IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

44 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

He wasn’t banned for his criticism. He was banned for calling people fools and idiots, despite several warnings and friendly attempts to get him to stop the personal attacks. I have one set of rules. If you can’t play by them I have to ban your account

He was calling the people who were calling him names idiots and fools. I suggest that calling someone a whore is several steps worse than calling someone a fool.

But anyway, it's your show and you can do what you like. But I really feel he's been unfairly treated on this thread and I'm surprised he stayed around. 

57 minutes ago, Melvin said:

Mr. Lucey's banning is the most disappointing turn of events I've seen on CA in quite some time. Chris obviously has his standards but this dude has serious credentials. Another one gone ...

Your disappointment should be directed at him. Many people tried to encourage civil discussions with him, but he refused. 

No matter one’s credentials, one can’t treat people like dirt and get away with it. 

With respect to credentials, I’m guessing you’re referring to the number of albums he has mastered? 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, Traildog said:

He was calling the people who were calling him names idiots and fools. I suggest that calling someone a whore is several steps worse than calling someone a fool.

But anyway, it's your show and you can do what you like. But I really feel he's been unfairly treated on this thread and I'm surprised he stayed around. 

Please show me the post calling him a whore and I will happily enforce the same standards. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 hours ago, Shadders said:

On the upper 8bits being clean - someone else on another forum showed this - 24bit recordings, the 8 upper bits were clear. We should not have to check that we are being conned.

Can you point me to a reference to this?

I checked the Shania recording I mentioned above and the 8 upper bits of the 24/44.1 release are NOT clear as you can see in the Bit Monitor in upper left hand corner:

5a217a2a3c837_01.SwinginWithMyEyesClosed.flac_report_2.thumb.png.7a02739e6d6894ab5090dfbfd0907828.png

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

20 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Can you point me to a reference to this?

I checked the Shania recording I mentioned above and the 8 upper bits of the 24/44.1 release are NOT clear as you can see in the Bit Monitor in upper left hand corner:

5a217a2a3c837_01.SwinginWithMyEyesClosed.flac_report_2.thumb.png.7a02739e6d6894ab5090dfbfd0907828.png

Hi kumakuma,

It was another forum, and not the Shania Twain recording. I will try and locate it - was about 5 years ago now.

EDIT - Just checked - the forum was upgraded 1 year ao and all posts preceding this are now gone.

Regards,

Shadders.

2 hours ago, psjug said:

Well Tidal is tiny and losing market share.  And of the Tidal subscribers, a couple million at most, I doubt very many are specifically wanting to stream MQA.  Maybe a couple hundred thousand at most? 

Notice that Tidals introduction of MQA streaming (beginning of 2017) did not give any bump.  In fact Tidal's trend looks worse than the overall industry for first half of 2017.

If Deezer follows through with offering MQA it will help (MQA) but you could still they will be in the vaporware realm.

quarterly-trends-midia-figure-2.png

From https://musicindustryblog.wordpress.com/

Holy crap, look at Youtube!!!  The actual blog post that graphic comes from is here.

And I didn't expect to see Amazon Prime Music ahead of Apple Music for streaming.  Overall, this is a really depressing bit of truth for audiophiles.

9 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Holy crap, look at Youtube!!!  The actual blog post that graphic comes from is here.

And I didn't expect to see Amazon Prime Music ahead of Apple Music for streaming.  Overall, this is a really depressing bit of truth for audiophiles.

I have noticed when discussing music with my non-audiophile friends and family that besides the car, YouTube is almost always their source...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

10 minutes ago, mansr said:

Amazon Prime Music is part of the bigger Prime package. I suspect many, if not most, subscribe to Prime for other reasons than the music streaming.

Amazon Prime members get a discount but still have to pay $7.99/mo for Amazon Music Unlimited (in addition to the prime membership fee).

7 minutes ago, wushuliu said:

Which is why I don't fault Lucey for his perspective. We make up .00000notworthit of the streaming community. Difference is we are willing to pay whatever it takes for any shiny new object

Let's be clear, it's been 4 years. By any mainstream metric, MQA is dead in the water. Same as DSD. But for this micro-niche community, slapping the logo on a product and buying a license means you can have a new product cycle, added value, and a whole new infusion of cash that makes the licensing cost worth it.

It's easy money, and for that I don't blame the audio companies. The trade reporting and audiophile community response however, have no excuse. I have never seen a topic over which both objective-minded AND subjective-minded people have been in such agreement: MQA is a scam.

I think we agree.  My only issue is that in his zeal to (correctly IMHO) point to the misinformation about MQA, he apparently missed the second word of the title of this site/forum: Audiophile.  And while I would be lying to say I've never coveted a shiny audio object, I would like to think that I'm somewhat discriminating regarding precisely which shiny object I'm coveting.  A distinction without a difference, perhaps.

50 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Also, the chart doesn't include Pandora Premium, which is too new for that timeframe.  I think Pandora Premium is probably #5 already, even though it only streams at 192kbps max!   I do worry that high quality is so unimportant to most people that CD quality  or better streaming might go away in a few years if Tidal, Deezer, Qobuz, etc can't make money to stay afloat.

41 minutes ago, crenca said:

I have noticed when discussing music with my non-audiophile friends and family that besides the car, YouTube is almost always their source...

yes, and do they complain much about the audio quality? My guess would be no. Most people don't care about the quality of the playback, if the tune is catchy they listen.

So MQA = niche Audiophile product, which many Audiophiles hate and is actually lossy and is probably a drm scheme. Wow I don't see how it can lose.

1 hour ago, psjug said:

Amazon Prime members get a discount but still have to pay $7.99/mo for Amazon Music Unlimited (in addition to the prime membership fee).

Amazon Prime Music is not the same as Amazon Music Unlimited. The former is part of the Prime package and gives access to a limited catalogue. The latter is a separate subscription (with a discount for Prime members) and includes their full catalogue.

11 minutes ago, mansr said:

Amazon Prime Music is not the same as Amazon Music Unlimited. The former is part of the Prime package and gives access to a limited catalogue. The latter is a separate subscription (with a discount for Prime members) and includes their full catalogue.

You are correct.  Thanks for catching that.  Similarly, I think what I saw for Pandora subscriber numbers probably included their lower cost services along with Pandora Premium.

25 minutes ago, mansr said:

I'd like to add my experience to this.  Over the years, I have purchased a LOT of CD's from Amazon.  Almost every one of those titles is available to me in the Amazon Music app.  But I've never signed up for Amazon Prime Music (I am a regular Prime member).  My point is they're probably counting me as a "subscriber", even though I'm not really.

Before I hit the submit button on this post, I launched the Amazon Music app on my iPhone.  I have access to "stations" (like Pandora) that play all kinds of content outside of my purchased CDs, but there is no "on demand" playing of content there.  There is a separate "My Music" section that contains all the tracks from all the CDs I have purchased.  It looks like I also get limited access to new releases that are covered by my Prime membership (small Prime logo next to the tracks).

I'll just bet they're counting me as a "subscriber".