IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 minutes ago, Brian Lucey said:

They are the same files here, less 8 bits.

Actually, they aren't the same. Look at the images.

The first is 24/44.1 version and second is the 16/44.1 Redbook version. 

I'm guessing that the latter is your work.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I let adults be adults. But, when they act like children they get banned. Bye Brian. 

I'm surprised he lasted this long. :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Well, that was a quick flame out.  Too bad.  We could have learned some good stuff rather than learn about his personality.  I wonder if this contempt for listeners is prevalent in the industry, or if he just got his buttons pushed.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I just clicked on some audiophile click bait and the site owner was claiming that MQA is much farther along at this point in its career (3 years) than DSD was at this point and is today.  In other words it has more of a market presence/impact/share than DSD.  

I suppose this might be true because of Tidal, but simply because the X number of MQA processed albums are up on Tidal does not mean that these are having any real impact.  Are they leading to $sales$ of some sort, such as Tidal subscriptions (because of MQA) or DAC's purchased specifically for MQA?  I suspect besides some bleeding edge audiophiles, very very few are specifically ordering MQA DAC's because of the MQA capability of said DACS.  It might be a feature, but it is not actually attracting real sales.  

Anyone have any hard data?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

25 minutes ago, crenca said:

Anyone have any hard data?

There must be companies that analyze sales data and trends for various segments of the audio industry and sell reports to manufacturers.  Anyone know which companies do that?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

15 minutes ago, MetalNuts said:

IMHO, he has been given so many chances.  People here expected that by his profession, he could enlighten us with knowledge how the mastering work but I believe to the disappointment of most people here, they were just treated rudely without any courtesy from him.   I find it most disturbing is his attitude of claiming to know but refused to share those matters people here are curious.  If we were fools here, I don't see the reason why he has been here so long blaming the fools here know nothing.  I am confused who actually is the fool.

I try not to over analyze things like this. We have no idea what's going on in his life or if he's always like this. I like to give people a break but he was pushing it. 

1 hour ago, Mordikai said:

I try not to over analyze things like this. We have no idea what's going on in his life or if he's always like this. I like to give people a break but he was pushing it. 

It is not an excuse not to treat people normally like any civilized person would by reason of what one has experienced in his life unless those people made him suffered and he comes here to pay them back.   If this is an excuse, no wonder there being so many shootings killing innocent people.  I do not think it right to have any sympathy with the shooter, all my sympathy are with the victims and their family.

MetalNuts

3 hours ago, rickca said:

Well, that was a quick flame out.  Too bad.  We could have learned some good stuff rather than learn about his personality.  I wonder if this contempt for listeners is prevalent in the industry, or if he just got his buttons pushed.

Probably a good time to remind you Paul Klipsch didn't like audiophiles. And in the seventies when audio was popular audiophiles  were still a small part of the market for high performance audio. 

What is prevelant in the industry is everything is coming through amplifiers. 

2 hours ago, MetalNuts said:

It is not an excuse not to treat people normally like any civilized person would by reason of what one has experienced in his life unless those people made him suffered and he comes here to pay them back.   If this is an excuse, no wonder there being so many shootings killing innocent people.  I do not think it right to have any sympathy with the shooter, all my sympathy are with the victims and their family.

Dude-  I said " I like to give people a break". I was not making an excuse for him, he can make his own. Second, wtf are you talking about? This is an audio chat room, he was unpleasant, bfd!  How is what I said equivalent to sympathizing with mass shooters? I was trying to say it's a waste of time to psychoanalyze over the internet.

19 hours ago, labjr said:

I'm getting to the age where I would describe myself more as a biscuit.

Very very funny - thanks for the laugh. It only took 238 pages but was worth the wait!!:$

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

2 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Paul Klipsch didn't like audiophiles

What was the difference between the customers Klipsch cultivated and the audiophiles he disliked?  During his heyday, Klipsch speakers were expensive and purchased only by people serious about stereo gear.  That was long before Mark Levinson, TAS, etc. invented modern "audiophilia".

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

OK, lets try nudging this back on topic.:(

I am not sure if this has been picked up elsewhere, but I spotted this very un-vapourware sounding announcement regarding Oppo and MQA.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oppo-announces-support-for-mqa/

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/11/oppo-digital-add-mqa-support-to-udp-205/

I note that TAS appear to be happy to quote the press release verbatim, probably no surprise based on previous observations noted in this thread.  Good news for fans of Oppo and Tidal I guess, love or loathe MQA, at least it give Oppo users the flexibility to play MQA if they want to.  

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

1 hour ago, Mordikai said:

Dude-  I said " I like to give people a break". I was not making an excuse for him, he can make his own. Second, wtf are you talking about? This is an audio chat room, he was unpleasant, bfd!  How is what I said equivalent to sympathizing with mass shooters? I was trying to say it's a waste of time to psychoanalyze over the internet.

I am sorry if I have mistaken what you meant by what you wrote.

I was given to understand that you want to give people a break (that's for sure) and you suggest we have to consider his experience in the past which may justify how he behaves (is it not a proposed excuse or way out for him? then what is it? a defence or justification). 

I don't think I should or justify myself go F***** people in a forum because I had a bad experience in the past and people in the forum (may be you are excepted) would tolerate my F******* by my past experience (how would they know I have a bad past experience?). 

MetalNuts

58 minutes ago, Confused said:

I note that TAS appear to be happy to quote the press release verbatim, probably no surprise based on previous observations noted in this thread.  

I think you are viewing everything through the lens of perceived conspiracy, it's pretty normal to quote press releases verbatim in the news section of audio media; it's not claiming to be a review of the Oppo.

9 hours ago, Brian Lucey said:

So you're saying Audiophiles are one thing?   I was seeing it that way too but this site opened me eyes, you're not all a bunch of dynamics snobs listening to 80s style perfection based recording styles and musics.

Hey, slow down there friend.

I am an audiophile and I'm listening mainly to music styles from the late XVIII to early XX century in recordings from the late 40s to the our very day.

Some recordings are good, some are bad, irregardless of the date they were made.

I am perhaps a bit of a (musical) snob when it comes to the music but I do listen to some terrible recordings of wonderful music performances.

At the moment I haven't got a single (audiophile) recording that I bought because of sound quality alone or over music/performance quality.

In fact I find that to be the problem with many audiophile lables: the sound is good but there isn't a single record that I would like to buy from them.

As for pop & rock, I have some recordings of stuff from the 80s and 90s because that was the time I was listening to the genre.

Nowadays I hardly ever listen to it and I buy perhaps one or two recordings a year; these past 3 years I only bought "A Moon Shaped Pool".

I have no complaints over tonal balance of this album and the dynamic range is rather narrow but acceptable for the genre, but the gain/loudness is just absurd.

This is the second track:

Untitled.thumb.png.8f17be47f93a19026de7c24a62e33e1f.png

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

8 hours ago, kumakuma said:

I'm surprised he lasted this long. :)

Hi,

This is a shame - Brian had some very good points to state on the industry. Despite the personal exchanges, he was telling it like it is - High Resolution is a rip off, MQA is a con, remasters are just a money spinning exercise, and dynamic range is not the be all and end all.

On the upper 8bits being clean - someone else on another forum showed this - 24bit recordings, the 8 upper bits were clear. We should not have to check that we are being conned.

Regards,

Shadders.