IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

16 minutes ago, esldude said:

Here is the post where the term was used.  I will point out I tried in several posts to create a bridge of conversation with BL.  He obviously has zero interest in that.  The whore comment wasn't so much to say he was one.  But to point out if one wanted to to pre-judge someone, there were plenty of ways to pre-judge his activities in negative light.  The very ways he thought gave him credibility.  That he had so many clients we should all quit complaining and listen to the wise Brian Lucey mastering genius extraordinaire. In context of a few posts between he and I it was meant to try one more time to get his attention as being subtle wasn't working.  Reading back over it I think that context wasn't very clear. 

If Chris thinks that should result in a ban, then okay. 

I'll use the same rules with you as I did Brian. 

This is a warning.

P.S. I always give people warnings and hope to come out with a win-win in the long run. I don't need to tell you about personal attacks and I totally understand your context. With Brian things were much different, but the same rules applied. He received warnings. Hell, I even offered to meet with him next week while I'm in Los Angeles. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'll use the same rules with you as I did Brian. 

This is a warning.

P.S. I always give people warnings and hope to come out with a win-win in the long run. I don't need to tell you about personal attacks and I totally understand your context. With Brian things were much different, but the same rules applied. He received warnings. Hell, I even offered to meet with him next week while I'm in Los Angeles. 

Alright.  Thanks Chris.  I'll be more circumspect in future comments.  Should have just put BL on ignore. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 minutes ago, rando said:

There might be something to this subject after all.  I found much more clarity appeared during the second unfold. 

Just maybe I will go out and rebuy my music to fully capture the magic!

Good luck with that. Neither my reference albums or the six albums available in Europe I mentioned a couple months ago are all available in the Valley of the Sun yet.

On 30.11.2017 at 10:49 AM, semente said:

How do you know whether or not 22/44.1 or 24/48 isn't THE real master quality for that particular file?

Of course, I don't know it for any particular album (file), I expressed my general impression. There are many artists who published their new albums in the recent years in 24/88.2 or even higher resolutions and now switched to 24/44.1 or /48 with their latest album. What may be the reason?

By the way Brian Lucey is not the only experienced mastering engineer who posts on public or closed forums. Guys like Bruce Botnick, Bob Katz or Bob Ludwig (before he was on the payroll of MQA) have told other stories about HiRes recordings and mastering. Conversations with several other mastering engineers at the previous HighEnd Shows in Munich confirmed that 24/44.1 is not the standard in recording, mixing and mastering nowadays.

48 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

even the cheer leaders could tell the difference between Advent Loudspeakers, AR-3a’s and JBL L-100’s.

This is the coolest thing I’ve ever read on this forum. Sorry for going off topic but it deserves kudos. Most importantly, the cheer leaders deserve major kudos.

5 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

even the cheer leaders could tell the difference between Advent Loudspeakers, AR-3a’s and JBL L-100’s.

And which one did they prefer?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

19 hours ago, #Yoda# said:

Of course, I don't know it for any particular album (file), I expressed my general impression. There are many artists who published their new albums in the recent years in 24/88.2 or even higher resolutions and now switched to 24/44.1 or /48 with their latest album. What may be the reason?

By the way Brian Lucey is not the only experienced mastering engineer who posts on public or closed forums. Guys like Bruce Botnick, Bob Katz or Bob Ludwig (before he was on the payroll of MQA) have told other stories about HiRes recordings and mastering. Conversations with several other mastering engineers at the previous HighEnd Shows in Munich confirmed that 24/44.1 is not the standard in recording, mixing and mastering nowadays.

Yes, what is the reason?  At some point in the past few years, independently of the promise of MQA, did the labels/artists become self aware of their "crown jewels" problematic?  Did the DRM segregation of standard vs. "hi res" promise of MQA become something to adjust to (i.e. they decided to stop releasing "hi res" in PCM)?  Something other reason entirely?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

3 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

and not have rooms.

Good idea. New means of huge cost saving ?

Would the organizers allow such a thing ? Could even be done outside.

This is what you referred to, right ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

Good idea. New means of huge cost saving ?

Would the organizers allow such a thing ? Could even be done outside.

This is what you referred to, right ?

At the shows I go to foot traffic is very high in the CanJam area. 

I was with the orgianzer of the Los Angeles Audio Show when vendor said they were not getting show rooms. 

Something I just posted on Audio Asylum.

Dear John (Atkinson Editor Stereophile),

As the time for the January issue of Stereophile approaches I want to remind you and Jim MQA technology has already been analyzed and discussed. The agenda for debating MQA was set in January of this year so there was no need for me to frame the debate about MQA and its technology for Jim’s series.  As I said in my Dear Jim post a decision was made that MQA would have to be analyzed by people outside the audio industry.

What I put in my November 14, 2017 Dear Jim post are hurdles. The same hurdles my profession uses.  Are you competent to write this series?  Next hurdle will you look at both sides of the claims made by MQA Ltd for and against their technology and look at other alternatives? Third hurdle can you exercise professional judgement about the facts and the claims made? Only if you can clear these hurdles can you write an article and have the possibility of arriving at an objective conclusion.

I gave Jim some examples of topics that need to be covered. You wrote about Charley Hansen’s alternative to some of the issues MQA is claiming to solve. Peter St maker of XXHigh End wrote about his filters and mitchco wrote about Audiolense software and its filters on Computer Audiophile in the past week. It doesn’t seem to be hard to find alternatives to MQA.

Take care,

Stephen

4 hours ago, synn said:

its about the size of a credit card holder. Sounds rather nice, but this is the second device with ESS Saber chips that I have found to sound rather clinical. I wonder if that’s their signature.

That is their reputation, as it appears to be a trait no matter the implementation.  Is it a higher end tilt?

No doubt someone will post the exception however ;)

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!