IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

9 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Part of the point of going to the Extreme is to leverage Emile’s tuning and optimizations, so I don’t  see this box as a test bed for experiments like I would a DIY server! So no, I haven’t tried the JCAT Net Card Femto.

One of the reasons for the minimal network penalty during local playback is that Emile has tuned the driver settings on the Ethernet adapter to achieve this. I risk losing this by going to another card.

As for trying the Fiber NIC on the Extreme, yes I did compare early on and preferred my fiber further upstream. :) I’ve found Emile’s advice of using fiber on at least one leg of the chain to be very sound.

Again, thank you for this info! 

Has anyone tried from Ghent Audio the Gotham GAC-4/1 11301 ultraPro XLR with JSSG360 ?

I am back to separates and i was considering this cable to connect between the Preamp & Amp or DAC & Preamp, i have a tellurium Ultra Black II XLR which is very open and transparent but i am considering something neutral-to warm side for this new one, i would not like to spend too much so i am looking for something really good at a very fair price.

Thanks !

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

19 hours ago, austinpop said:

Part of the point of going to the Extreme is to leverage Emile’s tuning and optimizations, so I don’t  see this box as a test bed for experiments like I would a DIY server! So no, I haven’t tried the JCAT Net Card Femto.

One of the reasons for the minimal network penalty during local playback is that Emile has tuned the driver settings on the Ethernet adapter to achieve this. I risk losing this by going to another card.

As for trying the Fiber NIC on the Extreme, yes I did compare early on and preferred my fiber further upstream. :) I’ve found Emile’s advice of using fiber on at least one leg of the chain to be very sound.

Speaking of fiber, rumor has it that the Finisar SFPs are better than the Planet Techs. Any intention to give them a shot?

I bought the

FTLF1324

I then bought the

FTLF1318

In all honesty I heard no difference whatsoever and didn't really expect to. But I read they were better so upgraded to the 1318s 😁

The 1324 are available. PM me if interested.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

On 6/29/2020 at 6:22 AM, John769 said:

The other version, praised on WBF, was FTLF1324P2BTL-MC LW?

There are currently refurbished ones going for less than 8 euros on ebay (EU), if anyone wants to try.  

I just bought a pair of new FTLX1471D3BCV 10GB/1GB for even less than that, just to compare. 

It's hard to keep up 🙃 

I may have missed it, but have you done this comparison yet? 

1 hour ago, adamaley said:

Speaking of fiber, rumor has it that the Finisar SFPs are better than the Planet Techs. Any intention to give them a shot?

I compared the Planet Techs with the Finisar FTLF1324P2BTL-MC SFP back in the June time frame, and felt I liked the Planet Techs better.

I've lost track since then, there appear to be some new faves after this? In any case, my motivation has dropped at this point. :)

A couple of dates to keep for AMD announcements.

Zen 3 CPUs  October 8 (12PM EDT)  

RX 6000 GPUs  October 28 (12PM EDT)

I am hoping for an Intel announcement of Rocket Lake-S desktop CPUs in the same timeframe, but they may have slipped into 1Q2021.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Here is something that adds a massive improvement to the SQ

Again many thanks to Nenon who discovered Buffalo and continued with modding and searching for the best only as well as the others like Austinpop and many more for confirming this is the way to go.
Rajiv was also so kind to share his excellent experience with Buffalo he got from Nenon! 
There is no way back to older switch.

By having 4 in total Buffalows I have a comfort of expermenting much more.

9 hours ago, cool_chris said:

Here is something that adds a massive improvement to the SQ

Again many thanks to Nenon who discovered Buffalo and continued with modding and searching for the best only as well as the others like Austinpop and many more for confirming this is the way to go.
Rajiv was also so kind to share his excellent experience with Buffalo he got from Nenon! 
There is no way back to older switch.

By having 4 in total Buffalows I have a comfort of expermenting much more.

I am using a 10gteck (fiber) + LPS 1.2  with my modded Buffalo + Sbooster + ultra and I felt a notable sound upgrade. From there it goes to an opticalModule + LPS 1.2 and then eR + Farad. Amazing sound 😅

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 6:35 PM, atxkyle said:

Based on the chatter on this thread, I ordered a 32G Optane card and did some A/B testing between it and my Samsung Evo SSD.  This is on my Intel NUC (NUC7i3BNH) server running Roon ROCK.  Music storage is on a USB stick.

In my case, the Optane brought a subtle upgrade to imaging/separation and realism. 

It took several back and forth changes comparing the same 5-6 tracks to be sure of what I was hearing.  This wasn't nearly as big an improvement as I've experienced with tweaks (e.g. improving power supplies).  However, it was only $60 for the 32G Optane card, and it's nice to get any sort of improvement for that small an investment.  And as a little side bonus, Roon is also running faster for me with the Optane.  

ATXKYLE

I finally got around to trying to load Rock onto an Optane drive I had that came with my NUC, but ran into a dead end. The install appears to go fine. The Rock USB Boot drive sees the Optane, loads and gets to the installation successful point of the install. However when I try to boot from the the optane drive containing Roon Rock I get the attached string and a frozen boot. Did you or any other readers come across this in their trials? Wondering if this is something that needs to be addressed in the BIOS settings.

Roon Rock Install Screenshot.jpg

EtherRegen powered by Sonore UltraCap LPS1.2 -> Optical Cable ->OpticalRendu powered by SGC 50w LPS -> Ghent silver plated ->star quad USB (JSSG360)->Denafrips Hermes DDC -> i2S HDMI (Clocked by Terminator Dac via BNC)->Denafrips Terminator II Dac->Linear Tube Audio Preamplifier->Melody 845M Monoblocks -> Silversmith Fidelium Speaker Cables->Pure Audio Project Trio15 Coaxial Open Baffle Speakers->2X SVS 4000 Subwoofers->All connected to PSAudio P10 Power Plant

@sandston -- the directions for installing rock include a few comments about the bios -- i'd check that out first.  if that doesn't get you anywhere, then i'd reset the settings (there's a f-key for that) in the bios on the nuc and try again.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Thanks jcn3 for your input. I came across those settings recommendations and have reset the bios a started again. Didn't get me any farther

EtherRegen powered by Sonore UltraCap LPS1.2 -> Optical Cable ->OpticalRendu powered by SGC 50w LPS -> Ghent silver plated ->star quad USB (JSSG360)->Denafrips Hermes DDC -> i2S HDMI (Clocked by Terminator Dac via BNC)->Denafrips Terminator II Dac->Linear Tube Audio Preamplifier->Melody 845M Monoblocks -> Silversmith Fidelium Speaker Cables->Pure Audio Project Trio15 Coaxial Open Baffle Speakers->2X SVS 4000 Subwoofers->All connected to PSAudio P10 Power Plant

I am thinking to establish a “WiFI bridge” to mimic the bridge concept described in this thread.  I almost 100% sure people here already successfully implemented it but searched around I failed to identify anything similar.  

In a typical bridge, hardware wise, Ethernet connections are established between a router and a computer (Mac Mini), and between the computer and a streamer (SOtM’s sMS 200).  Software wise, virtual link is established by combining two physical connections listed above as a bridge.  Now, I would like to replace the second connection listed above, namely the Ethernet connection between Mac Mini and sMS 200, with a WiFI connection by taking the advantage of sMS 200’s WiFI capability.  I have successfully established the WiFI connection between the router and sMS 200, indicating hardware-wise, sMS 200 is capable taking wireless signal.  Next I tried to use the sharing function in Mac Mini to turn it into a WiFI hotspot by sharing “Ethernet” using “WiFI Ports” with other computers such as sMS 200.  However, when I went to sMS 200’s  web-based interphase to establish the WiFI connection with the “Hotspot” from Mac Mini, the hotspot was visible but sMS 200 failed to connect to it.  

Wonder if anyone can share their experience how to do it or the expert’s opinion if it even can be done.

Thank you very much!
12 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

....by taking the advantage of sMS 200’s WiFI capability.  I have successfully established the WiFI connection between the router and sMS 200, indicating hardware-wise, sMS 200 is capable taking wireless signal.

Uh, not sure what you have going there because the SOtM sMS-200 series do not have WiFi capability built in.  :S

14 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

I am thinking to establish a “WiFI bridge” to mimic the bridge concept described in this thread.  I almost 100% sure people here already successfully implemented it but searched around I failed to identify anything similar.  

In a typical bridge, hardware wise, Ethernet connections are established between a router and a computer (Mac Mini), and between the computer and a streamer (SOtM’s sMS 200).  Software wise, virtual link is established by combining two physical connections listed above as a bridge.  Now, I would like to replace the second connection listed above, namely the Ethernet connection between Mac Mini and sMS 200, with a WiFI connection by taking the advantage of sMS 200’s WiFI capability.  I have successfully established the WiFI connection between the router and sMS 200, indicating hardware-wise, sMS 200 is capable taking wireless signal.  Next I tried to use the sharing function in Mac Mini to turn it into a WiFI hotspot by sharing “Ethernet” using “WiFI Ports” with other computers such as sMS 200.  However, when I went to sMS 200’s  web-based interphase to establish the WiFI connection with the “Hotspot” from Mac Mini, the hotspot was visible but sMS 200 failed to connect to it.  

Wonder if anyone can share their experience how to do it or the expert’s opinion if it even can be done.

Thank you very much!

I have a different dream .

Get all wifi off !

Wifi is causing unfortunately so much destruction to the SQ that I can't think of using it.

I am using a separate access point with lowerst wifi power and isolate it with short fibre as well as 2 ethernet isolators .

All 3 isolators on the single ethernet to access point. It all brings nice effects.

I wish I could turn it off completely but not sure how to setup the server control / remote in different way.