercial, but perhaps I am wrong...

Reading The Part Time Audiophile is like watching ads on the Golf Channel. And I like Scot Hull. I will get on an airplane and attend a service when he gets a church.

28 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

One post questioned whether we could believe anything Lucey said given that his masterings were, in the opinion of the poster, overly compressed.

One post. Big deal. Plus, questioning someone isn’t a bad thing. People in this thread are questioning Bob Stuart and MQA. Are you upset with this?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

15 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Reading The Part Time Audiophile is like watching ads on the Golf Channel. And I like Scot Hull. I will get on an airplane and attend a service when he gets a church.

I'd never visited the site before but I see what you mean. At least Stereophile and the other trade rags try to have some Chinese wall between editorial content and advertising. 

5a3be94b645de_ScreenShot2017-12-21at9_01_58AM.thumb.png.ee34f06c688f48a0518c8030dc30d252.png

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

13 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Stephen, FYI :

I've had private email conversations with Peter just the same and all I can say that I don't have any proof that I was invited to any Facebook group (I should be pro-MQA). Maybe I missed it.

Peter you didn’t convince him you are pro MQA. He would see you as an unreliable ally. You cannot be counted on to support Bob Stuart and MQA without turning the conversation to your ideas, software and products. I’m fine with you promoting your ideas and promoting your stuff here but anybody can see they are more important to you than MQA is.

57 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

The evidence is in the "spin-off" thread. One post questioned whether we could believe anything Lucey said given that his masterings were, in the opinion of the poster, overly compressed. Your participation there seemed only to fan the flames - I missed the part were you told esldude to dial it back. As I wrote in that thread:

LOL, yeah, none of you are "attacking" Brian Lucey. You're merely giving him unsolicited critiques of how he's doing his job wrong. Each of you would be totally cool with random people giving uninformed critiques of your work, right?

I often learn quite a lot when manufacturers and professionals post on the audiophile blogs (I'm really going to miss posts from Charles Hansen). Yes, no one should be put on a pedestal, but neither should they be targeted for harsh criticisms or assumed to have nefarious motives because of how they make a living. It is unfortunate, IMO, that you do not see any problem on this website regarding the latter behavior.

I guess you missed his rants about audiophiles "not getting it" for wanting some dynamic range.  His antipathy for audiophiles was palpable.  He said something like he came here to "speak truth", not "make friends".  In that context, I think it's perfectly reasonable to delve into the target demographics that BL's clients try to reach and discuss what devices those people use to consume their music.  One look at BL's client list and it's pretty clear that music isn't made for audiophiles.  Is it rude to discuss that?

I 'spose it could just be a coincidence that there is much more professional participation (Curl, Hansen, Khomenko, Karsten, Jim Smith, Rankin, et al.) over on AudioAsylum where the posts are more carefully moderated.

On 12/7/2017 at 11:33 PM, synn said:

Blind test completed.

I added all three tracks into a folder, set it to play in random and put the player in my pocket for a good hour or so. I lost track of the number of times I heard the song play, but it was a LOT. Now and then, I took the player out of the pocket and checked the screen to see if I got the format correct.

I picked the MQA file correctly every single time. Towards the end of the test I didn't even need to take the player out, I just knew when the MQA file was on.

The file overall sounds very brittle compared to the PCM and DSD versions. The highs have a certain "Cheesegrater" quality to it, which is quite evident in my test track with some prominent percussion and wind instrumentation. The PCM and especially, DSD files feel much more mellow in comparison. I felt that the MQA sounded a bit more compressed as well, but I can't say this with certain authority. No no no, do not want.

So overall, I have decided to give MQA a miss. No thank you. If I wanted grating highs, I'd buy an old Philips CD player and some Grados.

I should also add that I found the DSD file very pleasant. I should be spending a bit more time with the DSD format and give it a fair shake, which I haven't really done till now.

Were the 3 tracks all from the same 'album'?

It's possible that some other album sounds better with MQA

but...  why bother is the issue

Lucey didn't follow audiophile forum etiquette. Given his background, his posts made a lot of sense and his impatience understandable. How do you curb your arguments for a group of people who think debating MQA merits hundreds of pages despite that no matter what angle you're coming from it's been easily discredited? I mean, from an outside perspective it has to look ridiculous. It's like the People's Front of Judea vs. The Judean People's Front bit from Life of Brian. Who in their right mind has patience for that?